Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nitrotech/Scar...I need some assistance hopefully you or someone can help. Trust me I've searched the forum near and far, RTFM (read the f'n manual) so I have done my research. Dealer is the last option but I"m looking at probably around $165.00 for them to look at it and than probably another charged hour to fix it...which we all know is nonsense.

As you may or may not know I recently upgraded my REQ to an RHB 430n. The new unit was purchased from a guy back East. Since I got the Sirius antenna issue resolved I'm still having a problem with the NAVI. Here are the issues;

1 System locates satellites fine but it is still retaining the "home" address for the previous owner. Although I have changed it to reflect my addy in Colorado, saved it, and so on it seems to always default back to that NJ address??

2 Since I installed it the splash screen that had the "Dodge" logo has suddenly disappeared?? WTH did it go??

3 I've unplugged negative on the battery and let it sit for 10-15 minutes, pulled the radio fuse and left out for 15 minutes, unplugged EVERYTHING and let it sit all together for 30 minutes...and same situation.

4 I noticed that after following aforementioned procedures that the unit isn't even asking for the security code like it did the first time when I installed it.

This did come out of a 2011 Dodge Nitro and of course mine is a 2007. If anyone out there has encountered the same issue please advise. I'm fixing to toss the frigging thing if these frustrations continue...or sell it...$600.00 + shipping to the first buyer and let somebody else deal with it. lol.

Anyhow, any ideas or further suggestions? I would kiss the ground you walk on if you could help!

·
Registered
609 Posts
What firmware are you running?

You could always try running the software/firmware again to see if it helps.

I'm not totally sure but isn't the 2007 slightly different than the other years.

I have the RHB 430n installed in my 2011 R/T. I bought it off eBay a few years ago nod love it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am running 50.00.xx firmware. I reflashed it yesterday and problem didn't resolve. The radio is out of a 2011 Dodge Nitro going into a 2007 Dodge Nitro. When I flashed firmware the Sirius satellite worked but GPS satellites aren't being found. I guess I'm going to take it toe dealership next week. supposedly the car needs to be programmed to work with my vehicle??

What firmware are you running?

You could always try running the software/firmware again to see if it helps.

I'm not totally sure but isn't the 2007 slightly different than the other years.

I have the RHB 430n installed in my 2011 R/T. I bought it off eBay a few years ago nod love it.

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Not 100% sure, but I believe you will have to have it added to your build programming Via Dodge.
But also realize this is not my forte, so I may be totally wrong.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, let me tell you about my experience at the Dodge Dealership yesterday. THEY HAVE NO CLUE!! PERIOD.
First of all the tech supposedly put it on the StarScan module. He supposedly said a simple scan and program won't fix the problem.

He advises that I go "backwards" from my RHB to a RER if i'm not mistaken (I'd have to look at the service sheet comments)

Than they also wanted to tear the dash apart and look at the wiring (another2 hours of work at 165.00 an hour) which is just ridiculous.

They also wanted me to buy the Uconnect interface...ummm isn't uconnect integrated IN the radio?? And all I need is the standalone microphone?

If any of you think these "service advisements" are correct feel free to jump in. This bad experience makes me totally reluctant to go back to that dealership. I'm guessing they fix problems by plugging in the scan tool, finding an error code and than of course start replacing parts by process of elimination causing the customer to dish out $100's of dollars, maybe $1000s of dollars for a simple fix.

I don't know I'm pretty frustrated with this whole ordeal. I'm thinking I'm going to have to take this to Denver or Colorado Springs and get a technician who knows what the hell they are doing.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Ok I will try to shed some light.

You have a 2007 Nitro. That year nitro was equipped with an optional RER mygig nav radio. That radio would be plug and play for your Nitro. It would require the nav antenna that goes under the dash cubby area to acquire the gps signal. Then your Sirius and am/fm antenna is still on the roof from factory. The RER radio also has the built in uconnect module and all you needed was a factory microphone from what I have read online. This RER radio was very buggy compared to the RHB garmin radio.

I believe the RER unit was installed until the middle of 2010 also. In late 2010 and 2011 the RHB nav was installed. This has the am/fm, sat, and gps antenna all in one on roof.

With the RHB radio there is no uconnect module inside the radio. If you want hands free it will needed to be added.

I believe the issues you have with the RHB installed are due to some missing communication between a new radio and older nitro. Yes, they work but some quirks are there. It will not change the boot logo due to the radio looking for something that is not there in your nitro. So I believe you are stuck with whatever logo is there.

In 2008 they added a non nav touch screen sales code REN. Up until middle of 2010 then it changed to the RBZ non nav touch screen.

Let me know if you need other questions answered and will try my best.

I have a 2011 R/T that had basic radio and I changed to the RBZ then finally to the RHB and love it. I used to have the RER in another Chrysler product and absolutely hated it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
BLUER101!! If you were here I'd give you a big fat wet kiss right on dem dar lips! FINALLY an answer to ease my frustrations and expense trying to get this radio to work properly! I've dumped so much money into this radio I could have just purchased a new one. Won't let the Dodge dealership put the good ole pull your pants down and bend over just to advise me what you easily answered. Wish you would have caught this before all of this but hey, it is what it is.

Now I can finally sit back and relax and just enjoy! I will keep this radio and just order the splitter from OEMPARTS. Than at least I will have both GPS/Sirius working and deal with Uconnect issue later. It's not like that issue is a pressing issue for me that needs to be resolved.

Now I can focus on my mods on my list now and quit banging my head against the wall looking for answers! So, up next....exhaust and projector headlights.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I tried to explain it best as I could.

Since the Mygig radio format came out in 2007 it was put through a lot of changes between non nav and nav unit.

They had big issues in the first year or so with failing HD's. Then had issues with bricking/frozen radios. It's been a long journey with the radios but they are very good now and we're cutting edge at that time.

When I was looking for my nitro I made sure the part numbers were right around my year to help.

The RER was considered top tier when they released the RHB but the navtech navigation was and still not user freindly like the RHB garmin nav.

So what are the issues that you have with it right now?

Home cannot set?
Logo cannot change?

Oh I see oemparts in your post. They are very familiar with all the versions and issues that can come up without the correct year and model. I think they can make the radio boot with the correct logo if it bothers you. What logo is it showing and has it always showed that?

If you were in S FL I could plug it into my nitro to load the dodge logo and see if it sticks when installed back into yours. My RHB came out of a jeep and had that logo when first booted. After power key cycle the next time showed dodge at startup and wallpaper on the right side.

Sorry for the long post all over the place. Feel free to post any other questions. I learned with lots of research and enjoy passing it along to help people from making mistakes or frustration.

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bluer...No no, you did a great job of explaining I really appreciate it! I know now I'm going to need the splitter but that little booger is around $150.00, which I think could be a LOT less expensive, I'm sure the markup is outrageous for a gadget that probably costs less than $10.00 to manufacture.

I don't really care about the logo issue since in the "My Media" button I have splashed a Bronco logo...YES a Bronco logo for my screen logo.

I am having a lot of problems with it freezing and boot up time is slow! But when it does boot up it works fantastically! It's just the idea of having to wait and see if it will ever boot up or if it's going to fail and not boot at all. That's probably the most aggravating issue at this time.

I've sent OEMparts a message to see if they would be interested in trading for the correct system for my Nitro or if they would just buy it. I doubt if they would but you never know unless you ask.

My reason for upgrading is I really need the Navigation. Keep losing my way for some reason. LOL.

I tried to explain it best as I could.

Since the Mygig radio format came out in 2007 it was put through a lot of changes between non nav and nav unit.

They had big issues in the first year or so with failing HD's. Then had issues with bricking/frozen radios. It's been a long journey with the radios but they are very good now and we're cutting edge at that time.

When I was looking for my nitro I made sure the part numbers were right around my year to help.

The RER was considered top tier when they released the RHB but the navtech navigation was and still not user freindly like the RHB garmin nav.

So what are the issues that you have with it right now?

Home cannot set?
Logo cannot change?

Oh I see oemparts in your post. They are very familiar with all the versions and issues that can come up without the correct year and model. I think they can make the radio boot with the correct logo if it bothers you. What logo is it showing and has it always showed that?

If you were in S FL I could plug it into my nitro to load the dodge logo and see if it sticks when installed back into yours. My RHB came out of a jeep and had that logo when first booted. After power key cycle the next time showed dodge at startup and wallpaper on the right side.

Sorry for the long post all over the place. Feel free to post any other questions. I learned with lots of research and enjoy passing it along to help people from making mistakes or frustration.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.