Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had this crazy thought!
Has anyone seen the shots of under the hood of an '08 Jeep Liberty (I couldn't find any)?
What I was thinking is because the truck will basically be a Jeep Nitro from what I can tell . . . if it comes with hood shocks, then we should be able to retrofit our Nitros pretty easily.

Not to mention a whole lot of other goodies I see:
- rain sensing wipers
- rear backup assist
:Banana01:

· Registered
788 Posts
Your assuming the studs under the hood are a bolt on & not welded to the hood somehow. Then you could purchase the studs & shocks & install it virtually the same way as we've outlined in this forum. But if their welded or a more permanent fixture on the hood, you'd have to replace the hood to make it work.

· Registered
788 Posts
Too funny..... guess the Jeep/Chrysler designers aren't watching this forum for what people want.
How bizarre that they put the lower stud in but didn't finish the job.
Oh well, it's a pretty easy mod. And some of the guys in this forum are making brackets to make it even easier!

· Registered
1,322 Posts
Actually, I have seen production line shots of the Nitro with the hood up. While in production, workers use shocks to hold the hood up and out of the way while on the production line. They remove them when done.

This picture was not good enough resolution to zoom in to see the upper mounting on the hood, but I suspect it is some kind of temporary mounting. But this IS why the lower mounting is on the inner fender. They are used only on the production line. Screwball eh? I can't remember if I saw that at the allpar website or where exactly.

Found it! As you can see, production line workers have no other way to support the hood without the shocks as the entire front is still missing! Who knows why they just didn't mount them and leave them in place.

· Registered
331 Posts
I was excited when I heard that the Liberty was going to get a make over then even more interested when I heard it was sharing alot of things from the Nitro. After seeing pictures of it though I think it looks ugly. Too me, I think the first run of Libertys were the best and the outside styles of them have been getting worse as time goes on.

· Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
So they obviously have some way of attaching the shock to the hood, but what? and as you rightly say, why the heck would they take them off...cost cutting I would presume.
Maybe if a Chrysler designer reads this forum we'll see them installed on a future model.

· Registered
331 Posts
Maybe if a Chrysler designer reads this forum we'll see them installed on a future model.
No, if designers would always have their ways we'd have some of the neatest and nicest cars on the planet but since they have to answer to the accountants, we lose out.

....So designer you say that by leaving the gas charged shocks on these cars we have an additional cost of $.04 than taking them off and installing a prop rod. You say also that everyone wants the shocks but we can't recoupe the costs of them? Lets use the prop rod.:Na_Na_Na_Na:

· Registered
4,968 Posts
Yeh, the brackets are almost all gone. Only 1 set left I think. I've got to get some steel and then start making more...
If I meet up with you in Windsor on the long weekend coming up, can I buy that set of brackets you have left? How much you want for them?
:Racing:

· Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just to be clear, my post was not to take anything away from AirJunky's solution.
I may never have thought about doing what he did and in fact I like'd the idea so much I bought some brackets from Canadianlimey and decided to follow AirJunky's lead.
I just figured if we could borrow from the corporate parts bin that our quest might be made easier.
As an example, my Magnum did not have auto headlights but I cros-referenced the correct switch from a 300C and presto, I now have auto headlights.

Doesn't show a prop shock in the parts viewer for the 2008 LIberty. Sorry. :( AirJunky still has the best hood prop mod!!!:)

· Registered
788 Posts
No sweat, niftie. It seems even more lame to me now that HV has shown us the pic of the Nitro in production. I'm sure those shocks are only a few bucks to Chrysler, yet they cut them out of the picture to save a few bucks.

· Registered
2,138 Posts
Just to be clear, my post was not to take anything away from AirJunky's solution.
I may never have thought about doing what he did and in fact I like'd the idea so much I bought some brackets from Canadianlimey and decided to follow AirJunky's lead.
I just figured if we could borrow from the corporate parts bin that our quest might be made easier.
As an example, my Magnum did not have auto headlights but I cros-referenced the correct switch from a 300C and presto, I now have auto headlights.
Never thought that for a second. Cross referencing parts between the Liberty and Nitro is a great idea. I looked to see if the Liberty had the A-pillar grab handle. No luck there. They put it on the dash.

Borrowing parts from another vehicle is a great idea!!:cool:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.