New Owner/1st Oil Change

Discussion in 'Detailing and General Maintenance Forum' started by Craigster, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Craigster

Craigster New Member

Vehicle:
    08 Dodge Nitro SLT
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Inferno Red
    Hello everyone, my name's Craig. I recently purchased an 08' Dodge Nitro SLT. I thought it was a pretty good deal. It had almost 104k miles, 4x4, heated seats, sunroof and other nice options. I paid $8900 for it. The engine sounds smooth, other than a sliggt spark knock. It had a few issues and still does. It was in a minor front end accident. I removed the grille and reclipped the bumper in. I had to flush the engine coolant. There was a red/brown sludge under the radiator cap. I flushed the heater core as well. This also helped on my heat issues. Lol. I just changed my oil and it looked pretty good. That oil filter it a trick though. Lmao. I still have a back passenger door that doesn't unlock on its own. The pastic trim on the drivers seat has a broken tab. Rear windshield wiper arm is broke. The accessory plug plastic insert is broke too. All I'm all, I think it was a reasonable buy.
    Also... I'm having trouble loading pictures. My file sizes are too large. I will post more pictures when I figure this problem out.

Attached Files:

Scar0 likes this.
  2. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Oh ya, that oil filter can be a pain. I found laying on my back with my feet toward the rear(under the rig) and reaching up over head, is the easiest way to get to it.
    Being lifted helps too. :rolleyes:

Craigster likes this.
  3. Testeclops

Testeclops Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Nitro SLT 3.7
    Color:
    Black
    Welcome to the group! Yeah, those are minor things that can easily be fixed by raiding a few junkyards and such. I need to replace my driver's seat trim as well, seems to be a common part that breaks. The 12v cover can be easily fixed by swapping out the entire plug assembly, or by getting some kind of plug from wally world, etc. Attenna plugs (used on old cop cars) can also be used, you'll just have to find the right size. The spark knock will probably be fixed by changing your plugs, I have the same thing and just need to put in new plugs. They should be changed every 30k, and make sure to use the cheap NGK copper plugs, don't get the platinum ones.

Scar0 likes this.
  4. Craigster

Craigster New Member

Vehicle:
    08 Dodge Nitro SLT
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Inferno Red
    I changed the plugs. The electrode was pretty worn down. I figured they were replaced already, since it had 104k on it.... but nope, all were original.

5. Scar0

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    The 3.7 requires plugs to be changed every 30,000 miles(50,000 km).
    Do not use platinum plugs in the 3.7! They will cause nothing but problems.
    Use the cheap NGK ZFR6F-11G plugs. They are what the 3.7 was designed to run.
    At 30K mine were getting pretty bad looking.

6. Craigster

Craigster New Member

Vehicle:
    08 Dodge Nitro SLT
    Trim:
    SLT
    Color:
    Inferno Red
    That's exactly what I did... they were around $20! I thought it would help my gas milage, but it's still the same at 17mpg.

7. Scar0

Vehicle:
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic
    Ya, the Nitro is not the best on mileage.
    A free flowing exhaust and intake helped, and the 4.7 throttle body helped me even more.
    I have 3 things going against me.
    Roof rack with lights, oversize mud tires, and a winch on the front bumper.
    Even with all that, I still manage to get 17+- Mpg going up to my Mom's place in the mountains. Start at ~280', down to 28', up to 930', down to 380' and back.