Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Will you be doing any off-roading (on purpose)?

The interior comfort and ride in a Wrangler is not up to the level of the Nitro IMO. If you want a capable off-roading vehicle that seats 4 comfortably as your daily driver, you can't go wrong with the Wrangler. If you're looking at the occasional dirt road and want a good all-season vehicle with comfort and features, go for the Nitro.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will you be doing any off-roading (on purpose)?

The interior comfort and ride in a Wrangler is not up to the level of the Nitro IMO. If you want a capable off-roading vehicle that seats 4 comfortably as your daily driver, you can't go wrong with the Wrangler. If you're looking at the occasional dirt road and want a good all-season vehicle with comfort and features, go for the Nitro.
I would be doing some light off roading on rare occasion. I am looking for something that will have very few mechanical problems that I can use as an every day driver. I have had 4 Dodge Rams that have had some major issues such as transmissions going, rears blowing and front end issues. From what I have heard the Wranglers are pretty much indestructable. I am also looking for something that I can put a small lift and larger tires on. And big enough to put a baby seat in the back... Nobody makes a lift for the nitro "yet". Hopefully they will soon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
It sounds like you want a Wrangler to me. They are virtually indestructible- at least they were up until the 06 model years when they made a lot of changes including the motors and then rolled out the Unlimited. This new platform hasn't got enough years under it to know whether it will live up the '97-'05 models.

Wranglers have lots of wind noise and can be noisy on the road- especially with any kind of AT tire with an aggressive tread. They get poor gas mileage and aren't that comfortable but I sure as heck love mine.

I also can't wait for my new Nitro but I'm not giving up my Jeep!
http://raft.playnet.com/images/x/mods_05.jpg

:Banana01:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Any suggestions or comparisons? I am stuck between the two...:Banana01:
Hope I'm not coming on to strong here, but...

First of all, welcome to the forumz! Your first post should have gone in the NEWBIE threads. You haven't even introduced yourself, but you're asking questions, which I personally think is rude. We are a tight nit group here, family like... you know?. But you're excused. Secondly, you can go to yahoo auto's or MSN autos, for comparisons between the two above mentioned vehicles, and personal opinions.:Racing:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry if I offended you in any way! I have been reading the posts here for about a week now and have found this board to be very helpful. I figured I would introduce myself once I made my decision on which vehicle to buy. I kind of figured that since you guys are all Nitro owners and assuming that we are all adults here, this would be a good place to get some real feedback on them.

Hope I'm not coming on to strong here, but...

First of all, welcome to the forumz! Your first post should have gone in the NEWBIE threads. You haven't even introduced yourself, but your asking questions, which I personally think is rude. We are a tight nit group here, family like... you know?. But you're excused. Secondly, you can go to yahoo auto's or MSN autos, for comparisons between the two above mentioned vehicles, and personal opinions.:Racing:

·
Registered
790 Posts
I've never driven the 4 door Wrangler but I do think it looks pretty cool, and even considered it when looking at the Nitro. It even looks a bit like the Nitro with the hard top on.
It is definitely a different rig though. The Wrangler has a low range transfer case & a removeable top, not to mention a much lower tow rating (Wrangler - 1000 lbs, Nitro - 5000 lbs). While they can be used by the same group of people, I believe the Nitro fits a larger audience........... ie; those who want a comfortable, competent daily driver that can tow the toys on the weekends vs a true 4x4 big enough for the whole family.

Nice rig though. Definitely worthy of consideration, especially for the summer!!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Sorry if I offended you in any way! I have been reading the posts here for about a week now and have found this board to be very helpful. I figured I would introduce myself once I made my decision on which vehicle to buy. I kind of figured that since you guys are all Nitro owners and assuming that we are all adults here, this would be a good place to get some real feedback on them.
Most of us ARE absolutely adults. It only becomes a problem, when it's taken "personal" Like I said, I hope I didn't come on too strong, but a first post is a first post, and first posts go in a dedicated section, like it or not. Welcome again to the best damn Nitro forum on the net!:beerchug:

·
Registered
543 Posts
You might want to wait for the 2008 Jeep Liberty. Looks like a mini-Commander. And has the interior almost similar to the Nitro.
I agree....it's basically a nitro (since the nitro is based off the liberty platform) that will have better 4 wheel drive capability....I just hope jeep doesn't screw this one up like the new grand cherokees and commanders and have that full time all wheel drive crap, and have the command trac or selec trac like my current liberty has

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
I have one question do you have small kids or plan to have them? I was between the same 2 auto's the Nitro and $ door unlimited. The deciding factor for me was the car seat. My sons car seat fit into the Nitro very nice. The Wrangler rear seat was to upright and the car seat had to be put on the middle.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
I should say that I am a Jeep person. I have owned
1975 cj-5
1960 panel wagon
1991 wrangler
1992 wrangler
1966 M38A1
1982 scrambler (cj-8) same one twice
1981 scrambler
1984 RHD scrambler
1977 cj-5
and one other cj-5 don't remember the year

My heart was in the Jeep but for the Comfort of my son in his car seat I went with the Dodge. I can always get a Jeep when he's older. I felt it was a selfish move for me to buy the Jeep. Family comes first!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have an older (95) Wrangler, and love it to play with, but I drove both, the New Jeep and the Nitro last week, and for an all around vehicle, I purchased the sunburst orange Nitro, both for looks and comfort. there is a considerable difference in road noise between the two.. More of a quality feel in the Nitro, but good luck to you in which ever way you go, and enjoy your new car...P.S., I stilll have the wrangler, wouldn't part with it...:loser1:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey guy's! I decided to go with the Nitro. Just got home from the dealer after a loooong day of sitting around going back and forth with price and what they would give me for my trade. Got to drive it 70 miles home which was awesome! I love how everyone on the road looks at you like "what is that car he's driving" lol. Anyway, I just wanted to say thanks for the opinions that you all had. I liked the Jeep but it is just way to bouncy for me to use for an everyday driver. Ill get some pics of it up as soon as I can.
P.S. NitroBilly, I just posted in the newbie section and introduced myself...:Na_Na_Na_Na:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was also stuck between buying a Nitro or Wrangler, before (obviously) going with the Nitro. I test drove both of them and the Nitro is much more comfortable for what I wanted. I know that the Wrangler has a tougher ride, and looks great with the top down, but if you're not really into off-roading...go with the Nitro.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.