Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has had issues with locking her doors (they would unlock but not lock [neither the fob or the interior button worked]) for about 6 months. Now she tried to start her 08 Nitro but it would not start (dash lights still worked but nothing else). So naturally we think it is the battery. Take the battery to AutoZone and they said that the battery is at 0% and 10 volts so they tried to charge it but said that the battery will not hold a charge. They replaced the battery because it was purchased only 2 years ago. I go to install the battery (I connected the neg terminal first) and nothing powers on. I disconnect the neg terminal and check the fuses (everything looked good). When I reconnected the neg terminal, the radio starts cycling through cd's but does not turn on (I start to think I'm getting some where). I disconnect the neg terminal again and check the fuses again and make sure that the TIPM is connected securely. Now when I reconnect the neg terminal the horn starts blaring and the wipers turn on. So my question is, do I have a bad TIPM? Or, is there something else I can check? Please note that I do not have a multimeter to check continuity.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,459 Posts
Sorry to say the horn blasting and wipers going by themselves are common symptoms of a bad TIPM. The doors not unlocking is also a symptom of bad relays that are built into the computer board inside the TIPM, which could cause a short to other components. Thus the drained battery.
Lucky you did not have a fire...

BTW Always disconnect Neg (-) first then Pos (+), reconnect Pos (+) then Neg (-)!
NEVER disconnect the Pos (+) with Neg (-) still connected, and NEVER connect the Neg (-) without the Pos (+) already connected.
If you do it backward, you can fry the TIPM, as another member here learned the hard way...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to say the horn blasting and wipers going by themselves are common symptoms of a bad TIPM. The doors not unlocking is also a symptom of bad relays that are built into the computer board inside the TIPM, which could cause a short to other components. Thus the drained battery.
Lucky you did not have a fire...

BTW Always disconnect Neg (-) first then Pos (+), reconnect Pos (+) then Neg (-)!
NEVER disconnect the Pos (+) with Neg (-) still connected, and NEVER connect the Neg (-) without the Pos (+) already connected.
If you do it backward, you can fry the TIPM, as another member here learned the hard way...
Thanks Scar0... I thought it was the TIPM, but I was hoping it was something else. Now my next question, I looked up TIPM replacements but found 2 options, which one do I choose?

This is the cheapest I've found:

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com...ml?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts
That is a really good price for a TIPM! But, if it is too good to be true it usually is. Odds are if you ordered it you would get a "Sorry out of stock." message...

That part # is a 2010 TIPM for a rig with the OEM tow package.

Not sure if it will work in your 08.
When I checked the part # compatibility with 08 #s it was not cross-referenced.
Not even sure if it could be backwards programmed to work.
The TIPM 7 went through several changes over the years the Nitro was produced, so not all are compatible with all years.

You can call your local dealer and ask them what TIPM part #s will work in your 08. If my mind serves me correctly in 2010 they changed some of the CAN(computer talk) systems.

A new TIPM ordered without your VIN # will most likely not have any programming in it. Your rig will not start and run.
One ordered with your VIN # will usually come programmed, Plug and play, but not always...
Some sites only use your VIN to verify the part you are ordering is "compatible" or "designed" for your rig.
Before ordering, ask specifically if it comes with your VIN/Nitro specific programming already installed.
Also ask about their return policy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a really good price for a TIPM! But, if it is too good to be true it usually is. Odds are if you ordered it you would get a "Sorry out of stock." message...

That part # is a 2010 TIPM for a rig with the OEM tow package.

Not sure if it will work in your 08.
When I checked the part # compatibility with 08 #s it was not cross-referenced.
Not even sure if it could be backwards programmed to work.
The TIPM 7 went through several changes over the years the Nitro was produced, so not all are compatible with all years.

You can call your local dealer and ask them what TIPM part #s will work in your 08. If my mind serves me correctly in 2010 they changed some of the CAN(computer talk) systems.

A new TIPM ordered without your VIN # will most likely not have any programming in it. Your rig will not start and run.
One ordered with your VIN # will usually come programmed, Plug and play, but not always...
Some sites only use your VIN to verify the part you are ordering is "compatible" or "designed" for your rig.
Before ordering, ask specifically if it comes with your VIN/Nitro specific programming already installed.
Also ask about their return policy.
I appreciate all of the info. Can you recommend any websites that are good to buy from?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts