Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there!

I currently have a 2007 Compass that I am not happy with at all. :mad:

I have an appointment with the dealer and he is suggesting a new Nitro. I love the look of it and am very interested in knowing if people are happy with theirs. Reading the posts has really helped. Lots of good information and happy customers.

My basic question is about the gas consumption. The sticker says 21 city and 30 hiway. Is that about what everyone is getting or is it closer to 18 or 20 all around that I have been seeing.

I traded a Chevy Silverado in on the Compass because I was only getting about 15 or 16 mpg in it. I'm hoping that the Nitro is alot better than that. I hate the thought of payments and not a great improvement in mileage!

Thanks for any comments that you have.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Welcome to the site , I think 15 to 17 is gonna be city best &, on the highway 24 max.. gas mileage is not the Nitros strong point. but that is pretty good for the vehicle you are getting. I know I'd do it again.:pepper:

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
Welcome Kbekker: The 21 city 30 hwy sounds more like the Compass gas mileage. You didn’t exactly quantify your unhappiness with the Compass so we can only guess it has something to do with the size or the engine power. Either way, it is the size and engine power increase in the Nitro that will result in lower mileage numbers. With current technology, it’s a trade off in size and horse power for mileage. If you were getting 15/16 mpg in a Silverado, then I assume that you were at least doing some rural driving, otherwise your mileage would have been even lower. You should get an overall average of at least 17 mpg from the Nitro, provided you don’t spend all the time driving in the city.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have the 4.0L R/T and in my limited time (I have about 500 miles on it) driving I am getting about 17-18 MPG driving mostly in the city. My last SUV was an Expedition so 17 MPG is much better than the 13-14 MPG I was getting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many thanks!

Thanks so much for all of the responses. I'll try to answer as many of the items brought up as possible.

Yes, in the Silverado it was mostly rural driving. I was living in SE Manitoba and the truck was great. Used for pulling the boat, small equipment, etc. Recently divorced and moved to the more suburban areas where the truck was not needed or welcomed in some downtown parking lots and garages!

I'm unhappy with the Compass for a variety of reasons. First of all, in this really cold weather, I have ice on the inside of the windshield; I can't get the tire pressure sensor to stop blinking and beeping at me, despite putting air in the tires 3 times (which I feel I shouldn't have to do in a brand-new vehicle); the CVT transmission seems really sluggish in cold weather; lots of engine noise on acceleration; I don't feel real safe in it...probably as a result of changing from an extended cab truck to a small SUV;...my salesman was less than forthcoming with some of the features of the vehicle. I also didn't realize that on certain settings on the heater that the compressor is actually engaged even when you have it on heat....is the Nitro the same? So overall, not satisfied, but I'm happy to say that the dealership is working with me to make me happy. At least they aren't using the 'you're a woman' angle on me! LOL

I don't understand why the sticker on the vehicles are allowed to have fuel consumption figures that are so far off the actual mpg that the vehicle is getting. Another great mystery of life?!? :confused:

Again, thanks for all of the responses. I haven't yet driven the Nitro, but am looking forward to the test drive and I plan on putting it through the paces! When I test-drove the Compass they had to wash it when I was done! :D It does handle really well in mud and gravel. And I thought I had done my homework by checking out test-drive reports, etc. But I guess I'll chalk it up to an experience and be more thorough with the Nitro.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
Right on, actually any reason is a good reason to move up to the Nitro. One thing I'm thinking you will never see ice inside the windshield of your Nitro, pretty quiet inside & no CVT. MPG well you can't have everything but it is decent.:Racing:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The mileage is what attracted me to the Compass, and the Jeep name of course, and I know that I bought a lower end vehicle. The interior is not top of the line by any means, but then I don't have a bunch of kids (or even grandkids) to worry about. I'm pretty easy on my vehicles, so thought that I could give up a little luxury for the economy, but it seems to be too much of a sacrifice with all the other problems.

I'm having a pretty tough time getting used to the front wheel drive on it too. The 'pull' of the front wheels just doesn't feel right compared to the 'push' of the back wheels ... is about the only way to describe it. Oh yeah, and another gripe, there's no place inside the vehicle to lock up anything.
(enough griping.)

Any thoughts on gas mileage improving with engine 'break-in'? I would think it would improve to some degree.

Thanks again for all your comments. You all have been a great help.

Hello to Alaska!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Nitro club for Virginia/NC

I would love to start a Nitro club in Virginia if there are people interested. Maybe get together once a month or something and compare Nitro's. If anyone is interested please let me know.:pepper:

G

·
Hi,

Dealerships in Canada project the mileage to be 21 city and 30 highway.

These numbers are high because it's based on a UK gallon, not a US gallon. A UK gallon is bigger -> more miles per gallon.

If you divide the numbers above by 1.2 you will get the numbers in miles/US gallon.

City - 17.5
Highway - 25

For the Canadians, when you see people discussing mileage, multiply by 1.2 to get the numbers to what we would normally see.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Finally bought the Nitro!

Returned to dealership where I bought the Compass and after much frustration, I traded the Compass in on a new Nitro! :pepper: I pick it up on Monday and then will not ever return to them again. I could bore you all with probably 5 pages of details of the horrific service I got from them, but I wouldn't subject my worst enemy to that! LOL

I'm fairly happy with the deal on the Nitro...not completely fair as far as I'm concerned, but I didn't get completely ripped off either. I couldn't get used to the front wheel drive on the Compass, so I'm really happy with the Nitro in that respect. I guess I will have to get used to the gas mileage! ;)

Will keep you posted on how things go when I pick it up Monday.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.