Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This should have been simple, now I'm in over my head and really need help.
Changed 2009 Nitro alternator. Replacement came from 2006 Grand Cherokee. Bolt holes matched perfectly, but the connector didn't. Bought pigtail connector to match new alternator, but which pin is which?!?!?
If I guess wrong I expect I'll blow the electrical system.
Please please someone help me.

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
be very careful

on the Nitro the voltage regulator is NOT part of the generator (alternator), the voltage regulator is internal to the PCM, i'm not sure the 06 cherokee works in the same way as the Nitro (but it could, just don't know anyone who has tried it)
can you post a close up pic of the connector pins on the back of the new alternator ?,

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,127 Posts
I would not risk it. Just get the generator that is made for the Nitro.

Reactions: JPthekid

·
Registered
649 Posts
I wouldnt try it unless i was 100% sure. If wrong ur frying something id suspect. If not the alternator something else. Even if it works it may not show signs of being wrong until later when its to late.

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I decided to swap out the alternator and put in the correct one. Works like a champ.

Thank all of you for the feedback and information. I didn't want to do the work because it's so darn cold here in KC. Second time around was much smoother and way faster.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Look at bright side, may be cold but atleast u have Patrick Mahomes and a superbowl appearance coming up lol—— glad the new one worked and went smoother.... sometimes its cheaper to buy the more expensive correct part.... if u count your time and cussing to fit an offbrand/makeshift part lol hell, hardest part getting that damn serp belt back on hahahahaha did you remove the reservoir or just work around it? Go Cowboys

Reactions: Scar0

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,127 Posts
I decided to swap out the alternator and put in the correct one. Works like a champ.

Thank all of you for the feedback and information. I didn't want to do the work because it's so darn cold here in KC. Second time around was much smoother and way faster.
Glad you went that route and are happily motoring again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts