Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, a check engine light came on and I'm not sure what it is for. My Nitro starts up without a hitch, idles smoothly, accelerates smooth, changes gears like it is supposed to. I hope it is nothing serious. Any help in this regard would be awesome.

· Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
29,175 Posts
Check the gas cap is tight and the rubber seal is in good shape. Maybe even put a little Vaseline on the rubber gasket.

· The Univalent Radical
7,284 Posts
You could reset any stored memory by disconnecting the negative terminal on your battery for 10 minutes, or so. If you do this and the light is off, there is an issue and you should get it checked out. If it is off, the issue was minor, and the problem fixed itself.

:cool:

· Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok....I took it in and the code was P0456, Evaporative Emission System Leak, minor leak detected. I'm not even sure where to begin with that.

· Premium Member
29,175 Posts
99% of the time this is the Gas cap or gas cap seal ...

· Premium Member
29,175 Posts
I sure need some help. The check engine light came on. I have a 2007 Nitro. I had it read and the number came out P0440. I replaced gas cap. Engine light is still on. What next?
Welcome to the forum Tammy. :wave:
Sorry it is under these circumstances.
When you have a chance, head over to the
Newbie Section and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

What engine and year do you have?
P0440 Evaporative emission (EVAP) system - malfunction Hose connection(s), intake leak, EVAP canister purge valve
The EVAP Purge solenoid is located under the hood. Make sure all hoses are connected correctly.
On the 3.7 the solenoid is located right next to the battery and windshield washer fluid tank.

This will sound strange but if you go here, How-To install JeepinbyAL 2.5 inch spring lift, in a 2007 Dodge Nitro open the 2.5 Inch Lift Part 1a.pdf file, the first Pic is the EVAP solenoid in the 3.7.

· The Univalent Radical
7,284 Posts
I sure need some help. The check engine light came on. I have a 2007 Nitro. I had it read and the number came out P0440. I replaced gas cap. Engine light is still on. What next?
Welcome to the forum. I, too, am sorry to see that you joined under these circumstances. Looks like ScarO has you covered. There is a lot to learn here, to help you keep your Nitro running top notch.

· Registered
81 Posts
I have a 2007 Nitro SXT 3.7L with 56000 Kms. Ok I'm confused. Engine check light is on. No codes. Had the plugs replaced and reset computer and engine check light went away. Now a week later it is back on. Checked for codes and nothing stored. I hate to pay the dealer to run diagnosics to tell me the same thing and I also hate to take the car in blind so they can maybe dream up a problem. Gas cap is on tight. The only thing I haven't done is replace it. Vehicle runs great!!! Anyone have any ideas or other areas to check???

Thanks

· Registered
81 Posts
Try this: disconnect the negative terminal on your battery for ten minutes or so, to purge any memory, and see what you get.

In my post I explained that I had already done that. I said I had reset the computer (this has been done twice) taking the neg terminal off the battery and I left it off for probably 20-30 minutes.

· Premium Member
29,175 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Yes I tried the key dance and also the dash light check this morning and ... no codes stored. I have also read in my travels that some of the scanners don't recognize all codes. I'll drop into the local autoparts store tomorrow and if all fails I might just have to visit the dealer ... :shakehead:

· Premium Member
29,175 Posts
If the CEL has not lit after a battery disconnect then there will be no codes.
If you currently have a CEL on, then the auto parts store should be able to get it. There are a few exceptions however, that only Dodge can get to.

· Registered
81 Posts
*** Just a note that might come in handy ***

As you can see from posts in this thread I also had problems with an engine check light and could never pull a code. I went to a local auto store and bought a new gas cap as this thread suggested and still had the same issue. Finally ended up going to the dealer and they checked for a code. Said it was an EVAP issue and suggested I change the gas cap. Explained that I had already. Said they would clear the code and if the problem came back they would look into further. I explained I had already done that and problem came back. The Tech said only other suggestion is to purchase an OEM gas cap from the parts dept to see if that might help. I purchased an OEM gas cap and my problems were solved. The OEM gas cap solved the problem. Maybe this might help some of you down the road.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts