Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so... I have been doing some searches but nothing seems to match my problem exactly ( So far). Thought we just had an AC issue, compressor never come on at all, but vents blow air. Then this morning it was a little cool after a rain shower and the windshield was fogged. So I turn on the defroster on heat, and let
the engine warm up a little while I closed up and feed the outside cats...
Get in and no hot air... it cleared the windsheild, but the heat was on full blast and it wasnt even luke warm...
I know there is a to sensor under the glove box. Could that be the issue?
No check engine light, but I havent checked for codes. Any help or advice on where to start?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,009 Posts
Check the blend door actuator.
If you look from the drivers floorboard up and back you should see the blend door actuator with a plug going to it, the mode door actuator is higher up and closer to the fire wall.
Change the temp setting while you watch the blend door actuator.
Listen for clicks or pops. This indicates the door is stuck and the gears are slipping.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
also check the coolant level, a slight drop in coolant level can stop the heat

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mild update... I had a few minutes to check a couple things. First....hooked up my scan tool. No codes, no pending codes. I think I found the blend door. I can hear a slight noise when I turn the dial from hot to cold or cold to hot... but then you wont hear anything again for a while if you turn the knob back again right away. I didnt have a lot if time because I was going to pick up subway for dinner. And it was in the hi 90s and dead calm air, so I just wanted back in the AC.....
I will do some more checking in the am when its cooler out...

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting new wrinkle.... Leaving work at 2 am this morning, there was a little fog in spots... and heavy moisture in the air. The wind shield was drawing it like a magnet. Turned the defroster on high fan and heat. Surprisingly, it was hot.... for about 15 seconds, then went cool. Found that if I played with the controls I could get it to do it again a few times if I turned the fan control off and then back on after a bit. It's like the blend door is working, but being told to cool the air.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
the heater core has hot coolant flowing through it 100% of the time, its the opening and closing of the blend doors that divert the hot or cold air into the cabin,
wasn't sure if you knew this, but thought it might help with your fault finding,

i suspect you have a blockage in the heater core ( common Nitro issue), check the temperature of the heater core hoses (under the hood at the fire wall) they should be about the same temperature at any point in time,

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,009 Posts
Trapped air may also lead to your heat/no heat problem. But would not affect the cold side of things.
If the blend door stuck and the actuator skipped several gear teeth, the system will think it reached the "stop" when it did not. Hard to diag that without the ability to read live data from the actuator. If it is that, then a re-calibration of the blend door actuator should fix it.
If any actuator is removed it has to be installed in the exact postilion it was removed. If not, then it will need to be re-calibrated.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ok, so... I have been doing some searches but nothing seems to match my problem exactly ( So far). Thought we just had an AC issue, compressor never come on at all, but vents blow air. Then this morning it was a little cool after a rain shower and the windshield was fogged. So I turn on the defroster on heat, and let
the engine warm up a little while I closed up and feed the outside cats...
Get in and no hot air... it cleared the windsheild, but the heat was on full blast and it wasnt even luke warm...
I know there is a to sensor under the glove box. Could that be the issue?
No check engine light, but I havent checked for codes. Any help or advice on where to start?
Your heater coils may be plugged up. I have had to pull the heater hoses off on my 03 dodge ram 1500, and us air and blow it out. Doesn't take a lot of pressure. Now it works great. Lots of air. I am going to do this to my Nitro and my Pontiac Montana.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, thanks to everyone for the comments. They all pointed me in the same direction. Fluids were all topped off, and another indication was one heater hose was a lot hotter than the other.

So I pulled the hoses, flushed the core out with compressed air,l oosely shoved in one of the hose barbs and regulated down to 40psi. Then the garden hose, then air again and then the hose. Kept this up for several minutes and then covered the hose barb with the hose and checked the water flow. I did not do this at the start so I had nothing to compare it too, but the flow looked healthy and clean. I topped off the heater core with distilled water and hooked the hoses back up. I was skeptical, but after a short ride I can say completely that the Nitro has heat again!!!
Flushing the heater core seems to have fixed that portion of the climate control issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts