Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, please don’t anybody shoot me. My question is for WarriorBob because he has had his MyGIG longer than anyone. What does the navigation owner’s manual say about the USB port?

I have been reading about the Mitsubishi version of this device. It is not made by HK and has been working correctly and installed in the '07 Outlander since late last fall. The Mitsubishi Navigation unit has a 30gig hard drive, but only 6gig is available to store music tracks. The other parts are set up for specific use by the navigation unit and an on-board computer that operates as a music server, tracks maintenance intervals, fuel consumption, etc. Otherwise, it looks very similar to MyGIG and operates much the same way.

I am not trying to give anyone on the forum ideas. The '07 Outlander is having as many or more problems than the Nitro. First year jitters as it were. Size wise, the Nitro is better, and the Nitro R/T has more h/p and torque than the Outlander's 3.0L (220hp) could ever muster. The Outlander is actually a car, whereas the Nitro is actually a truck. All I am saying is that considering the partnership that Chrysler has had with Mitsubishi, there was an option other than going with the Harman-Kardon infotainment system we know today as MyGIG. Too bad Mitshubishi doesn't sell this unit retail, because it looks like it would be a perfect fit in the Nitro. It is about the same price as some aftermarket headunits. See photos.

The other thing that Mitsubishi seems to have got right is their transfer case for 4WD. You can select 2WD (front), 4WD part time, where the computer transfers up to 20% of torque to rear drive wheels, or AWD full time, where the computer directs torque to any wheel with traction. You can drive in any mode all the time, or select 2WD to save fuel.

It's kind of funny, but looking at the Outlander you can see some of the same parts as in Chrysler vehicles. For example, the seats are the same as the upscale seats in the Caliber/Compass. You know the ones with the pneumatic seat height adjustment. Same handle and everything! Same exact fit too, yes I tried them.

·
Registered
415 Posts
sorry i have not actually used the USB port yet so i cant give any insite on how it works from actual experience...........

but from what the manual says......you use the USB port to DL the music (or pics)to the hard drive then you have to play it from the hard drive

from what i see you use the AUX input to play MP3, video games, or your ipod directly through the MyGIG

so it looks like you can play music and videos (MP3) through the system without saving to the HD by using the AUX jack and the USB port is strictly used to upload data to the HD

·
Registered
415 Posts
Bummer, but pretty much what I expected. Thank you Bob.
am far from a audio/video expert but what makes the difference if you can only upload from the USB post as long as you have the AUX jack to play the music MP3 and video right through the MyGiG? is that not the same thing just doing it with a different port configuragtion?

sorry if i sound dumb D'OHH hehehe

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Bob, let me go back and find the review I was reading to make sure that I understood it correctly. I'll have to do some searching, it was something I came across at 2:30 AM last night.

Ok, found it. Big dummy me, the guy writing the review mixed in at least three different headunits into his article. One was MyGIG, one the Mitsu., and one an un-named aftermarket unit with a USB. He was going on about how easy is was to use a memory stick in the USB instead of fighting with an mp3 player. I got the latter confused in the middle of the night thinking he was talking about the Mitsu. headunit. So, just now I did some searching. Little did I know, but USB head units have been on the market for a little over a year. Most of them limit the USB memory stick, (Microdrive, Cruzer micro, etc.) to 1gig, or 255 files. Playing these files appears to be as simple as playing them on MyGIG, with just a lot smaller memory capacity.

Re-reading that review, it appears there is very little difference between MyGIG and the Mitsu. system, except they had their's on the market first. For all practical purposes, the USB on MyGIG is the same as these other headunits, the only difference is if you have used up all your song space on MyGIG hard drive, you will have to delete some of it first before you can transfer files from your microdrive.

From that review:

Mitsubishi, for instance, is including an optional in-dash navigation/AM/FM/CD audio system in its redesigned 2007 Outlander compact SUV that automatically transfers music files from any CD you play to the system's built-in hard drive. The drive, which also holds the maps and other data for the navigation system, has a 30 gigabyte capacity, of which 6 gigabytes is reserved for music files.

That's enough space for about 1,200 songs (about 104 hours of music) in MP3 format, Mitsubishi says. Once the CD has been transferred to the hard drive, you can leave it at home and play the songs on the disc directly from the hard drive in the dash.

There's no way to stop the unit from copying your CD to the hard drive, but once it's there, you can remove some or all of the tracks as you wish, Mitsubishi officials said. This idea puts a stop to lost or damaged compact discs, as long as you remember to put the disc back in its case and take it back into the house after its contents have been transferred to the car system.
The system also plays DVD videos on its dash-mounted seven-inch LCD screen (but not while the vehicle is in motion), and comes equipped for addition of Sirius satellite radio The system stores map data for the 48 lower states and Canada.

"Using a hard drive for map storage rather than DVDs, as most other navigation systems do, gives the Outlander navigation system ultra-fast search and access to the map data," Mitsubishi said in announcing the availability of the system.

The system also has an onboard driving computer, which has displays for outside air temperature, average fuel economy, current fuel economy, distance to empty and driving time. The hard drive can feed the music files to an optional 650-watt Rockford-Fosgate audio system, which can be controlled through the navigation system's touch screen.
When equipped with the optional rear-seat DVD entertainment system, the dash screen can display the video from a disc running on the rear system, and the rear system can display the programming from a DVD running from the CD/DVD slot on the dash navigation system, Mitsubishi says,
Further details about the system haven't been released, and no price has been announced, but it will be offered only on the uplevel XLS model. The new Outlander goes on sale in mid-November.

Chrysler is offering a similar combined navigation/audio system in the redesigned 2007 midsize Sebring sedan, and later will offer the system on some of its other 2007 models, including the Dodge Nitro and Jeep Wrangler. The Chrysler system, which was developed by audio stalwart Harman/Kardon, comes with a 20-gig hard drive, and it will allow you to download music, photos and maps either from compact discs or a USB port on the unit.

The Chrysler system, called MyGIG, is a $1,700 option, and will be available in late fall or early winter, but not on the early models of the Sebring that are coming off the assembly line now. Chrysler says some software problems still are being ironed out.

·
Registered
415 Posts
wow their is alot of good info to take in, like i said i am not real smart when it comes to audio video stuff
it seems each unit has its good and bad (basically what i am trying to say is each unit has different cool things.
one thing that is great is their is competition out there and that is making each manufacturer work harder to add new and cool things to their units

thanks for the info and i know each and every person will pick a unit that works great for what they are looking for

:beerchug:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
am far from a audio/video expert but what makes the difference if you can only upload from the USB post as long as you have the AUX jack to play the music MP3 and video right through the MyGiG? is that not the same thing just doing it with a different port configuragtion?
Bob, there is a difference. We had a discussion here previously about the limiting factor of the 20gig hard drive at only allowing for what?, about 9gig of music space. I believe that we thought originally this would be about 15gig, back in December.

Bob, I really don't want to get into mp3 players, ipods, etc. because I believe the technology will be short lived just like 8-track tapes, cassettes, and VCRs. Not only that, but I don't want to attempt to shuffle through an Ipod while driving. I want the control to be within MyGIG itself.

Microdrives are now available up to 4gig. With technology improving all the time, I am certain within a couple of years, you will be able to put 20gig in a microdrive. The small cards like we use in our digital cameras can also be used in USB adapters and will double as a microdrive. Still, with several of these, you could store unlimited amounts of music or video and not worry about storage space on MyGIG. You will just have to delete before you can store new files.

Had Harman-Kardon configured the use of the USB port to other than download only, it could have been used to expand the memory capacity of MyGIG the same way an external hard drive increased the capacity of a desk top computer. Only time will tell where we will truly end up, and as with all things in car audio, MyGIG is just a stepping stone to the next new big thing, one we seem to be willing to wait months to get!:D :ura1:

·
Registered
415 Posts
technology is a wonderful thing always giving more storage and features for hopefully less money

i am not sure how much of the MyGiG HD is taken up by the nav maps i think they should have had that info on a secondary HD to leave the whole 20 gig for music storage. but with the MyGiG able to store 1,600 4 minute CD quality songs it will take me a while to fill her up........but then i am sure their are many people out there that can fill it up in no time (like you said thats when it would be nice to have the ability to expand the HD, and hopefully they will someday give us MyGiG owners that option)

·
Registered
6 Posts
gps touch screen

Hi Warriorbob or whoever has the mygig.

Are you able to redirect a POI while driving using only the touch screen?

In other words, If going from point A to point B and you need to seach for a POI for lunch, can you add a POI while driving, or do you need to stop and type it in the touch screen?

Just a question in case the voice activation does not work, or if you need to type in a POI?

Thanks in advance.

Mike in Seal Beach

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hi Warriorbob or whoever has the mygig.

Are you able to redirect a POI while driving using only the touch screen?

In other words, If going from point A to point B and you need to seach for a POI for lunch, can you add a POI while driving, or do you need to stop and type it in the touch screen?

Just a question in case the voice activation does not work, or if you need to type in a POI?

Thanks in advance.

Mike in Seal Beach
you sure can

POI local area this finds the POI nearest where the vehicle is....like atm's, gas stations, restaurants, shopping, lodging, etc you can do this while driving with touch screen

POI nearby destination basically same as above but finds a POI you want (such as a gas station) near your destination you can do this while driving with touch screen

POI in map area just as it says it finds a lets say atm in the are shown on the whole map area you can do this with touch screen while driving

·
Registered
21 Posts
What is the problem with the 8 GB the myGig system offers? That is not enough music for you? You could burn a double layer DVD filled up with your favorite mp3's and listen to that additional to your 8 GB on the harddrive and at the same time you can navigate and also listen to satellite radio? How many songs do you need while you drive?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.