Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I've owned my Nitro since July 2007 and since then have had it die (litterally shuts off :eek:) on me while in drive about 4 times now. Once was on the freeway about 10 mo ago while going 65 mph, and again just as recent as two weeks ago while going 10 mph entering a parking lot. The Nitro without warning completely shuts off, all power is lost, then a few seconds later the power will come back on, but not the engine. I have to throw it in neutral and crank the key to get it running again. Mind you - this is taking place while I'm driving on the road, thank god I kept my wits about me and was able to handle the situation without getting harmed, or harming others. This is a huge safety concern for me and was curious if anyone else out there has encountered this issue with their Nitro?

There is no rhyme or reason to it occurring either. As it has happened while driving long distances, short distances, at different speeds, in different weather condition, etc... so I can't even plan for it or pinpoint why it happens.

Any insight you may have regarding this matter would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure - I did go in for one recall issue, and if memory serves it had something to do with updating the programming. However, will definitely call the service department right now and find out if this one was completed for my vehicle or not. Thanks so much!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The service guy stated that this recall isn't associated with my vin #, so the dealership would have to charge me for performing the reprogramming. I told him that wasn't happening, and that I was going to call Chrysler customer service to get them to pay for it. We'll see what happens... keep you posted!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Welcome back NitroGlycerin1, Sorry it was not under better circumstances. Hopefully Dodge will fix this dying issue for you.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks - yes, I'm back and am also sorry it's for this issue. But in any case, am looking to be more active/involved in the Nitro forum world going forward... Will get some update pics of GLYCRIN uploaded soon for sharing.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Remember - "The squeeky wheel gets the grease", so squeek your buns off and get it fixed. Good luck, keep us informed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone! Don't worry - I'm not one for letting up easily. A Dodge/Chrysler senior rep is supposed to call me by 5 PM tomorrow regarding this issue. Will keep you posted...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Just a note to let you know that this has happened to me several times also. I own a 2007 Natro R/T and at least 5 times I had the thing happen to me. On the expressway going 70 miles per hour. Thanks for the info on the recall I will check with the dealer next week.
Big Red

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2010 Nitro. It shut down 2x in the same day, its my wifes car, and I happened to be driving, glad because she may not have handled it as well.......luckily it happened at about 25mph both times going into a right turn. The second time it happened, the key actually bent in the ignition somehow???? Its now at the dealer and they called me saying to come pick it up cause they cant find anything wrong, I told them to keep it and keep trying.....we'll see what happens.....

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So... after all my efforts am having to pay Dodge to correct the engine stalling issue. They stated since Safety Recall G25 "Reprogram TIPM - Engine Stalling" wasn't associated with my VIN # that they wouldn't cover it under warranty. That's a load of crap, because the discription of this recall outlines exactly what mine does. In any case, it's only $100 for them to run the reprogram and that's worth my peace of mind and safety. Will let you know if it does the trick...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Come to find out the technician told me that Dodge/Chrysler already had the G25 recall performed on my vehicle before it was put on the lot for sale. So, he ran the only other system update showing for my vehicle, which cost $100 and hopefully resolved the stalling issue. Will let you know if for any reason it stalls from here on out...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello
I’m glad I found this forum. My girlfriend brought a 09 Nitro a couple of months ago and I absolutely understand why. It’s clean,4x4,and mikes are below average for the year. While I was driving it 3 days ago- it died. 35-40 mph. The dashboard lit up, windshield wipers came on, front and back. Washer fluid streamed constant at the rear, and the horn beeped intermittently. The engine died but everything else came on all without warning.
thank you for the previous post, from your experiences we have good direction towards our next steps.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Quest👀. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

Unfortunately, your symptoms are more then just dying. The other things going on like; windshield wipers came on, front and back. Washer fluid streamed constant at the rear, and the horn beeped intermittently.
Are all signs of an internal short in the TIPM. I hope that is not the case, but sure sounds like it to me.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts