Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody heard when these will be avail. from somebody besides the dealer? :confused:

I've checked the web sites of Reese & Hidden Hitch and they are both showing the same part # 118421, but all it says is "coming soon". There is no price listed either, but it almost has to be cheaper than the dealer.

· Registered
788 Posts
I went thru this on our '05 Pacifica. Our local Reese & Hidden Hitch had no inventory, quoted me more than a week out & the prices were basically the same as the dealer (less than $20 or so). The dealer had one in stock. Installation was a breeze & took me about 2 hours for the reciever & the wiring, which included cutting the bumper skin.

· Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided to actually call Hidden Hitch & the T-connectors are avail. now (even though the web site says "coming soon"), you just have to get your local dealer to order one for you.

I got 2 quotes from HH dealers and they were both within about a dollar of each other. Pricing is around $50.

· Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just ordered one from trailerhitches.com they have in stock 49.95 plus shipping
I got mine locally $50+change. I installed it this weekend. Its pretty straight forward.

The main problems were finding a good place to mount the T-connector black box with the double-sided tape and I had to splice in about 18 inches to the white ground wire to get it to reach a good mounting spot under the vehicle.

There was so much extra wire everywhere else, but they were so chincy with that ground wire. Oh well, its still a lot cheaper than what the dealer wanted for it.:ura1:

· Registered
18 Posts
wiring ground wire

I just took that short ground wire bolted it in between the two push screws a small nut and bolt and a couple of washers . It was better then drilling or splicing a foot or two of wire. I figured that hole had to be for something might as well us it

· Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just took that short ground wire bolted it in between the two push screws a small nut and bolt and a couple of washers . It was better then drilling or splicing a foot or two of wire. I figured that hole had to be for something might as well us it
I thought about doing something similar, but I wanted to make sure I had a good ground to the frame.
I've had problems on other cars in the past when I tried to take shortcuts or didn't follow the instructions exactly; though I'm sure your solution works too.

G

·
wiring harness

I wanted to buy a hitch for my Nitro SXT. I am sure mounting the hitch itself should not be too difficult. How hard is the wiring? I know you can get the 7 wire and the 4 wire. I believe the 4 wire is a standard wiring for small flat trailers? However, i always see the pics of the Nitro with the wiring on the bach of the Nitro! What route to go?????????

· Registered
788 Posts
I did the wiring on my wife's 05 Pacifica & it wasn't tough. You basically route the wires as described, bolt the new plug into the bumper, unplug a couple of things (brake lights on each side, parking lights) & plug the new harness in.
I think the whole install process, wiring & the reciever, took me about 2 or 3 hours.
Get the 7 round jack & the 7-4 adapter. You never know when you'll be towing a boat or camper with electric brakes on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.