Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been having some intermitant issues lately with my MyGig system (i.e. sometimes shutting down after being on at the last start up, volume control disappearing, etc.). As such, I've done a lot of reading on updating the firmware and am pretty experienced with computers and firmware updates.

However, despite following the update steps to a "T" available on some other Dodge/Jeep sites, I for the life of me cannot seem to create a disc that will work. I managed to create an updated disc for the Grace Notes without any issue and that is now fully up to date.

The firmware version on my Nitro is 9.713. The next step is to update to the 9.807 and finally the 2.404. I've tried burning on different media, using two different computers and a variety of burning software on the lowest speed possible. So far I've only managed to create 10+ shiny coaster as the MyGig recongizes it as a data CD/DVD and after a few seconds indicates that it is the "wrong disc for software update". Anyone have any clue or able to help me out with discs that already have the software on them? I'll pay for the cost of your discs and shipping of course.

Thanks,

·
Lighting Guru!
3,633 Posts
I am not sure which site you looked on for directions but the few I have used in the past are very strict with the burning software to use.
The site I used years ago recommends:
Nero Media Suite or Express Burn Disc Burning Software by NCH
Also, I have attached the installation instructions below from the site: (even thoguht this is probably what you did):
I know when I did this years ago, placing the files correctly was vital to succeeding at this.

1- Unzip it
2- you will see a folder. make sure that the folder title is RER_2.403 and that there are 2 files and 1 folder inside that "RER_2.403" folder.
3- Insert a CD
4- (Mac users only!) right click the RER_2.403 folder
5- you will see Burn "RER_2.403" to a disk. click it
6- double check the CD name. again make sure it's RER_2.403 or it will not run on your nav.
7- select the slowest speed to burn.
8- wait for it to finish.
9- start your vehicle and wait for the Mygig to load.
10- insert CD
11- wait for the screen to load. then select update.
12- DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING! DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR VEHICLE! let it install and then once it's done it will restart.
13- Mygig will bring you back to that same screen you were prompt in step 11. at that point you can eject the CD and shut off your vehicle

I no longer know where my CD is. At one time, you could request an update CD from Dodge directly, but you have to call them.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks meder24. You are right that I followed those steps to the letter. I will see if I can find other media and try again. I believe Dodge no longer provides those update discs. Overall, a pretty frustrating process for what should be so simple.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One additional quick question I have, can I go from 9.713 to 2.404 directly or do I have to do 9.807 in between? I've read that you have to update those in sequence but would be much happier doing one update.

·
Lighting Guru!
3,633 Posts
I agree with you there. It should not be that hard.

I do believe that you can just go to the most recent update. They no longer release updates for RER and REN models, so whatever you can find as the most recent is the best you can do.
Assuming you have the older version of MyGig.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright, today I decided this thing wasn't going to beat me any longer. I've been working on computers for far too long to have this defeat me.

After some challenges, I finally got my system updated to 2.404. To be safe, and as recommended by the gentleman who hosts the files online, I went first from 9.713 to 9.807 and then 2.404.

The trick for me was to use ImgBurn (couldn't find a free version of Nero that would handle files this size) and ensure that ISO9600 and Joliet volume naming conventions were selected. Joliet wasn't by default in the program. If these aren't selected it causes some kind of internal issue with the MyGig and they won't be recognized. I now have two working update discs if anyone needs them in the future.

Glad that friggin monkey is off my back!

·
Registered
266 Posts
Routs, most of your post was "Greek" to me, I just don't understand most of it! That's why this forum is great, knowledgeable people, willing to help! I will need to look into all the radio updates on my next Nitro. Happy endings are Great!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Routs, Shot in the dark here. I think I'm having a similar issue with my radio and need to update the firmware. I have a 2011 Nitro though, and the only symptom I'm having is that the AM/FM has stopped working, everything else is still fine. Hoping this firmware update fixes it. hopefully you're still around 5 years later!

I now have two working update discs if anyone needs them in the future.

Glad that friggin monkey is off my back!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.