Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed since my tire pressure gadget needed to replace because the corrosion - 3 times - I had to use the cigaret lighter to put in air in my tires. Each time after 30 second or so the fuse blow. Now it is that point is that even I can't replace the fuse because it is blow right away with a big spark.
The emergency brake never worked, the roof rack even after replacement by the dealer came off.
This is my first dodge car but may be it will be the last, since I just can't keep up anymore.
Any one has any suggestion how to pin point the cigaret lighter problem? The dealer told me $150 just to start to look after it, and after $100 per hour. They want to drop in my car for a full day.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
Hi can you tell me if it's fuse M7 that keeps blowing.
also just to make sure your tire inflator is not the problem,you could try the power socket in the trunk

·
Registered
373 Posts
Hi can you tell me if it's fuse M7 that keeps blowing.
also just to make sure your tire inflator is not the problem,you could try the power socket in the trunk
Did even realize they had one back there on the 2007s. Wish they had kept it.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
if you look on the lid of the fuse box there will be a diagram of all the fuses, they all start with J or M, there is no " fuse 20 " the 20 you are reading is the ampage of the fuse.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
does the cigar lighter work in the socket without blowing the fuse.
If the M7 blowing I have no power in the front cigaret lighter. I'm doing the replacement over two years if not longer now.
Only thing is, it is blow right away as I replaced the fuse 20.
Only the back cigaret lighter is work in the trunk area, and the 120 outlet.
I'm just afraid to use those, now.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
you can use the rear power outlet and the 110vac inverter sockets, they a control on seperate circuits and have there own fuses.
Fuse M5: 110vac power inverter
Fuse M6: rear 12vdc power socket
Fuse M7: front cigar lighter/power socket

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
you can use the rear power outlet and the 110vac inverter sockets, they a control on seperate circuits and have there own fuses.
Fuse M5: 110vac power inverter
Fuse M6: rear 12vdc power socket
Fuse M7: front cigar lighter/power socket
So, I can't fix the front cigaret/ power socket? It is not the same power as the rear power socket?
How to fix the cigaret lighter/ power socket?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I want to check the cigaret lighter wire, how to do that? Sorry but I'm just trying to see if it is loose, or how to remove the cigaret lighter?
I will need a very detailed direction.
Thanks.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
the fuse M7 can be placed in two different positions ( diagram on fuse box lid ) one position supplys power to the power socket once the ignition key is turned on, the other position supplys power constantly ( so you could leave items powered up when not in the vehicle ). if you check this i can tell you where to look next, which i am thinking the problem maybe conected to the ignition switch, however it the fuse blows in both positions then it maybe the socket itself.

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
thinking about what you have said, the fact that the fuse blowing, slowly got more frequent and now blows as soon as you try a new fuse.

Don't replace the fuse any more untill you have found the fault, because you may case more damage within the wiring harness.

before you remove the power socket, with a multimeter, set on the continuity setting, you could try testing between the positive and negative connectors Inside the power socket if the meter bleeps then you have a short between the 2 connectors, which would normaly indicated that the power socket has been overloaded and the positive and negative wires may have melted together, if you are Lucky the fault could be near the power socket, if not it could be anywhere within the wiring harness, from the power socket back to the TIPM (fuse box).

i hope this makes sense and is of some help.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The fuse blowing with out any key insert, or turned acc.

When I check the continuity setting, first I need to disconnect the battery? - I just don't want to damage my multimeter. ('+' and '-' ?? - do you mean where I insert the fuse, the two slot?

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
you won't damage your multimeter even with the battery connected, you need to test the actual cigar lighter, looking Inside where you plug in, you will see a terminal in the middle this is the positive 12vdc, and a terminal on the side this is the negative ground, test between these two points on the seting which makes a beeping sound when the two test probes are touched together if the multimeter beeps, then there is a short circuit beetween the positive and the negative.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Is the lighter plugged into the socket when it blows? Does it blow with it out of the socket?
If it blows with nothing plugged into it, it sounds like you have a short.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts