Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else have concerns over the sound quality?
I really like the head unit and it seems to be a quality unit, Harmon Kardon, I believe.
I find the sound quality to be poor. Flat and un-dynamic is the best way I can think of describing it. Especially as i turn it up a bit.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I really like the head unit and it seems to be a quality unit, Harmon Kardon, I believe.
I find the sound quality to be poor. Flat and un-dynamic is the best way I can think of describing it. Especially as i turn it up a bit.
nifie - early on, I don't remember which post, that was one of my earliest concerns with MyGig. What I said earlier was that I think the dub speed is too fast and the recorded quality isn't as good as the original. Plus I have noticed sound anomalies not associated with the original. A CD playing also seems to be louder (and it sounds better) than the same song recorded on MyGIG. Overall, I sill like MyGIG. But I do think they can improve it a lot.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Does it say in the manual for the MyGIG what bit rate music is ripped at? By what is being said quality is being sacrificed for quantity. I was really surprised at the memory hog the NAV system is. 12gigs out of 20. WOW!! :eek:

Nice unit though. Sooner or later someone will hack the OS and install a larger hard drive. Change the GUI and operating parameters. Give it some time it.

Also for the sound, the speakers are really poor. I also wasn't impressed with the Infinity sound system. Definitely flat.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Has anyone out there tried doing upgrades to their MyGIG yet?
ie. replacement sepakers?
Well being one who works inside dealerships upgrading vehicles I'll tell you swapping speakers won't help much. It's all in the stereo itself. For some reason DCX radios play very flat no matter what you do. The only fix (if you want to keep the radio) is to install small amplifiers with a good, multi-octave crossover in it. The easiest is to just replace the stereo.

Case in point, my srt4 came with the factory Kicker setup. That consisted of 7 Kicker speakers. The fronts were componets, the rears were 6x9 and then in had a 10" sub in the trunk. It was OK but still very flat. Once I swapped out stereo it sound 100x better. It was much more deep. It now had more crips highs and more punchy lows.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
guys,
when you change radios did you keep the same functionality as far as steering wheel controls?
what radio do you recommend?
I have a factory MyGig.

I am going to show my age here. The best headunit I have ever owned was a quadraphonic Sayno 8-track in the early '80s when 8-tracks were beginning to die and get replaced with cassetts. Poncho, you are correct, sound quality has nothing to do with how powerful the speakers are or the output power of the amp.

8-tracks ruled for over 20 years. Cassetts died a quick death being replaced with CDs. Compression, compression, compression. I say the best sound quality was the 8-track with literally 8 separate tracks for beautifully un-compressed music.

I jumped on the digital bandwagon with everyone else, but sometimes I wish I could go back. It's no fun when the sound in your head is better than the sound from the speakers!

·
Registered
790 Posts
Remember that ripping music from CD to MP3 is like 3% loss of audio quality. Compressing it back to CD is another 3% loss (always copy the MP3 to disc & you eliminate this loss).
Do it a few times & compression loss is dramatic, and the sound quality suffers as a result.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I was a full-time home theater integrator for a few years, and I have developed a tuned ear through listening to a multitude of speaker/amp combinations, in a 'home theater' environment, mind you. A vehicle could be considered a world apart when comparing to a full home theater environment, but it does have this similarity: you are pumping audio waves into a confined space, and want the best sound possible from your audio setup.
Having said all that, when I first heard the MyGig in my vehicle, I was unimpressed and disappointed. I was expecting a whole lot more fidelity, considering the curb-appeal of the unit, and the Infinity brand on the subwoofer. Here's a few thoughts:
1) As with 'home theater', the quality of the amplifier and the quality of the speakers makes a big difference. If you bought a home theater rig where the amplifier and speakers came as a package, the end-user experience will not be the same as if you had purchased separates. A $1200 home-theater-in-a-box setup will certainly sound inferior to a $2500 amp with a $5000+ speaker package.
2) The factory package in the Nitro is similar to the home-theater-in-a-box.
3) The MyGig unit is being sold for the $1800 mark by certain vendors, but you have to consider what the MyGig is. It's not only an audio amp, but it's also a [email protected] GPS, a Sirius satellite receiver, a built-in iPod style device, a wireless-phone microphone-speaker system, and it has a 20GB hard drive, among other things!
4) Infinity is a speaker brand name, just like Bose or Boston or Paradigm. Any and all of these manufacturers have different levels of quality/performance within their product offering, and I am suspecting that the Infinity speakers in the Nitro are not the same quality that might go into a $60,000 SUV. A speaker upgrade would help, but like ponchonutty indicated, the source equipment (MyGig) has it's limitations. If you take a $50 amp and feed it into a $20,000 speaker system, ...
5) The source itself is also a consideration. In your home theater setup, what sounds better: cable TV, or a THX-rated DVD? Similarly, in the Nitro, the MyGig will sound better listening to an MP3 ripped on your home computer at a high sample rate than a CD ripped on the MyGig. (I found that the MyGig does a poor job of ripping CDs to MP3s - just don't do it!)
6) Having an amp/crossover go-between from the MyGig to the Infinitys or to a speaker upgrade may still not provide the audio quality you are looking for. A comparison would be using a $40 DVD player into your $2500 Denon amp in your home theater setup, vs a $250 DVD into the same smokin' amp. The source equipment still needs to be considered, right?
7) Sometimes, it's just best to look at things as a compromise. the MyGig has all the bling mentioned in note 3 above ... what's the most paramount for you? Do you like the cool-ability of the MyGig, with the '3 out of 5 stars' in audio quality, or do you need to rip the whole thing out and go with a head-unit and speakers that will give you the '5 out of 5' in audio quality, but would force you to lose all of the bling of the MyGig?
8) Some audiophiles would say that good ole' vinyl records are the very best audio source, with a vacuum-tube based amp to drive horn speakers. When and if somebody ever puts something like that in their Nitro, I will crap my pants when I see the picture. I saw a turntable installation one time on "Pimp my Ride", but that was KrAZy! Pump it up, y'all.

Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for confirming my initial assesment re: sound quality.
I do like the head unit and having the MyGIG was very high up on my must have option list.
I just need to find a way to improve what I've got to make it sound a little better.
I'm not really buying the fact that all DCX audio plays flat.
I'm happy with the system in my Magnum RT (especially after adding the oem SRT8 subwoofer).
I think the head unit is Alpine and the speakers and amp are Boston Acoustics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Change speakers. I got Boston audio set installed in mine and sound is way better. And don't use CD rip function to WMA, do it outside the unit and give 320K mp3 to it.

ddff

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Welcome to the forum shaneags.

When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

I can't assist with your question, but welcome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.