Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm going to torque the head bolts on my 07 Dodge Nitro 3.7L and i decided check and make sure it's done correctly, I've already coated the engine oil however i read about coating them with a heavy coats of engine oil which i didn't do i just lightly put some oil on a rag and coated them, should i take them off and put a heavy coat of oil?

My second question is regarding the torque specs, the manual says to do a (20 ft-lbs + 90° + 90°) on the head bolts but i also read a different method of doing (15 ft-lbs + 35 ft-lbs + 90°)

Which one is the correct one?

Your help is greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
just very thin coat of clean engine oil is needed you don't want oil to get on the head gasket, there are 8 - M8 bolts which Do Not need oiling but need to be coated with Mopar lock and seal adhesive very imortant or you will have leaks,
i wouldn't go any further untill you have all the info, some of the bolts go 90° twice, sorry cant post all the info right now gotta go to work, plus it is very important that all the bolt holes are very clean, blowing them out with compressed air is the best way,

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just very thin coat of clean engine oil is needed you don't want oil to get on the head gasket, there are 8 - M8 bolts which Do Not need oiling but need to be coated with Mopar lock and seal adhesive very imortant or you will have leaks,
i wouldn't go any further untill you have all the info, some of the bolts go 90° twice, sorry cant post all the info right now gotta go to work, plus it is very important that all the bolt holes are very clean, blowing them out with compressed air is the best way,
Thanks for the reply, i did the light coat last night and didn't torque it, is that ok? Or should i re-coat them before torque them again?

As for the torque specs, i read either way works so i decided to go with (15ft-lbs + 35ft-lbs + 90°) also i just found out that i bought the wrong 1/2 torque wrench (25-250ft-lbs) 🤦 luckily i have a 1/4 torque wrench with (2-16ft-lbs) range I'll just have to get a 1/2 adapter and i guess it'll work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
here you go
Thanks, I've already checked this and i believe either procedure works.

Do you think leaving my coated bolts in the head without torque them for a couple of days would effect anything? Should I take them off clean the threads and re apply the coating?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts