Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got bored and didn't feel like spending a wad of cash on a filter on a stick so I made one for the truck. I bought an intake from option racing on ebay made for the 3.7 liter jeep liberty and modified it to fit the nitro. The modifications included a bit of drilling and cutting but it all worked out fine.

This is what I did:

and installed it looks like this:

I used a rubber grommet and 2 clamps to attach the maf sensor and had to reverse the secondary air injection plastic pipe and trim like 2 inches off it to mate it correctly to the pipes inlet.

and most of all....it only cost $27.99 and about an hour of work. There is a definite difference in power. My honest guess would be 5-7hp, maybe a bit more.

Enjoy and hit me up if you have any questions or comments.:D

·
Registered
788 Posts
Sweet! And simple. Thanks for the writeup!

I'm comparing yours & the K&N & I think there is a middle ground. K&N installs a heat barrier on almost all their installs. Suppose there is anything to them? Seems like it would be an easy addition. How about using the lower part of the existing air box as the heat barrier?

·
Registered
136 Posts
There is also the fact of the R&D that goes into a brand like K&N and also I would assume mounting location of hoses and sensors. There is also the fact that especially in CA that one that is not from a manufacturer made for the vehicle it will not be able to pass smog.

·
Registered
788 Posts
On one hand I certainly agree that K&N is doing the homework, so they should get the business.

But on the other hand, it's my cash I'm talkin about. If I had a ton of it, I would have gone for a Hummer or a LandRover & not rolled the dice on a first year wannabe like the Nitro (don't get me wrong, I love it). So I'm not inclined to spend $200 or $300 on an intake.

Cool air intakes aren't rocket science. The point is to create a smooth, unturbulent path for cool, clean air to get to the throttle body. There are off-brand CAIs around that use the K&N name brand filter & I've used them on other cars with good success. I get a kick out of doing the design & implementation & do it in the forum to kind of colaborate with you guys. So if I'm able to find or design a descent quality tube CAI with a quality K&N washable filter.... and do it on a budget..... you can bet I'll do it. And if that gets back to K&N, then I hope they see the light.

PS: and since I don't live in Cali, if it meets state approval, cool. But not a big issue for me.

·
Registered
136 Posts
nitroinsocal, does your K&N have C.A.R.B. approval or are you R&Ding for the approval.
R&Ding for C.A.R.B. approval. From my understanding, new products of any kind that require their approval take from 6-18 months.

On one hand I certainly agree that K&N is doing the homework, so they should get the business.

But on the other hand, it's my cash I'm talkin about. If I had a ton of it, I would have gone for a Hummer or a LandRover & not rolled the dice on a first year wannabe like the Nitro (don't get me wrong, I love it). So I'm not inclined to spend $200 or $300 on an intake.

Cool air intakes aren't rocket science. The point is to create a smooth, unturbulent path for cool, clean air to get to the throttle body. There are off-brand CAIs around that use the K&N name brand filter & I've used them on other cars with good success. I get a kick out of doing the design & implementation & do it in the forum to kind of colaborate with you guys. So if I'm able to find or design a descent quality tube CAI with a quality K&N washable filter.... and do it on a budget..... you can bet I'll do it. And if that gets back to K&N, then I hope they see the light.

PS: and since I don't live in Cali, if it meets state approval, cool. But not a big issue for me.
I agree with you about the money, but when it comes to parts for my engine, I would much rather trust the experts. I just feel more comfortable when I have someone to stand behind their product if I start having engine lights start to come on. (Which has happened) Most of the top companies that do CAI's are all in the same ballpark as far as price goes. Of course that's why we are car people though, we like to modify and see what we can come up with. Good luck on your endeavor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the constructive replies. I thought about the cali smog emissions issues and my only remedy for that is to move the hell out of cali! As for trusting the pros like k&n to make an intake application thats your call. In my opinion (which is not godly:D ) it's a filter on a stick. If you wanna pay $200 for one go right ahead. Your only getting minimal gains as it is 5-7hp. For your information most of the time when an intake causes lights to be set off on your dash board it's because of to much oil on the filter that has hit your maf sensor and fried it. It's not the intake yet your beloved k&n filter that was preoiled from the factory. Either this or hydrolock in cai applications are 90% of the time the culprits. Finally as for the heatshield. heastshields are definitely beneficial in alot of cai and short ram applications but in the case of the nitro I feel it's completely cosmetic and a way for k&n to charge that extra cash for there kit. When you remove the factory air box and air dam in these cars you will notice the pipe that funnels air from through the grill and into the engine bay. From pics I have seen of the k&n setup it looks as if there heatshield blocks the fresh air from coming in. What good is that? Either way once again the gains are minimal on an intake installed on any car. My 2 cents is this why pay $200 when you can pay $30 for the same damn thing. Whether your homemade intake produces a pony less or not is that really worth the extra $170 bucks. Think about it k&n has you paying almost $40 dollars a hp.:SHOCKED:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sweet! And simple. Thanks for the writeup!

I'm comparing yours & the K&N & I think there is a middle ground. K&N installs a heat barrier on almost all their installs. Suppose there is anything to them? Seems like it would be an easy addition. How about using the lower part of the existing air box as the heat barrier?
using the lower air box wouldn't do anything. Companies like k&n use metal for barriers which stays cooler longer than plastic will. the colder the air the more power. check out my other reply on this post.

·
Registered
788 Posts
True statement, Bob. Seems like black plastic would absorb more heat than a lighter color though. And this is aluminum, which transfers less heat than other metals.

On my Neon R/T I used an Iceman intake, which was a long blue plastic tube.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah I have a plastic evoms intake in my vw gli right now. I actually just like the sound better than the neuspeed cai I had in there. Thats a good point that plastic may conduct less heat but I have had many aluminum intakes that actually stayed cold feeling all the time where is my plastic evoms always feels room temperature. There are also alot of other underlying reasons why car manufacturers use plastic instead of metal on alot of parts. Supply and cost of metal vs. cost of plastic, plastic is more durable to the elements than metal is since it rusts etc...., weight reduction of vehicles to gain better gas mileage and pickup simultaneously and the list goes on. This topic could be debated forever but with minimal gains I really don't think it makes a difference so long as your filter is at the farthest point away from the engine as possible.

B-

·
Registered
788 Posts
I just looked around a bit, and I think the reason why aluminum is used on the ebay intakes is because it's available and 3" diameter plastic tubing isn't! So I thought about using some other kind of material, like fiberglass or carbon fiber (cool look, huh). I see 45 & 90 degree silicone angle tube online all day long so two sections of straight tube with an angle in the middle would easily do the trick.
Another option might be to insulate an aluminum tube.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
R&Ding for C.A.R.B. approval. From my understanding, new products of any kind that require their approval take from 6-18 months.

I agree with you about the money, but when it comes to parts for my engine, I would much rather trust the experts. I just feel more comfortable when I have someone to stand behind their product if I start having engine lights start to come on. (Which has happened) Most of the top companies that do CAI's are all in the same ballpark as far as price goes. Of course that's why we are car people though, we like to modify and see what we can come up with. Good luck on your endeavor.
I am waiting for my Nitro but an intake is t the first mod that I will make.

I agree with Nitrodubbin. This is not rocket science. I make a home brewed intake for my LT-1 9C1 Police car from sewer pipe and K&N air filter-- huge seat of the pants feel and real reduction in 1/4 mile time. Great sound at WOT as well.

I did a similar mod on Ford V8 also with great results.

Trick is to avoid sharp bends, and use a real K&N filter.

I have not studied the Nitro air box, but one of the first things that comes to mind is to remove all resonators, replace them with straight pipe and drill a bunch of holes in any air box supplied. Top it off with a K&N filter and you are good to go.

This is once mod that can't break things unless you hacksaw through your fuel line or something stupid.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As a racer I am always looking for a way to cheat the rules and cost. I have a 4.0 RT and if you look at the design its not bad at all. Air comes in from down low and the box is big. Drop in a K&N filter and its better all but the short intake hose. Is that worth $300? I feel that the CAI's on the market make things worse......except for the smooth flow of air after the filter box. Thats what I am working on fixing. Looking for ideas and coments.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Nitrodubbin: Now that it's been installed for a while, are you still getting the same positive results, is any aspect descending?? HP, MPG, Sound, etc.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.