Dodge Nitro Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Replacing a RET Radio with a used MyGig Radio

Sorry for reviving this old thread but it seemed to be the right one for asking my question.

In my 2008 Nitro I have a RET radio (6 CD changer) installed. I was thinking now of searching for a used MyGig radio (car salvage yard, etc.). I know that I need a MyGig REW (European version) with the high speed CAN bus. What I am not sure about, however, is the question if I need to get the new radio somehow keyed to my car. Aren't all these radios electronically matched to a particular car as a theft deterrent?

Many thanks for helping,
Roland

·
Registered
124 Posts
Once you have purchased your MyGig and have it installed you will need to see the dealer and have them update your sales code to include the new radio. Depending on the dealer price could range from $50 - $150 american of course.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Here's my question. I have a found someone with a 730n in his 08 nitro and I wanna upgrade to it. He will sell it to me for a decent price, but only will take it out if I def wanna buy it so he can order his new radio. I have a 11 nitro shock. Will his radio def work in my car?

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
All Nitros run on a High Speed CanBus system so any radio out of any model year Nitro will work. Also, the Minivans and the Jeep Wrangler radios are compatible. I presently have a mygig RBZ out of a 2014 Town and Country, so I have all of the latest features and software. The last two letters of a part number indicate a slight change - maybe a software update. The issue becomes adding a mygig if you do not presently have one, because some mygigs have Uconnect built in and some do not. This can become an issue if you have Factory Uconnect, or you want to add it. Then there is Sirius to consider - antenna? Or Nav; again antenna? I believe all of the Mopar radios were updated around 2010, so I personally would not consider anything older. Then, there are software updates to consider. If you install a mygig, have your dealer add it to your build sheet. Then you are entitled to free software updates. There is a lot to consider: what you presently have, and what do you want?

:cool:

·
Registered
23 Posts
It is a high speed bus unit. The lady I bought it from had it installed in a 2011 liberty. I have found good literature on the mygig units but there doesn't seem to be much info on the RHB unit in which I purchased.

I'm 90% sure it is an issue with the can bus. If my dealer was of any help they could probably program it. I do know the unit works, as I tested it in my avenger. I do know that it should be plug and play in my nitro. The frustration is I cannot get it to respond.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I probably posted in the wrong section when I was crying for help.

I'm going to see if someone from this old thread will have some better info. I own a 2"11 nitro heat. It came with the factory RES unit and I am trying to replace it with a RHB unit I purchased off eBay. The part number is P05091184AC

It is listed as high speed bus. When installed it's lifeless, (tested in my girlfriends avenger and it powers on). I have read about having to go to a dealer to have the option for my gig added. Would this fix my problems less the security code that I am awaiting from the previous owner?

Any help is appreciated or I'm stuck with a $400 paperweight

·
Registered
23 Posts
Please note this unit was purchased new and installed on a 2011 jeep liberty. When powered on inside the avenger it displayed jeep and asked for the security code which I am working on getting from the seller

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
2011 liberty donor vehicle, 2011 nitro and 2011 avenger street edition. Note that the liberty had the non my gig unit and she upgraded to the RHB before selling it she removed it and sold it to me. I am hoping they can use star scan and it's a programming issue. I am about to call the stealership, will report back if it's a fix.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The 2011 liberty has the Hi-Frequency Hi-speed can bus. It is essentially the same but operates at a higher frequency. They are not compatible.

2007-2013 Avenger - Low Speed

2007-2010 Liberty – High Speed 2011-2013 Liberty (new bus speed and will require the RHB/RHR navigation system)

I am not sure if the avenger allows power without the can bus communicating with the radio, but I am fairly certain that the Nitro does not activate the HU without a signal.

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
See above again I edited my post.

·
Registered
23 Posts
According to what I have read on the nitro and liberty, both are high speed. The info you have on the avenger may not be correct for the street edition. The reason for the hunch is the rhb unit powers up in the avenger which is equipped with the RBz model from the factory.

Am I wrong to assume the rhb should work in the nitro if it works in the liberty since both are high speed BUS? Also you are correct that the unit gets signal from the bus to power on. In order to install an aftermarket head unit I would have to tap a signal wire for the acc. on an aftermarket unit.

I do know now that I got a really good deal on the rhb unit as it's preloaded with navigation on the HDD. I shouldn't have any issues getting my money back if I can't make it work.

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
OEM part # RHB 2011 Nitro is 05064845AF new part# 5091337AF
I do not have the Libby 2011 parts catalog to cross check it. But 5091337AF is also listed as a valid Jeep #. Just don't know for what years.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This one is a 0509

My stealer ship wants $100 to look at it. They can't even tell me if programming will fix it. What happened to customer service? I don't mind paying the $100 but I would rather not be out the money if they are unsure if it will fix it.

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
I was able to cross check the OEM part # with the 2011 Libby. They are the same as 2011 Nitro.
05064845AF new part# 5091337AF
My bad above I listed the wrong part#. Corrected posts above. Sorry about that.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.