Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
I don't see how the Nitro competes with the Liberty...I think the Nitro competes with the Land Rover and the Hummer :Racing:

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I don't see how the Nitro competes with the Liberty...I think the Nitro competes with the Land Rover and the Hummer :Racing:
it's the media....who knows where they get their info from!

·
Registered
5,585 Posts

·
Registered
951 Posts
Thanks Waldorf. The new Liberty is not launged yet in Europe. If both cars made a profit contribution there is no reason to skip one of them. But if not, I think they will chose for the volume model. I don't know but I guess the Liberty sales are above the Nitro sales. And that could be the end of the Nitro. Just for cost savings.

·
Registered
122 Posts

personally i think you are wrong...to compete with rover and hummer, the vehicle must have a strong off road ability...the nitro has the looks that the liberty doesn't, i will give you that one...but when $H!T gets down and dirty, which one has 4 lo which could mean the difference between freeing your self or being stranded? besides, how many nitro owners would be willing to cut in to the front end to have a bumper like this?

it wont be long in tell you will start seeing stuff like this in the after market...besides, which vehicle is going to drive the off road side of things? yes the nitro has driven the bling market but it will never be looked at as a off road vehicle.....sorry for the rant but this is just personal opion

·
Join!Resistance is futile
22,085 Posts
personally i think you are wrong...to compete with rover and hummer, the vehicle must have a strong off road ability...the nitro has the looks that the liberty doesn't, i will give you that one...but when $H!T gets down and dirty, which one has 4 lo which could mean the difference between freeing your self or being stranded? besides, how many nitro owners would be willing to cut in to the front end to have a bumper like this?

it wont be long in tell you will start seeing stuff like this in the after market...besides, which vehicle is going to drive the off road side of things? yes the nitro has driven the bling market but it will never be looked at as a off road vehicle.....sorry for the rant but this is just personal opion
Not to dis the Liberty but how many actually need that off road ability? Sure theres is a good market for off roaders but far more are grocery getters ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
i under stand you point but if you look at the different threads out there, many people are trying to turn the nitro in to something different whether it be a different tcase, a lift, skids, or different bumpers...

·
22,085 Posts
i under stand you point but if you look at the different threads out there, many people are trying to turn the nitro in to something different whether it be a different tcase, a lift, skids, or different bumpers...
Yes I agree! Guys always like to tinker ;) But if I wanted to do any kind of off roading I would get the Jeep, myself I would like to do some appearance mods and maybe an cat back exhaust if I had the $$$ but my hats off to to the ones that want to do the big things we can all learn from them! And for my next ride if the Nitros gone , whats out now I would go for the Liberty.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I'd wait for chrysler to comment. idiot analysts, especially in the auto industry are wrong more than they are right.

It makes for a good story.

The compass and commander are likely ones to go, but I can't see the nitro going.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I'm surprised they haven't axed the Pacifica too. The Chrysler Aspen needs to go, in addition to the ones acx mentioned. Of course we're biased and the Nitro should stay, especially considering its the first time in history a Jeep and Dodge are built side by side. :smileup:

·
22,085 Posts
I'm surprised they haven't axed the Pacifica too. The Chrysler Aspen needs to go, in addition to the ones acx mentioned. Of course we're biased and the Nitro should stay, especially considering its the first time in history a Jeep and Dodge are built side by side. :smileup:
Yes it seems that would keep production costs down!

·
Registered
369 Posts
We test drove the compass & you cant see anything past the windshield since the hoods slopes down so much. The salesman said the Nitro was the #1 seller on the lot lately if you want to believe him? Personally, I think the Compass would be eliminated 1st. We were out today with the Nitro, & 2 different groups of people stopped us to ask about it. It sure gets attention.

·
Registered
250 Posts
In my opinion, the Nitro is less likely to be axed because of its relationship to the Liberty. The Commander was likely to be dropped even before the new ownership because of slow sales and overlap with the GC. Its reason for being was the third row of seats which in the end, many people didn't want anyway. Poor market research on that one.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would happily rip off that front bumper to replace it with an ARB bumper or something similar to get the job done. While mine is not a grocery getter I see far too many people using it as one. I have tested its off road capabilities and have been impressed so far with it. While there are some definate drawbacks to it like the front tapered wheel wells I think it could be a good offroad vehicle. The abscence of the 4 low definately draws a different line in the sand when it stands up off roading against the liberty. It surprises me that the sales are lower than the liberty though. I rarely see those glorified 4 wheel drive Dodge Neon's on the road...

·
Nitro Addict!
537 Posts
Lots of Liberty's in my area.

I would happily rip off that front bumper to replace it with an ARB bumper or something similar to get the job done. While mine is not a grocery getter I see far too many people using it as one. I have tested its off road capabilities and have been impressed so far with it. While there are some definate drawbacks to it like the front tapered wheel wells I think it could be a good offroad vehicle. The abscence of the 4 low definately draws a different line in the sand when it stands up off roading against the liberty. It surprises me that the sales are lower than the liberty though. I rarely see those glorified 4 wheel drive Dodge Neon's on the road...
The Jeep Liberty has a good sales record and there are a couple hundred in just my small area, but we are in snow country where almost everyone has a 4x4 vehicle. I have noticed a few Nitros, but their popularity has not caught on yet. If one or the other is going to be cut from the market, I am sure the Nitro will get the axe, not the Liberty. That is unfortunate, as I see them as filling two different market demands. The Nitro (in my mind) is not an off road vehicle and should be compared to the Honda CRV, Nissan Murano, and other City-SUVs, not the serious off-road vehicles.

Actually, I think the Nitro is almost a unique vehicle that doesn't fit in any specific group. That is a large part of the reason we bought TWO Nitros for our family.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I live in a very 4x4 market as well and see more of the nitro's for the onroad capabilities. A lot of people get it because its a suv here that is small to midsize that can handle the winter and the passes around here. That being said the Jeep Liberty is overlooked and a lot of people drive the cherokee here or just flat out go buy a truck. While I love the purchase of my nitro my patience is wearing thin on having to constantly take it in for minor repairs. I was torn between this and actually getting a used tacoma truck. I am starting to get cold feet on the nitro though and anticipate it getting the axe. Too many concept cars or style of cars are coming out through dodge and I think the nitro will be a fad unfortunately the more I think about it. I do agree that the offroad capabilities are very limited. While mine can take the puddles and such, it just does not have the ground clearance or the layout to take much offroading. When I move to Arizona I feel that mine will be on the chopping block shortly. Time will tell though and better to unload it before it gets axed than to get stuck with it after it gets axed.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts