Need Roof Rails | Dodge Nitro Forum

Need Roof Rails

Discussion in 'Dodge Nitro General Discussion' started by XxLoaded 04xX, Apr 3, 2018.

1. XxLoaded 04xX

XxLoaded 04xX Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Dodge Nitro 2WD Auto
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    I bought the Nitro about a month ago and in all my excitement checking out the car I didn't notice its missing the roof rails.

Does anyone know where I can get these other than paying the high price at the dealer? No junkyard near me seems to carry them either

Screen Shot 2018-04-03 at 2.47.06 PM.png

2. Metaldog

Metaldog Well-Known Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4 3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    That looks like prime opportunity to build a bolt-on rack and utilize those factory studs. Maybe even put a light bar on it.

Roof rails are over rated! :p jk

Hori and KansasNitro like this.
  3. XxLoaded 04xX

XxLoaded 04xX Member

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Only reason I'm really looking is I have rust spots where they used to be. I cleaned it up some but want it covered

4. KansasNitro

KansasNitro Well-Known Member NOTM Winner! Military

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
  5. XxLoaded 04xX

XxLoaded 04xX Member

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
  6. Seth79

Seth79 Member Military

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Trim:
    R/T
    Color:
    Stone White
    Download the app pyp garage
    Where I found all my parts....

7. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
  8. XxLoaded 04xX

XxLoaded 04xX Member

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    I am going to end up buying some metal pieces from Home Depot and doing my own build

Scar0 and KansasNitro like this.
  9. KansasNitro

KansasNitro Well-Known Member NOTM Winner! Military

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    Be sure to post pix of the finished product!

Scar0 likes this.
  10. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Is the rust around the mounting studs?
    Since you have an 07, call your dealer and see if RR 08-099 has been done to it. If not, then they might fix the rust spots for free.
    If it has been done, and the rust is now back. They should redo it again for free, IMO.
    Traditional flat stock will not work well to make rails. The Nitro roof is not straight/flat at any given point.
    It will be interesting to see what you come up with.

crankyoldguy and KansasNitro like this.
  11. chris Just

chris Just New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Dodge Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    My roof rails had already started cracking when I bought my nitro last year, and they just got worse. I didn't much like the idea of replacing such a non-crucial part for what it cost plus the high cost of shipping the monstrosities to get them here, so I pulled them off and had another idea when I saw the upbolts. I didn't want to drill into the roof and go through all that for a custom roof rack that I wouldn't use much, if at all so i was looking for a cheaper solution.

I thought I could mount some spacers or something, and then I found these hard rubber bumpers that I thought looked great with the original acorn style nut. But then i thought why not make it practical, and these bumpers seemed to be a great compliment to these over sized V-Rings that I found that were industrial heavy duty looking. I had some trouble finding the right way hold them down onto the stock upbolt. The upbolts aren't long to get all the way through the bumper to get the original nut on there when the ring plate is in place. I wanted it to be functional too, so I wanted the V-Ring to fit. Well, I found these furniture t-nut type long barrel nuts that fit through the ring plate and through the bumper hole that could reach the upbolt from the roof. I screwed that on, and boom, I have a custom bungee hook that actually look like they belong on there, and I can use carabiner bungie straps to hold down a canvas rooftop bag I bought for camping or whatever. I was concerned that I might have to apply a rubber plate to where the ring would hit the roof, but I have them flipped back over the top of the bumper, and I have yet to have one flip over on its own and hit the roof. So it doesn't look necessary. In practice with a bungee stretched tight across, they didn't seem to hit either, but if there is some slack they might. There were 10 posts, and I think it cost me all of $50. I got the roof bag for $34 and voila, I can securely carry the roof cargo bag with spring locked carabiner bungie mounts.

I might still put a washer on the top, but its too hot right now. lol. It seems like the tension of the hard rubber holds the nut tight pretty good. I should probably locktite or anti-seize to do that and protect from moisture, but its Arizona. lol If anyone is interested, I can find the parts I used.

I have pointed it out to people and they said they thought that looked like it belonged there, and a couple of other guy noticed it in parking lots and loved that you could rig stuff on there. It actually looks pretty good with the carabiner bungie cords hooked up on the roof, but with our heat down here, I don't know if I want to leave them stretched on there all the time to get wrecked by the sun. I might get some black rope and rig it up for looks. A few feet of rope is cheap to throw away if it rots; I will still have the bungie cords safely in the storage compartment. lol.

Anyway, I thought I'd share my solution to doing this cheaply. I think the bumpers cost $21 and the rings $19 on ebay. The nuts were $9 on Amazon. The stock upbolts on mine are 6MM by the way. I spent a few bucks trying other nuts to get this far, but this was the simplest most stable way at the end. For vehicle that is only worth what $5K to $6K now, i thought it was a good solution to the cracked rail issue. Too bad the roof isn't completely flat across or I could literally strap down a 4X8 sheet of plywood and rest it on these rubber bumpers, but the roof is concave enough that it wouldn't work. Still, I think this worked out better than I could have hoped for, and it is incredibly simple. But I am open to if anyone has any better ideas on this. Sorry about all the birdsh*t in the one picture; its that time of year to park in the shade, but there are consequences.

IMG_3482.JPG IMG_3651.JPG IMG_3656.JPG IMG_3476.JPG IMG_3654.JPG

cbear, KansasNitro and Scar0 like this.
  12. Metaldog

Metaldog Well-Known Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4 3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    That looks really good, Chris! Very ingenious idea. Looks practical and sturdy enough to hold most anything you put up there. I like it. :)

13. chris Just

chris Just New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Dodge Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    Thanks Metaldog! Given the headaches with the rails, I think it worked out well. I'd go put the bag in place for show, but its too hot to be outside for less than vital activities. lol.

KansasNitro and Metaldog like this.