Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, thanks for letting me join your Nitro Forumz
Anybody know why my brand new Starter Motor is screeching on cold start up, please? I have a 2008, 2.8 nitro, the ring gear looks good, it fires up straight away, but just makes a loud pop and a screech noise as soon as I turn the key 馃.
Thanks very much.

Registered
hi there and welcome,
is it making noises before the engine is running, whilst the engine is been crancked, or whilst the engine is running ?,

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi there and welcome,
is it making noises before the engine is running, whilst the engine is been crancked, or whilst the engine is running ?,
hi there and welcome,
[/QUOTE Hi
hi there and welcome,
Hi, thanks for your kind Welcome.

The brand new Starter motor only made the unbearable screeching sound when first turning the engine over, but stops as soon as the engine fires.
I've exchanged the Starter motor today for another new one, just incase that one was faulty (Same brand). Unfortunately the second starter motor is doing the same thing 馃檮. So back to the drawing board!
When looking for a different brand, it comes up with two different OE/OEM reference numbers: 04801268AB which is the same as on my original Starter motor, but also now there is reference LRS02618?
It keeps asking me if I have a 2 or 4 wheel drive, is there a difference as far as part numbers go? I have the 2008 2.8 4 wheel drive. Only had
my Dodge a year, so still learning.
Many thanks for any help 馃檪.

Registered
pretty sure there is no difference between 2wd and 4wd starter motors, whats the story with the original starter, why did you have to change it ?,
04801268AB is the correct part number for the 2.8crd starter motor, double check your aftermarket part n掳 ,

Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro Heat 3.7L
if it鈥檚 a 鈥渘ew鈥 remanufactured starter, it could be faulty/defective

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pretty sure there is no difference between 2wd and 4wd starter motors, whats the story with the original starter, why did you have to change it ?,
04801268AB is the correct part number for the 2.8crd starter motor, double check your aftermarket part n掳 ,
I didn't think there would be a difference, but I keep being asked by Parts suppliers if it's a 4 or 2 wheel drive, very odd, so I thought I'd ask here just incase.
Had to change original Starter motor due to the fact it had suddenly stopped turning and started to smoke, when we tried to start it.
Thanks very much for confirming the correct parts number, that's all really good to now I've got the right one to at least.
Thank you for your help.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
if it鈥檚 a 鈥渘ew鈥 remanufactured starter, it could be faulty/defective
Hi. That sounds exactly what my local mechanic told me today, he said he has also had to return "new" faulty Starter Motors before now, which sadly sounds like I'm going to have to do too.
Just need to find a good make that works now.

I work so I can... SQUIRREL!

Good to have you here. Enjoy the forum!
BTW... Post a pic of your Nitro when you can.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Good to have you here. Enjoy the forum!
BTW... Post a pic of your Nitro when you can.

Thank you for your kind welcome.
Here's my Pride and Joy 馃槉.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update....Replacement Starter Motor...
1st brand new Starter Motor.. Ordered from Jeep-Chrysler, correct part number.. but they sent the wrong motor 馃檮.... Returned.
2nd brand new Starter Motor from different Supplier... Faulty...Returned.
Replacement 3rd brand new Starter Motor.. also Faulty 馃う.. Returned.
Getting worried now.. Luckily Supplier found and Ordered a brand new Bosch Starter Motor this time, yey,
馃帀 this one actually works, phew!!!
My boy is now back on the road.
thank you to those who responded to my call for help.
New Tyres next 馃檪.

Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
Hello and welcome @Gill, to the Nitro 鈥淶鈥 family!

Glad you got it sorted out!
I'm looking forward to your future posts & Pics. We love Pics here!
We also like new Mod ideas.

Enjoy the forumZ.
Scar

BTW;
If you could please go to your signature (<click this) and put the info about your rig on the first line. It will be easier for us to answer your questions down the road, without us having to ask a bunch of questions.

As you can see under every post I make;
This is what I drive:

Reactions: Gill

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello and welcome @Gill, to the Nitro 鈥淶鈥 family!

Glad you got it sorted out!
I'm looking forward to your future posts & Pics. We love Pics here!
We also like new Mod ideas.

Enjoy the forumZ.
Scar

BTW;
If you could please go to your signature (<click this) and put the info about your rig on the first line. It will be easier for us to answer your questions down the road, without us having to ask a bunch of questions.

As you can see under every post I make;
This is what I drive:
Hello
Hello Scar.
Thank you for your warm Welcome.
Thank you also for your guidance regarding the 'your Signiture' section, I've now filled that in, thanks.​
I've only had my Nitro for 14months, so I'm still learning about him, as we go along.​
I'm greatful for being a member of this Forum z, may need all the help I can get 鈽.​
I have a 08, Sxt, Stock model, 6sp, 4x4, 2.8L diesel, he's in good order other than a faulty fuel gauge 馃, a job for another day I think 鈽.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts