Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, just wanted to say hello and I'm glad to be part of the thread. Little bit about myself I guess: I owned an 02 Stratus R/T, loved it but not quite enough power to it, traded in for an 04 Ram 1500 HemiSport, AWESOME vehicle, lots of power...unfortunately had some jackass in a hyundai cut me off, lost control and crashed. Found a month later that the frame was twisted all to hell and suddenly was thrown in the market for a new vehicle. I saw the Nitros around a bit and loved the boxy look and knew that was my next ride. Unfortunately couldn't splerge for the R/T model, so I got the SXT with a bunch of dealer add on's so it's comperable to the SLT model. It rides great, gets plenty of looks and MUCH better gas mileage then the hemi did, so that's a great plus with gas prices these days.

I was hoping someone could help me out with a question I have...
I haven't seen the instrument cluster for the R/T, so I'm not sure if I am even correct in asking this. My temp and directional digital gauge are located on the left side of the instrument cluster below the gas gauge. If you look at the digital gauge at a certain angle you can see a bunch of icons and other words and what not that potentially light up. I was wondering if the R/T model had a full display here rather then just the temp and direction? NEXT, is it possible for me to upgrade my display to show what an R/T displays. My buddy told me it's probably just a module, ic chip, or harness that activates the other features, as most vehicles are built with the wiring for the fully loaded models..ex. most vehicles capable of power seats that don't have the option still have the wiring harness under the seat. SO to summarize, can I change a module, ic chip, or harness that will allow me to view all of the features of that gauge without causing problems to the rest of the system?

Thanks for help in advance and I look forward to the responses.

Mike

· Banned
10,113 Posts
Hello and welcome!:wavey:
Glad you joined and enjoy your Nitro! Don't know the answer to your question as I have an SLT but someone will be along shortly who can help you out! We have plenty of knowledgeable people around here!! Enjoy the board!!

· Join!Resistance is futile
15,666 Posts
Welcome Mike! great to have you with us! I have a SXT also but there are many R/T owners here, Lime had a good answer also, I would guess if its possible it would be expensive. Post some pictures and join in the discussions , any other mods in mind? Enjoy the forum and that ride! :Racing:

· Registered
2,243 Posts
Hey Mike .. Really want a correct answer ? Then Ya Gotta take me to Pat's for a cheese steak hoagie.:chuckle: Welcome aboard Mike ..Now to answer your question...Limey is correct ,you need the completed EVIC system.It's more than just a chip change.Good luck with that SXT.

Roadie
( born @ Temple hospital Mike ) :D

· Registered
889 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

· Registered
2,606 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I would not waste your time trying to get the full EVIC display up and running on your SXT. The only thing your really get is an MPG read out, tire pressure (the SXT has a warning light) and some other useless information. It does not display oil pressure, volts, trans temp or the other things that are more important.

Use that time and money to put in a good set of guages instead.

Ken

· Registered
2,243 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I would not waste your time trying to get the full EVIC display up and running on your SXT. The only thing your really get is an MPG read out, tire pressure (the SXT has a warning light) and some other useless information. It does not display oil pressure, volts, trans temp or the other things that are more important.

Use that time and money to put in a good set of guages instead.

Ken
Mike there's a lot of good advice in what Ken states but again there's no one size fits all in vehicles or their function. I go along totally regarding primo guages vs idiot lights and such. But the EVIC can be very useful to many non mechanicaly inclined type drivers .Info like tire pressure,distance to empty,mpg,even direction traveled or managing light on upon approaching your vehicle and many of the other functions can be more than just handy.They can be safety features. Not everyone can compute their distance to empty while driving or check the existing tire pressure either at home or on the road. When I bought my Nitro I had a choice and I chose to equip my vehicle with EVIC and a lot of other devices like backup warning system. With this said ,I think Ken's right "It ain't worth the cost" in your situation.
Roadie :Racing:

· Registered
2,606 Posts
Mike there's a lot of good advice in what Ken states but again there's no one size fits all in vehicles or their function. I go along totally regarding primo guages vs idiot lights and such. But the EVIC can be very useful to many non mechanicaly inclined type drivers .Info like tire pressure,distance to empty,mpg,even direction traveled or managing light on upon approaching your vehicle and many of the other functions can be more than just handy.They can be safety features. Not everyone can compute their distance to empty while driving or check the existing tire pressure either at home or on the road. When I bought my Nitro I had a choice and I chose to equip my vehicle with EVIC and a lot of other devices like backup warning system. With this said ,I think Ken's right "It ain't worth the cost" in your situation.
Roadie :Racing:
In my humble opinion, the only "safety feature" the EVIC adds is the tire pressure readout. The SXT does show direction traveled, though I would not call this a safety feature either.

It just frustrates me that Dodge took the time to engineer this option but did not bother to include the important stuff like oil pressure, oil level or coolant level on the EVIC.

· Registered
2,243 Posts
In my humble opinion, the only "safety feature" the EVIC adds is the tire pressure readout. The SXT does show direction traveled, though I would not call this a safety feature either.

It just frustrates me that Dodge took the time to engineer this option but did not bother to include the important stuff like oil pressure, oil level or coolant level on the EVIC.
Not owning the SXT I'm not really certain as to what controls are available .But my thoughts regarding safety is the ability to adjust the door locking options available along with the setting of interior lights .The advanced time/before entry and delayed head lamp time .Not all these options were available on any of my former cars including my 05 Infiniti .

Roadie :D

· Registered
841 Posts
Hey Mike .. Really want a correct answer ? Then Ya Gotta take me to Pat's for a cheese steak hoagie.:chuckle: Welcome aboard Mike ..Now to answer your question...Limey is correct ,you need the completed EVIC system.It's more than just a chip change.Good luck with that SXT.

Roadie
( born @ Temple hospital Mike ) :D
Florida Roadie. I had many a Pat's cheesesteak back in the day. Mostly after late night drinking binges back in college. The cheesesteaks aren't the best, but you can't beat the atmosphere at 2 in the morning. You never know what you'll see down there and boy did I see plenty.

· Registered
2,243 Posts
Florida Roadie. I had many a Pat's cheesesteak back in the day. Mostly after late night drinking binges back in college. The cheesesteaks aren't the best, but you can't beat the atmosphere at 2 in the morning. You never know what you'll see down there and boy did I see plenty.
JerseyNitro..Yeah Bud you got that right .9th street and the entire "Little Italy " area is in their own little world. Working my way through college I drove a truck in the center city area from spring garden street south to Penrose ave. The sights I saw YIKES !! But time has changed the entire south Philly area. I'm up that way every June and take time to visit the area just for the flavor.

Roadie :chuckle:

· Registered
7,632 Posts
sadly Mike, I was also thrown into the new car thing by some jackass!!

glad to have you and congrats on the purchase!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for everyones help and welcoming me. Sorry it took so long to get back, my computers been down for a few days. I'm probably not going to get the EVIC system then, I was hoping it was something fairly easy and cheap to get, but it doesn't seem worth it for what little info it gives. Thanks again everyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.