Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm having a bit of an issue and thought I had fixed it. So last week I started my 08 nitro r/t 4x4 4.0l and let it warm up, when I started driving it it was blowing cold air out of the heater, the temp started going above operating temp and it would blow warm. Then it over heated . I pulled over let it cool down for 30 minutes and slowly limped it home ( I live in the mountains in northeast washington). I had to pull over a couple times to cool down. Check the fluids full the first time let it sit cooled down and the reservoir was empty. Okay odd you were just full. Filled it up ran it started over heating again. Reservoir full. Hmmm.. cooled out down again it was empty. I see absolutely no leaks I lifted the hood fluid is coming from the radiator cap. Okay get a ride to town buy new cap. Poof no over heating no issue heat is working great.
Yesterday I'm in the drive through for lunch and it slowly starts to go up in temp again, but doesnt over heat but I can smell antifreeze. Checked fluids level everything is great. This morning warming up take a little longer to warm up heater is blowing ice cold until I start to drive? I'm at operating temp, I stop and it drops a little so now them drops a couple lines from the middle ? Is this the thermostat orwater pump. . No I havent changed either yet I have 158,321 miles on her. I need help though because this overheating and now not staying at operating temp but dropping as it does is got me going crazy. I dont understand why if my levels are full it wont blow hot air until I start driving?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,638 Posts
I see you have a 4.0. Was the timing belt and water pump changed at 100K miles along with the spark plugs?
If not, then it needs to be done ASAP! The timing belt is only good for 100K after that it can go at any time.
If it goes, you will likely be looking at a new engine, or at the very least a complete rebuild.
The water pump is under the timing belt cover, so it should be replaced at the same time. (save labor costs)
In the 4.0, because the water pump is under the timing belt cover, it can be hard to see if it is leaking.

As for the fill coolant, warm up, cool down and have to fill again. This is the normal "burping" air out of the system. Usually 3 times will get the air out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see you have a 4.0. Was the timing belt and water pump changed at 100K miles along with the spark plugs?
If not, then it needs to be done ASAP! The timing belt is only good for 100K after that it can go at any time.
If it goes, you will likely be looking at a new engine, or at the very least a complete rebuild.
The water pump is under the timing belt cover, so it should be replaced at the same time. (save labor costs)
In the 4.0, because the water pump is under the timing belt cover, it can be hard to see if it is leaking.

As for the fill coolant, warm up, cool down and have to fill again. This is the normal "burping" air out of the system. Usually 3 times will get the air out.
Updated both head gaskets were warped got the heads redone , timing belt waterpump and thermo all replaced new Pulleys . Got her back lastnight and drives like a top! Only issue is cannot drive on a dirt road with any type of window open or the dust is horrible. What causes that. My honda element doesnt do that. Is it the door seals ?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,638 Posts
Glad you got it running again!
It wouldn't hurt to check the door seals. Especially on the rear hatch.

Reactions: Nitrogen
1 - 4 of 4 Posts