Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently (Dec. 20, 2006) received my Nitro. It is a company car. Prior to this I had been driving a Caravan ever since they were first introduced (17 years?). Alas, my company decided to save some money so downsized our vehicles. I'll admit it is a sharp looking vehicle, but has a lot of short-comings when compared with a Grand Caravan (too numerous to get into here). Anyway, I just cannot seem to get comfortable. Some of the older Caravans (i.e. 1990) had ergonomically designed backrests, but the later models were not designed very well and I ended up buying an Obusforme backrest about 6 years ago and it has worked well for me. However, since getting the Nitro I have had chronic lower back pain. I have tried driving with and without the Obusforme and tried many different positions (I have the electric adjustable seat) but cannot get comfortable. Anyone having similar problems? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
790 Posts
I had a slipped disc in L5 & have problems in some car seats. My favorites have to be the buckets in my old Toyota 4'Runner with the adjustable lower supports. So far these Nitro seats are not too bad on my back. The heat really does it some good!

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Sorry to hear about your back pain. I know what that is like. Rup disc in 84. But great now. Anyway I guess you have tried all positions with the seat. l know that there is not a desiginated lumbar support but try laying the back a little more back and see if that helps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree, I think the seats are awful. I don't have back problems but my back starts to hurt after driving for only about an hour. By contrast I once drove my Benz for eight hours straight and was just fine. Even my Ram has better seats -- it takes three or four hours before I begin to feel discomfort.

Oh well. I didn't buy it for long trips.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Sorry to see the Nitro go but the seats suck!

You mean short of replacing the factory seat with a Recaro? I wonder if your company might help you out with a replacement seat?

My company helped me out by replacing the Nitro with a Caravan! After a couple more months of back pain I couldn't take it any more so my manager got me to switch with another company rep who still had a Caravan. I am now driving that and have just ordered a 2008 Caravan. This will be my last posting as I am leaving the forum, so don't bother replying to me. But perhaps this thread might be kept open for others to discuss the poorly designed seats?

By the way, our company is now giving us the choice of a Nitro or a Caravan, realizing they madfe a mistake forcing them on us. Too bad, it is a really sharp car and my wife is still mad at me for giving it up (4 months ago now). After a couple of montsh of physiotherapy my back is much better.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Well...

Now that it has been mentioned...I am retired early because of my back...4 surgeries one in '98-two in '00 and complete fusion in '02 with rods and screws. The Nitro seats were not comfortable in the extreme for me either. However using the manual back adjustment has helped, not just the electrical adjustments. lean your backrest back and relax a little.
I am 6'2 and the upper bolster hits right at the bottom of my shoulder blades. I am considering a change to a Recaro bucket if we end up doing any distance travelling.
Good luck and I hope this suggestion helps relieve some of your discomfort!:Racing:
"T"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.