Nitro Relevation (for Beach Driving)

Discussion in 'Chassis - Suspension - Wheels and Tires' started by Smythcounty, Jun 25, 2017.

1. Smythcounty

Smythcounty New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    So, I was thinking about renting a Jeep Wrangler for an upcoming vacation to the Outer Banks, NC (miles and miles of beach driving) when I realized I already had an option in the driveway. I never thought of my 2007 Black Nitro R/T other than a family SUV for the occasional snow until I read some of those posts. It has the 20" wheels on it. So what I'd like to know from you guys/gals is what mods should I start with particularly for the beach driving? I do live in the mountains and have several off road trails nearby that I would travel but I would never do any crawling or anything too extreme. Those days are over for me. :) One thing is I would need to pull this off in two weeks. So let me have your immediate suggestions.

Thanks so much,

Kevin

Ps I posted this in off road forum with no response.

2. Metaldog

Metaldog Well-Known Member NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    2008 Dodge Nitro 4x4 3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Brilliant Black
    Your Nitro should handle beach driving flawlessly with just the stock setup. And 4WD helps! I hope it's a 4x4. I wouldn't attempt it otherwise.

In honesty, a good set off all-terrain tires should help facilitate an enjoyable experience. Aside from that you should be good to go!

3. Smythcounty

Smythcounty New Member

Vehicle:
    Nitro
    Thanks! Yes it is 4wd with 20" wheels. I'm wondering how the low profile tires will do in the sand? If I go with an All Terrain Tire I'd have to get some 17" rims I would think. I don't think I can get an aggressive enough tire in 20's. What kind of bot pattern and off set can I get with stock?

Thanks

4. gold cobra

gold cobra New Member

Vehicle:
    07 SX 3.7L 4x4 auto
    Color:
    Black
    5x114.3 bolt patten can fit 16x8 wheels with a 245 75 16 tyre which would give the tallest option, 17's would be less tyre wall. But still would be a better option than 20's
    U can run 0 offset with 8 inch wide wheel

5. Tommy-G

Tommy-G New Member

Vehicle:
    Dodge Nitro
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Bright Silver Metallic
    A little late of a response but better late than never I guess. Did you get new wheels in the end? I go on the beach quite regularly and i just have the standard 20" 245x50x20's Perilli Scorpion STR. Just make sure you let the PSI down to around 13 idealy and also turn traction control OFF. (Goes a hell of a lot better with it off).

The only thing i am thinking of doing is putting a 2" suspension lift on it to give my front bumper that little bit more clearance. Have caught it twice when taking on somw sand dunes

6. Scar0

Scar0 Khaki Nitro Nut Moderator Member Relations NOTM Winner!

Vehicle:
    07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
    Trim:
    SXT
    Color:
    Light Khaki Metallic