Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new member here.

I have a 2011 dodge nitro that all of a sudden sprung a problem! Does not want to charge, I replaced the battery (new) and had the alternator reman'. Both items check out good.

Voltage at the battery when truck is on is 11.8-12.1. I've been reading that the voltage regulator might be the problem but its inside the pcm. I just dropped a few bucks getting the alternator remaned and a new batt. I know the pcm will be a few hundred dollars. Not in the position to drop more money on it. Can I add an external voltage regulator? Any more thoughts on what the problem might be?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I am sorry to see that you joined under these circumstances. With the way vehicles are made today, with all of the built in electronics, I doubt that you can add an external voltage regulator. But, I am no expert! LOL

:cool:

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,459 Posts
Check the fusible link between the generator and the (+) battery.
Wire from generator is Red/Gry, Battery side is Red, fusible link is 8 GA, LT Blu.

NOT the Gry/Red wire, this goes to the PCM as well as the Brn/DK Grn.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same issue here. Replaced the battery and alternator this week and I'm not able to start it after it sits overnight. It has juice to run everything but start it. When I jump the truck with my other car it fires right up. I checked for a fusible link like suggested but can't seem to find the fuse. I followed the red/gray and it goes into the body harness.

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
I'm having the same issue here. Replaced the battery and alternator this week and I'm not able to start it after it sits overnight. It has juice to run everything but start it. When I jump the truck with my other car it fires right up. I checked for a fusible link like suggested but can't seem to find the fuse. I followed the red/gray and it goes into the body harness.
Welcome to the forum. Something is draining your battery, enough so as for you not to be able to start in the morning. Do you have an under hood light? Do all of your interior lights go off when they should? Do you have a remote start? :confused:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nothing aftermarket added other than HID's which I've had for over 2 years. The radio and other accessories stay on for their given time period, but when you open the Driver's door, the lights and such don't ever come on. So like that, usually once you open the door after driving, everything should go off right?

·
The Univalent Radical
7,287 Posts
Nothing aftermarket added other than HID's which I've had for over 2 years. The radio and other accessories stay on for their given time period, but when you open the Driver's door, the lights and such don't ever come on. So like that, usually once you open the door after driving, everything should go off right?
Once you turn the engine off, the radio, etc will stay on for a minute or so, or until you open the door. Then everything should turn off. The interior lights will fade to off when you close the door. I'm not an expert, but something must stay on, slowly draining the battery

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts
Are your brake lights staying on?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Welcome to the forum, i have just been looking around trying to find some knowledable info and i came up with this from another site. It makes sense so i figured id share of course.

**All vehicles draw a little current from the battery when the key is off to run the clock, keep the memory alive in a digital radio (so it doesn't forget the station settings) and the engine computer. Alarm systems need current to keep their circuits armed as do cellular phones.
Current drain on the battery can be checked with an ammeter. Make sure the ignition is off, then disconnect one of the battery cables. Connect one ammeter lead to the battery and the other to the cable. The normal current drain on most vehicles should be about 25 milliamps or less. If the key-off drain exceeds 100 milliamps, there's an electrical problem that requires further diagnosis.
Finding the hidden current drain can be time consuming. The easiest way to isolate the problem is to pull one fuse at a time from the fuse panel until the ammeter reading drops. This will tell you which circuit is draining the battery. Then you have to check the wiring and each of the components in that circuit to pinpoint the problem**

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, new member here.

I have a 2011 dodge nitro that all of a sudden sprung a problem! Does not want to charge, I replaced the battery (new) and had the alternator reman'. Both items check out good.

Voltage at the battery when truck is on is 11.8-12.1. I've been reading that the voltage regulator might be the problem but its inside the pcm. I just dropped a few bucks getting the alternator remaned and a new batt. I know the pcm will be a few hundred dollars. Not in the position to drop more money on it. Can I add an external voltage regulator? Any more thoughts on what the problem might be?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
How was this problem resolved??? I’m having the exact same issue with my 2011
Cole

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts
Welcome to the forum @Cole2011. When you have a chance, head over to the Newbie Section (<click this) and say "Hi".
Tell us a little about yourself and your ride.
That way we can welcome you all proper like.

·
Registered
2007 Dodge Nitro SLT 3.7L
7 Posts
I was having the same issue. I could literally watch the battery drain with a multi meter. What I found was, after pulling fuse J9 PZEV MOT/Flex Fuel, it stopped draining the battery. I’m still trying to figure out what that fuse is for. I’m assuming I have a relay stuck on or something like that. Hope this helps

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts
I was having the same issue. I could literally watch the battery drain with a multi meter. What I found was, after pulling fuse J9 PZEV MOT/Flex Fuel, it stopped draining the battery. I’m still trying to figure out what that fuse is for. I’m assuming I have a relay stuck on or something like that. Hope this helps
PZEV Motor/Flex Fuel = Partial Zero Emission Vehicle
Not a Nitro. But interestingly I do have a fuse in that location also.

Reactions: JPthekid

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,459 Posts
J9 is used for the diesel engine
Do you know for what purpose? I was unable to find any reference to it in any of my service manuals. All CD as well as the 07 books I have.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts