Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As most everyone is aware there are issues with the shift quality of the Nitro transmission. A TSB is available to correct various problems with the transmission. TSB 18-037-06 FLASH: Vehicle Surge, Grumble/Drone During Torque Convertor Lockup And/Or 1-2 Part Throttle Shift Quality.

However, members are still reporting torque converter shudder as well as a transmission bog. I performed the TSB on my Nitro shortly after it was released. My vehicle has 2000kms and there is a transmission shift issue. The transmission does have torque converter shudder at 70km under light to moderate throttle. Also the 3-4 shift is poor. During this shift is appears the torque converter is locking and unlocking as well it downshifts briefly to 3 after it has shifted to 4th and then back to 4th. This is easily seen on the tach.

I sent an electronic product report to Chrysler Engineering last week reporting the transmisson shift issues. I received a call today from one of their engineers. He stated that he wants the torque converter replaced. If that doesn't cure the problem he then wants the torque converter break-in enabled.

I have not ordered the new torque converter. Instead, I performed a transmission quicklearn and re-enabled torque converter break-in. This is an experiment of mine. I want to say that enabling T/C break-in can shorten the life of the component. This will be the second time this feature is enabled. It first was enabled from the factory which is normal.

On my drive home the transmision shifting was very normal. No shudder or hunting between the 3-4 shift. I need to give this about a week, maybe less, to verify the results. It may be inevitable that the converter be replaced, but I will post my results.

If anyone has questions about this, don't hesistate to ask. I'll answer the questions I can.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Thanks Larry. The dealer did the Flash and Quicklearn for mine a couple of weeks ago. I still get the shudder but have accepted that I may live with it. It is only at 42 to 43 mph and usually inthe 35 mph speed limit areas.!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the torque converter replaced last week. The problem is better but still does not perform as it did new. I got the nitro and put 200 miles on it then took a 300 mile highway trip. after that the problem started. I did have the reprogramming done twice, then the torque converter replacement.

Any idea if the RT trans will fit on the 3.7 engine in the base model??

·
Registered
601 Posts
Larry, thanks for the heads up! I had the TSB performed on mine today, and I must say it has made a noticeable difference. The tranny on my Nitro, seems to be finding the gears and changing as neccessary. No more drone noise when stepping on it and the mph hit 40-60. Somabitch rides good too! :D Service manager said the computer did show "faults" or some technical word he used which included "faults". Whatever the case, she riding now, and with plenty of giddup too.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hope to put some miles on the Nitro this weekend and see if things change. The transmission has been cooperating since I enabled the break-in. I'm not sure how long break-in lasts whether its timed ignition on or miles driven, but I'm sure if the transmission is gonna act up it will be after that.

That TSB only applied to vehicle built before November 17th so obviously Chrysler knows something. Those of us that still have the problem and possibly getting the torque converter changed tells me theres more to this story.

Honestly, I think Chrysler is not 100% sure what's the problem and the repair for the transmissions is at this time.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
You know I really only get the problem when I am looking for it. When starting off at a stop sign and on the gas moderately, everything shifts just fine. When I really get on it , it still does ok. Only acts up when around 42 mph and not on the gas. The clunk from 1 to 2 has disappeared too. We now have abour 3600 miles on her.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Im Having This Same Problem..... The Car At About 30-40 Mph Shifts Into Overdrive. This Causes The Car To Miss And Hesitate Badly. Its Like The Car Is Shifting To Fast And Causing It To Bog Down. I Havent Taken It Yet In Fear Of Whatelse My Go Wrong. Im Hoping This Car Doesnt End Up Like The Dodge Caliber I Purchased That Gave Me Tons Of Problems Over A Course Of 8 Months And 10,000 Miles.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Im Having This Same Problem..... The Car At About 30-40 Mph Shifts Into Overdrive. This Causes The Car To Miss And Hesitate Badly. Its Like The Car Is Shifting To Fast And Causing It To Bog Down. I Havent Taken It Yet In Fear Of Whatelse My Go Wrong. Im Hoping This Car Doesnt End Up Like The Dodge Caliber I Purchased That Gave Me Tons Of Problems Over A Course Of 8 Months And 10,000 Miles.
BGMZ, I had a Caliber too. Mines never gave me any problems though. Aside from the exhaust issue I had aft about 2200 miles. Turned out, DCX had an exhaust with a whole other design. Dealer swapped out old exhaust under warranty, Caliber was solid from there on out, til I traded it for the Nitro. But yea, after having the flash done on Friday, my nitro felt like it was shifting ok. Now it feels like the problem is back. More time wasted at the dealer....:confused:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We had some real bad weather this past weekend which kept me from going on a longer road trip. However, in the city its shifting good and no transmission shudder. There is a torque convertor ordered for it, but if it stays the way it is I'm not putting it in. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hoping in stays the way it is now for you ,so in your mind did enabling the T/C break in help more than preforming only the TSB.
So far I would say yes. However, there must have been other issues with the TSB Flash that Chrysler was trying to remedy.

Back in 2000 there were Transsmission shudder issues with the Caravans too. It was the year we switched from ATF+3 to ATF+4 and it seemed the fluid characteristics created torque converter shudder. To eliminate this break-in was enabled.

Torque converter break in is described as follows:

The break in feature burnishes the clutch material by operating the torque converter in partial Electronically Modulated Clutch Control (EMCC) for the first several hours of vehicle operation. After break in completion, the torque converter EMCC feature will operate normally.

The 42RLE Transmission is basically the same transmissions an Intrepid, 300M, Corcorde have and have been around for years and have been pretty solid.

Kinda wish that had put the 545RFE Transmission in the Nitro, the Liberty has it. Very solid transmission.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally went on a little road trip this weekend. My torque converter came in on Friday, but I'm on gonna hold off on replacing it. The torque converter shudder, as compared to before, is no longer a concern. The 3-4-3 shift problem I was experiencing has also corrected itself.

For my situation I performed a Transmission Quicklearn (for the second time since the TSB was performed) and I also re-enabled Torque Converter Break-in. I do want to add that re-enabling TCC Break-in may affect the life of the component. However, at this point in time I'm not concerned with that. I feel the problem with my Nitro has been corrected at this time.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Thanks for keeping us up todate Larry. As I said before in this post I still get the shudder around 42mph with moderate gas but shifts fine if I am going thru the gears getting to road speed. We will monitor the tranny posts closely. Thanks again, David

·
Registered
6 Posts
I drove mine for about 2 weeks and starting experiencing problems when it shifted gears. When it came time to shift it jerked into gear. I am not very knowledgable when it comes to mechanical talk, but I am learning. It has now been in the dealership for about 3 weeks. They are waiting for the torque converter to come in, but I will make mention of enabling the TC break in. Thank you for the updates. I am at the point where I'm about ready to ask the dealership for another one....but am afraid I might experience the same problems...They went into the transmission and tried repairing this by resetting or recalibrating, of course this did not work. The forum was more up to date on what was going on than the dealership that is repairing it. Any advice from anyone would be helpful.

Sherry

·
Registered
6 Posts
Evening Everyone,

Well I got word today from the service manager that after replacing the torque converter the transmission was still not up too par. They informed me that they had ordered a new transmission and another torque converter and they should have it by Wednesday and it should be ready Thursday or Friday, but I know that it will probably not be ready until next week. They're all baffled as to what is going on. I feel like My Nitro is just being used to experiment on and I am worried about the final outcome. I Really Miss My White Nitro! So I hope the new transmission takes care of the issues, if not we will just be starting the whole process all over again. I have never had to experience these kind of problems before with purchasing a new vehicle. I am a dedicated customer of Dodge, Chrysler, and Jeep. My last two vehicles were a Chrysler Pacifica, which I miss, and the one before was a Jeep Liberty, also a great vehicle. I guess you could say I'm a Fan.

Sherry

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.