Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody heard when these will be avail. from somebody besides the dealer? :confused:

I've checked the web sites of Reese & Hidden Hitch and they are both showing the same part # 118421, but all it says is "coming soon". There is no price listed either, but it almost has to be cheaper than the dealer.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I went thru this on our '05 Pacifica. Our local Reese & Hidden Hitch had no inventory, quoted me more than a week out & the prices were basically the same as the dealer (less than $20 or so). The dealer had one in stock. Installation was a breeze & took me about 2 hours for the reciever & the wiring, which included cutting the bumper skin.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided to actually call Hidden Hitch & the T-connectors are avail. now (even though the web site says "coming soon"), you just have to get your local dealer to order one for you.

I got 2 quotes from HH dealers and they were both within about a dollar of each other. Pricing is around $50.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey thanks! That's actually the 1st web site I've found that had it listed. I'll probably buy it local though since by the time you add in the shipping it ends up being about the same.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just ordered one from trailerhitches.com they have in stock 49.95 plus shipping
I got mine locally $50+change. I installed it this weekend. Its pretty straight forward.

The main problems were finding a good place to mount the T-connector black box with the double-sided tape and I had to splice in about 18 inches to the white ground wire to get it to reach a good mounting spot under the vehicle.

There was so much extra wire everywhere else, but they were so chincy with that ground wire. Oh well, its still a lot cheaper than what the dealer wanted for it.:ura1:

·
Registered
18 Posts
wiring ground wire

I just took that short ground wire bolted it in between the two push screws a small nut and bolt and a couple of washers . It was better then drilling or splicing a foot or two of wire. I figured that hole had to be for something might as well us it

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just took that short ground wire bolted it in between the two push screws a small nut and bolt and a couple of washers . It was better then drilling or splicing a foot or two of wire. I figured that hole had to be for something might as well us it
I thought about doing something similar, but I wanted to make sure I had a good ground to the frame.
I've had problems on other cars in the past when I tried to take shortcuts or didn't follow the instructions exactly; though I'm sure your solution works too.

G

·
wiring harness

I wanted to buy a hitch for my Nitro SXT. I am sure mounting the hitch itself should not be too difficult. How hard is the wiring? I know you can get the 7 wire and the 4 wire. I believe the 4 wire is a standard wiring for small flat trailers? However, i always see the pics of the Nitro with the wiring on the bach of the Nitro! What route to go?????????

·
Registered
790 Posts
I did the wiring on my wife's 05 Pacifica & it wasn't tough. You basically route the wires as described, bolt the new plug into the bumper, unplug a couple of things (brake lights on each side, parking lights) & plug the new harness in.
I think the whole install process, wiring & the reciever, took me about 2 or 3 hours.
Get the 7 round jack & the 7-4 adapter. You never know when you'll be towing a boat or camper with electric brakes on it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.