Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How the crap do you adjust the power steering belt? My belt was apparently loose and popped off the pulley tonight on the way home. Belt is still there, and I have no clue how to loosen the pump to get a new belt on.

I've loosened the three bolts holding the pump to the front cover, but that does not allow for concentric rotation of the pulley to slide a new belt on and then rotate out to tighten belt. So now I'm stuck scratching my head wondering what the crap??????

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,142 Posts
Silly but this from the the SM.
Position power steering belt on crankshaft pulley. Make sure belt is fully seated in crankshaft pulley grooves.
Position top of power steering belt on the top of the power steering pulley.
NOTE: Use only wire ties with nylon locks, not metal.
Working from the back side of the power steering pulley, insert a nylon wire tie through one of the access holes in the pulley.
Tighten the wire tie to hold the drive belt in position.
While holding the drive belt to make sure it stays in position, slowly rotate the engine clockwise.
Once the belt is in position on the pulley, continue rotating the engine until the wire tie snaps.​
Remove the wire tie from the vehicle.

There is no concentric adjustment of the PS pulley in the 4.0.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
183 Posts
HOLY friggen smokes I swear you're pulling my femur apart, but after spending literally 68min and 16sec looking as to how the crap you adjust this belt, I gave up thinking there was an adjuster. This is ridiculous. But sounds e-z enough. I dl a copy of the SM so no links on the bloded "see INSTALLATION" and I couldn't find it for the life of me. So here I have it. Thank the Lord for this board and bless you Mark for your response. Will get it and the serpentine belt replaced tonight.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,142 Posts
Glad it came in handy. There are a few quirks with repairs for every rig. This is one with the 4.0.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Position power steering belt on crankshaft pulley. Make sure belt is fully seated in crankshaft pulley grooves.
Working from the back side of the power steering pulley, insert a nylon wire tie through one of the access holes in the pulley.
While holding the drive belt to make sure it stays in position, slowly rotate the engine clockwise.
Once the belt is in position on the pulley, continue rotating the engine until the wire tie snaps.

I got my new power steering belt on the pulley. Problem is, I broke a 1 inch long chunk of the power steering pulley guide edge off. I'm going to file off the sharp edge so it won't snag the belt so easy and run it with the damaged pulley. Will update and let you know how it works out. Be careful putting that belt on and its probably not a great idea to use a screwdriver to wedge it over while turning the crank pulley!

You live and learn, or you don't live long.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,142 Posts
I got my new power steering belt on the pulley. Problem is, I broke a 1 inch long chunk of the power steering pulley guide edge off. I'm going to file off the sharp edge so it won't snag the belt so easy and run it with the damaged pulley. Will update and let you know how it works out. Be careful putting that belt on and its probably not a great idea to use a screwdriver to wedge it over while turning the crank pulley!

You live and learn, or you don't live long.
Don't run it to much that way. The missing piece makes the pulley out of balance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Looked at it again and doubt that the belt would stay on for long. Did you know the pully on the pump is plastic? Paid almost $200 for a new pulley, and a new belt as I didn't trust the one that I'd already stretched and wedged and beat up getting on. Borrowed a pulley remover/installer from autozone that worked perfectly, used the zip ties and with a little persuasion the new belt popped right on it. Reinstalled the fan/pulley assembly, drive belt, electric fan, coolant reservoir, and intake today. Install the new throttle body, reinstall air box and battery tomorrow morning. It will finally be done! Then fill it with distilled water, check for start, operation, leaks, and temp then flush cooling system. Fill up with coolant and she's on the road again. Your Prayers are welcome. Will update with how it all worked out. 🙏

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
fingers crossed everything is ok,

after driving my Nitro for 30 minutes i can hear a slight noise which sounds like it's coming from the power steering pump

Once the belt is in position on the pulley, continue rotating the engine until the wire tie snaps.

is this the same method for all Nitro models ?

Reactions: Scar0

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,142 Posts
fingers crossed everything is ok,

after driving my Nitro for 30 minutes i can hear a slight noise which sounds like it's coming from the power steering pump

is this the same method for all Nitro models ?
No only for the 4.0. The 2.8 CRD and 3.7 are driven by the serpentine belt.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Mostly happy. Is back on the road. Starts quick. Engine is smoother and more responsive than it's been in years, but, in drive at idle @ 550 there is more vibration than I'd like. Not very bad, and I can live with it, but is irritating. Temperature is running just below and right at 1/2 mark but electric fan Never comes on. I replaced the fan, relay, fuses. No fan. A/C wasn't blowing cold before, but blew a bit cooler on the highway, so I hoped the fan would fix that as I had no idea how long the fan has been inoperable. The compressor does engage, but now instead of not so cold air, hot air is blowing out. Even at night when it is cooler out, without A/C switched on, fresh air blowing in is HOT! I'm thinking blend door(?) and looking forward to digging in to that! I'll find/fix the blend door myself but I'm looking for a good shop to do the fan and A/C diagnosis/repair. And also there is an occasional loud metallic "PING" that has more of a thermal expansion sound to it. Can't locate it yet, but seems to be coming from extreme low, right, rear of engine. Anyone experienced with that? Anyway, with the new timing belt, throttle body, plugs, coils and coolant I've got a lot of miles ahead of me once the A/C is back on line. It's way too hot in Florida to enjoy the fresh air on the road.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts