Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Went downtown today after going to a movie got out of the car for like less than 10 minutes, got back in and went to start it and it just kept starting, you know the sound your car makes when you turn the key, well it did not stop! I had to turn the car off, waited a minuted and restarted it and it did not do it again. I am makeing notes on this to tell the dealer when I bring it back in in about 2 weeks for Transmition issues again. I just got my car back a few days ago and was told nothing was wrong with it but now if you are going through a parking lot slowly and it goes to shift the first time it slips. :confused: :( :mad: I am now haveing second thoughts about this car.:( I like it but I do not want to have these kind of problems anymore. You buy a new car for reliability.:shakehead:

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Keep us informed Nitromama. We want to hear of problems and the way the dealer handles them. Some one else on here may have the same issue and can approach their dealer with a solution even before they(the service dept) know they have a problem!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Starting Problems

I have just sent mine packing on a flatbed back to the dealer. I pulled into work after running a few service calls, and when I went to go out to the next call all I could do was turn the starter over and over. It seems as if there was no fuel, althought the tank was 1/2 full. The starter just kept trying to start the engine, even after taking my hand off the key. I had to actually turn the key to the off position to get it to stop trying to start the engine. I only have had the nitro for 13 days(maybe that is the problem) and there are only 831 miles. I was thinking that it may have something to do with the key, perhaps the transmitter stopped working and it will not turn on the fuel pump. The fuel shutoff is a security thing for theft prevention. I seem to remember every time I go out in the morning to start the car, I hear a buzzing, like from a fuel pump as soon as I put the key into the ignition.

Anyway, I hope it gets sorted out quickly, this makes the 4th car to breakdown since December! 2 Chevys and 1 Ford, now the Dodge!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well it was in the shop for a second time this month, it died on me while driveing it at 25 mph, they checked it out and made a call to the hotline and was told it could be one of 2 things, well I guess the part that they needed was on back order and was told they had no idea how long it would take to get it in and they wanted me to get my car back as soon as possible so they took the part off of a floor room car and put it in mine, the tech drove it home last night to see if it would die on him and he said my car seems to be working fine now, but we shall see....... I am not getting my hope up that it is fixed. I am close to telling them to take it back and getting me out of my lease and into a reliable and safe car but I will give the nitro one more chance.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
got my nitro back. Seems to be ok for now. I guess it was a computer thing that is on national back order. The only problem I have to take up with them tomorrow is the fact that they did not wash it and that the left me with just fumes in my car to drive home on and 100+ miles added to my cars miles!:mad:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Starting issues

After calling the dealer this morning I found that they had been on the phone troubleshooting the issue and had placed an order for a replacement computer. Time frame for the part is likely a day or more; so they finally provided me with a loaner so my wife would not feel like a prisoner while I had her car. I am just glad the starting issue happened while I was at work and only a few miles from the dealership, and not when I was in NYC a couple hundered miles from home last Saturday! I also mentioned the droning sound from the drive train at 45 - 50 mph under light load and acceleration, and the problem with hard shifting from first to second gear occasionally. I forgot the buzzing sound from the front passenger door panels, with or without the stereo playing. Way too much plastic in the interior!

All in all I still have hope for this vehicle. It is a really nice ride, feels safe and solid. Although it is not near as luxurious or powerful as my 6.5 Turbo Diesel 1997 Tahoe that I traded for it, it does have its good points. Fingers remained crossed though!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Starting problem update

The dealer called Friday afternoon and said that parts were ordered but only available in the Washington D.C. area so they will likely not arrive until Tuesday at the earliest. He further said that they had also ordered a replacement fuel pump, since there has been no way to determine if the issue is in fact with the computer telling the fuel pump to pump fuel, or that the pump is bad as well. Meanwhile the due date of my first payment is fast approaching...They have at least extended the time on the loaner that they provided, although beit not without prodding. Keep you posted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I am currently having the same issue. Tuesday night I was driving home ad the ESP/BAS light came on. I didn't think much of it because the car was running fine. Well, when I got home I decided to turn the car off and back on to see if the light would go off. When I went to start the car it got stuck in the ignition phase like the rest of you are talking about. I had it towed to the dealership and they've been testing it all week for any problem. They called me this morning to tell me that they were in touch with the Chrysler engineers and they are sending a new computer module for me as well. He said they aren't even sure if this will get it done, but that mechanically the car is in great shape. I am really annoyed at this. You buy a new car to avoid problems like this happening. I know it's a new model so we're all the guinea pigs, but it sucks.

Hopefully on Monday they will call me and say the problem is fixed. Only thing is my confidence in driving it is shaken. Hopefully not for good because I really like my car.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have just sent mine packing on a flatbed back to the dealer. I pulled into work after running a few service calls, and when I went to go out to the next call all I could do was turn the starter over and over. It seems as if there was no fuel, althought the tank was 1/2 full.
The starter just kept trying to start the engine, even after taking my hand off the key. I had to actually turn the key to the off position to get it to stop trying to start the engine.
I only have had the nitro for 13 days(maybe that is the problem) and there are only 831 miles. I was thinking that it may have something to do with the key, perhaps the transmitter stopped working and it will not turn on the fuel pump. The fuel shutoff is a security thing for theft prevention. I seem to remember every time I go out in the morning to start the car, I hear a buzzing, like from a fuel pump as soon as I put the key into the ignition.

Anyway, I hope it gets sorted out quickly, this makes the 4th car to breakdown since December! 2 Chevys and 1 Ford, now the Dodge!
not to make light of your probs but if you read you owners manual it says you dont have to hold the key to start it.it will automatically start just by turning and releasing the key.

Mike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.