Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if any of the Nitro Models will be able to be Flat Towed? We have received confliction info. from dealers. Some say the newer R/T 4 wheel drive model will be towable while others say no.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I'm not expert on towing but a 4x4 can be towed when in 2wd. An AWD or I guess you could say a all-time 4X4 (no selectable 2WD) has to be flat towed. No exceptions. Personally I'd flat tow a 4X4 if I had the choice. Other members here may have more knowledge of this, but I hope this helps.

You know I re-read what I posted here and I should clarify what I mean when I say flat tow. For me a flat tow is on a deck truck. Sorry about the misunderstanding.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I thought most any car, 2wd or 4wd, would have to be in nuetral to flat tow, ie; transmission & transfer case in nuetral. My guess is the only Nitro that can be flat towed is the SXT with the manual trans.

I had a Toyota 4'Runner with an auto trans years ago & it had a cooling problem when being towed with all the tires on the ground. I guess the trans fluid wasn't being pumped through the tranny if it wasn't running.

Edit: I assumed that Robin meant towing with all 4 wheels on the ground. Maybe you can clarify exactly what you mean by flat towing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.