Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First> Safe Harbor statement, I'm in no way connected with Appcar Sp. z o.o. company. I'm just excited customer.

Some of you probably noticed that car diagnostics is my hobby and I already shared here that was quite disappointed how is Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge protective regarding Diagnostic PID availability.
Literally no chance to do anything more advanced than OBD2 without StarScan or WiTech

Until now...

I found link to application DiagFCA which looked promising. https://appcar-diagfca.com/en/supported-vehicles/dodge/ They promise to read all units, not just OBD2 minimum from Engine PCM... They promise to work with any ELM327 adapter. Sounds too good to be true.

In the past I purchased rather expensive OBDLink LX Bluetooth adapter which I mated with Android Torque - it worked well, but it is read only generic engine/emission info and PCM fault codes erase capability. Did the job, but if you know what you are doing, it is like Swiss knife for dentist...
Why I went with $40 OBDlink LX and not $9 generic ELM327 from ebay? Simple - OBDLink has pairing physical button and batterysaving sleep mode. I leave adapter in socket all the time, so leaving cheap "open" BT ELM327 broadcasting and accepting "1111" pin all the time in my car standing whole night on the street was not an option.

Allright I have OBDLink LX which is explicitly mentioned as compatible adapter.
I exchanged few emails with them, because Nitro is listed as coming soon despite Jeep Liberty KK is already supported. Answer was positive. Nitro is supported too.
On Dec26th I placed order - $50 per one car (you need to list your VIN) and I got link for download, registration code.
Installed on my venerable Intel CoreDuo W10 laptop.

And today - Santa came again. I connected to the car - downloaded database for my model and then it was pretty straight forward.
Connected flawlessly, found Nitro and it's 16 ECU's.
Now I can see PCM, TCM, Door Modules, HVAC... DTCs', read real time data - i.e. A/C compressor, HVAC Pressure, flaps positions. Same for all ECU's from Engine, over transmission to Door Modules.
You can exercise devices through actuators to evaluate their condition.

And you can configure some advanced features - like DRL and others.
I did few screenshots from most likely most demanded setting - DRL.
When setting to Canada you can configure voltage (brightness) and select the desired source (low/high/fog/blinkers)…
See pics.

I'm very excited, this is true diagnostic tool allowing you to get information from all car sensors if you are troubleshooting some weird behavior and also allows you to customize your car beyond the EVIC menu settings.

And remember - you can recode ECU's in your car - which means at worst you can brick your car and have it recoded completely by a dealer!

If you are advanced DYI mechanic, if you have ELM327 adapter and you have spare $50, then I recommend you to consider this software. At least if you are not willing to spend $500+/yr on WiTECH subscription.

In case y'all be interested I'll screenshot advanced diagnostics data from some ECU and also actuators - just let me know if your are interested.

See pics - DRL encoded to FOG lights and then to High Beams @ 7volts. (no glare, nicely visible, wears less used high beam filament) DRL on blinkers is not legal here and while other drivers expect blinkers to be used only as hazard/blinkers here, such setting could be very dangerous, so I set it only temporarily for curiosity.

Hope this helps.

Happy Holiday - Merry Christmas and health and happiness to you and your family in 2019!
HighBeam.jpg Foglights.jpg setting.jpg DSC_2100.jpg DSC_2097.jpg DSC_2098.jpg DSC_2099.jpg

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Great news. Putting DEL onto the driving lights would be great. Then one could replace H13 headlight bulbs with LED not having to worry about low voltage on DEL high beam.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm sorry what is DEL acronym for?

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
slip of the finger E should be R, DRL.

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Between sensitive touch screens and auto spell , so many mistakes.
THANKS Nitrogen

Reactions: Scar0 and Nitrogen

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
here is a question for you.
In the software can it toggle off, or alter lamp sensors. (Turn signals?).
Meaning when a bulb is gone or LED is mounted without resistor you get fast flashing with error code.
I would like to get rid of all those resistors I had to mount.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hello, I'll chcek, but I didn't notice any feature to cloak broken bulb error code or alter turn signals frequency and disable broken bulb checking.
I replaced radio with aftermarked and there was error stored in CANBUS ECU. I did resolve by setting factory radio to none.
I guess the broken bulb is low level feature and detection mechanism is hard coded.
Give me few.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
THANKS only my head lights and interior are still filament. Rest are LED.

Reactions: Nitrogen and Scar0

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
OH and the riving lights are still stock.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,305 Posts
Theoretically this could be used for a bunch of things. I wonder if it could activate the OEM Amp I installed.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
here is a question for you.
In the software can it toggle off, or alter lamp sensors. (Turn signals?).
Meaning when a bulb is gone or LED is mounted without resistor you get fast flashing with error code.
I would like to get rid of all those resistors I had to mount.
i have just seen some new LED bulbs that don't need load resistors.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Yes saw some too. Just wonder how true that is

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
lt.kubosh is it possible to change the parameters of the voltage regulator ?.

·
Nitro Addict!
529 Posts
Thanks, that’s great news!

Does that mean I can finally get my heated front seats coded to work that I took from a different Nitro along with the required switches, but have never been able to use because my dealer service manager couldn’t figure out how to change the ECU that allows the switches to work?

Can this device help me with TIPM problems to diagnosis where the electrical fault is starting?

After 3 days of solid rain, my Nitro isn’t starting again. I can’t believe our Nitros weren’t included in the class action suit for TIPM failures and Dodge still to this day hasn’t produced fixed TIPM parts for the Nitro.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
SurgicalSteel,
Post after you use it. I’m curious about it too. Would be nice to have DLR and other stuff on.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,305 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Any ELM 327 will work if the chip is v 1.3 and higher.
I don't think the WiFi version will work.
Obdlink LX is verified. They have regular discounts to $29.99
http://www.obdlink.com/lxbt/

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
605 Posts
Just found out about this searching the net.

Seems promising for adding steering wheel controls. Want to add back my rear view camera as the lock pick get finicky and needs the radio fuse to be pulled sometimes so I removed the lock pick.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts