Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
At X-mass last year my mom was nice enough to get me a winch. The problem was I had no way to mount it.
So, I spent many hours talking with ATH about his Libby front bumper and then possibly getting just a center section from him.
Well things being as they are, I was not able to go that route.
But ATH was most helpful with sharing his thoughts and advice with me! Can't thank him enough.
Any way... I ended up designing my own version of a back bone like system to mount my winch on. The basic plate is only two pieces of steel cut and bent to my specs by a local company. After a couple of revisions, and a couple mess ups by the Co I was having make the plate, I finally got what I wanted.
I then added some support under the plate and skinned the front.
Here are my new toys!

I have tons of Pics if anyone wants to see more details.

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Basic plate design. Only two pieces of steel here, the back plate against the cross member is welded on.

I had to relocate the P/S hoses to accommodate the side plates.
I had to add the screw (up and left of the hole) to secure the air deflector since I cut off the push rivet that went where the new hole is. The screw fit perfectly between an inner rib and the outer rib/side that runs next to the Rad. I also trimmed the center rib (you can see) downward in the back after the Pic was taken. Wanted to be sure it would not rub.

Hoses running rear to front (right to left) through the hole. With the OEM rub guards moved together. The hoses only touch the hole, everything else is clear.

Lines cut, removed 1.5" because with the new route they were to long, and reconnected. Lost only a little bit of fluid with the lines clamped off. Just what you see on the cardboard and a few drops on the fins.

No leaks!

I first tried some spray on bed liner, I didn't like how it held up when I did some test fitting, so I went this rout instead.
All covered up with Dyna-Pro under coating. It's a rubberized high impact coating. I used this on my trailer and it is durable.

Almost the final skin fitting. You can see where the bed liner scraped off the corners in this Pic.

A couple Pics of the skin cut out. I was able to keep the lower grill I made in place.

Detail of the winch foot cutouts. The winch feet keep the bumper skin from flapping in the wind.

The plate is mounted with 9 bolts. 3 on each side into the frame and 3 across the front.

Edit: I just realized I did not post a side view.

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
Awsome work as usual ScarO, very neat finnished, you won't be bending or breaking that plate.
:rep: when i can.

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
247 Posts
It looks like your Nitro is ready for SEMA. Nice work!

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nice set up Mark!:smileup:
Thank you.
Very nicely done! What do you figure the weight capacity is (what is the wench rated)? :smileup:
Points when I can.
Cy
It should be able to handle anything I throw at it. It is made from 1/4" steel (except for the front 3 pieces of skin) like most other after market bumpers are. It is also cross braced underneath, "boxed in". My wench I would rate as a 10, but my winch is 12,000 Lb. :Na_Na_Na_Na:

Awsome work as usual ScarO, very neat finnished, you won't be bending or breaking that plate.
:rep: when i can.
Thank you. I'm pleased with how the fit/finish turned out. I worked slowly and only took small bits of the bumper skin off at a time. When it was close it was a lot of hand filing work.

It looks like your Nitro is ready for SEMA. Nice work!
Thanks, but if you saw it up close... It is a working rig and has many small dents, scratches, and the interior is god awful!

BTW The hood still is able to open froward. The catch hits the control box just a little. So as long as I don't let it drop forward it should be OK. I may add a slightly longer stop so it won't hit at all. Still deciding on that one.

Oh, I will also mention the county mounties don't like it if you drive around without the bumper skin on. I was pulled over for the first time in more years then I can count for that. Luckily I just got a warning...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Have you ever considered relocating the winch solenoid under the hood?

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Nice work. Looks great..
Very professional looking job, looks good. Nice one. :smileup::smileup:
Very cool. Nice work getting that to fit!
Thank you all!

Have you ever considered relocating the winch solenoid under the hood?
I thought about relocating it but, the power cables are too short and are hard wired to the control unit. You also have to plug the trigger cable into the side of it.

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did a little high-lift flying. The plate did not move. I think I am good to go. :smileup:

Both front tires are off the ground.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am really excited about this! This came out looking incredible! I would buy one of theses. My mind is running wild with ideas of turning this into a front 2" receiver point to use for a cargo carrier, as well as possibly mounting a winch. Do you have any pictures of where this bolts onto the frame. Did you need to reinforce the frame of the nitro at all?

·
Registered
16,212 Posts
Precision fitting I see. Very well done as usual, Mark.

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dang spellnig! ;) Great addition though.
Cy
I got a kick out of it, and so did my wife!
Thanks again.
I am really excited about this! This came out looking incredible! I would buy one of theses. My mind is running wild with ideas of turning this into a front 2" receiver point to use for a cargo carrier, as well as possibly mounting a winch. Do you have any pictures of where this bolts onto the frame. Did you need to reinforce the frame of the nitro at all?
Thank you.
One Pic I don't have. I will see about getting one tomorrow for you.
On the frame I used the 2 tow hook holes and added a third hole 2" farther back. Inside the frame tube I used a 1/4" steel plate as reinforcement. On the cross member I used 3 bolts, one centered and 2 about 7" in from the edges(OEM holes). Again with 1/4" backer plates as reinforcement. Blue ram added a front receiver hitch to his Nitro.
Precision fitting I see. Very well done as usual, Mark.
Thank you kind sir.
Very nice well done Scar0
Thanks. It turned out better then I thought it would.

·
Premium Member
30,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I am really excited about this! Do you have any pictures of where this bolts onto the frame. Did you need to reinforce the frame of the nitro at all?
On the frame I used the 2 tow hook holes and added a third hole 2" farther back. Looking forward from the rear(top of Pic). Side part of plate is next to the radiator. Bumper skin is at the bottom of the Pic.

Another shot a little bit further back. Radiator on left side of Pic.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.