Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I’m new here. I have an ‘07 Nitro 4x4. Love it but it’s slowly beating me down! Noticed it running hot this past summer so I replaced the thermostat, no change, so I Figured out the electric cooling fan went so I replaced it. No problems, then it started to get cool this fall and I had zero heat, temp was perfect according to my scanner. So I flushed the heater core, worked a little better but, low and behold, two weeks later the core started leaking. So $52 and 9 hours later, I had the new core in. Very little change, but was enough to keep the frost off the windows. I contacted the previous owner and asked about this issue, he claimed to have poured in a few bottles of bars leak to plug a radiator leak. So I put a new radiator in. And flushed the system. Now we’ve had a cold snap here in Wisconsin -28 wind chill, zero heat, temp claims to be good, and my nitro overheated.....any suggestions

·
Registered
07’ SLT 4x4 Lifted, 3.7 auto
741 Posts
Nice ride! Hopefully the new heater core isn’t gone from the old radiator and the crap/sludge in it from the stop leak. Are you sure the water pump and tensioner are working correctly? Haven’t had issues with my core so I don’t have much knowledge on that..... also, is it possible you have a restriction in the lines from the stop leak

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I flushed the system pretty thoroughly but anything is posssible. I’m heading to get a water pump now. I’m thinking maybe the fins are gone on the impeller possibly from who knows what flowing thru there for how long. I saw an equinox in the past that was completely worn down. Everything else is brand new. Wth I’ll keep
You posted.

·
Registered
2011 Dodge Nitro Heat 3.7L
1,173 Posts
Hello everyone! I’m new here. I have an ‘07 Nitro 4x4. Love it but it’s slowly beating me down! Noticed it running hot this past summer so I replaced the thermostat, no change, so I Figured out the electric cooling fan went so I replaced it. No problems, then it started to get cool this fall and I had zero heat, temp was perfect according to my scanner. So I flushed the heater core, worked a little better but, low and behold, two weeks later the core started leaking. So $52 and 9 hours later, I had the new core in. Very little change, but was enough to keep the frost off the windows. I contacted the previous owner and asked about this issue, he claimed to have poured in a few bottles of bars leak to plug a radiator leak. So I put a new radiator in. And flushed the system. Now we’ve had a cold snap here in Wisconsin -28 wind chill, zero heat, temp claims to be good, and my nitro overheated.....any suggestions View attachment 39492
Sorry to hear that but pouring stop leak into the coolant system is a BIG no no! That does nothing but make things worse!
I would flush the whole system with CLR.
Maybe change the water pump or at least take it off for a visual inspection.
Be sure to make sure the system has no air pockets (manual bleeder funnel kit or find a shop that can pull a vacuum on the system and refill with coolant using something similar to AirLift part number 550000)

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,584 Posts

Good to have you here. Enjoy the forum!

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,538 Posts
Hello and welcome @Cushy, to the Nitro “Z” family!

Good looking ride.
Here is the belt routing for the 3.7 just in case it got on wrong.

I'm looking forward to your future posts & Pics. We love Pics here!
We also like new Mod ideas.

Enjoy the forumZ.
Scar

BTW;
If you could please go to your signature (<click this) and put the info about your rig on the first line. It will be easier for us to answer your questions down the road, without us having to ask a bunch of questions.

As you can see under every post I make;
This is what I drive:
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello everyone! I’m new here. I have an ‘07 Nitro 4x4. Love it but it’s slowly beating me down! Noticed it running hot this past summer so I replaced the thermostat, no change, so I Figured out the electric cooling fan went so I replaced it. No problems, then it started to get cool this fall and I had zero heat, temp was perfect according to my scanner. So I flushed the heater core, worked a little better but, low and behold, two weeks later the core started leaking. So $52 and 9 hours later, I had the new core in. Very little change, but was enough to keep the frost off the windows. I contacted the previous owner and asked about this issue, he claimed to have poured in a few bottles of bars leak to plug a radiator leak. So I put a new radiator in. And flushed the system. Now we’ve had a cold snap here in Wisconsin -28 wind chill, zero heat, temp claims to be good, and my nitro overheated.....any suggestions View attachment 39492
Sounds like your new thermostat is stuck open or closed. That would definitely do it, easy way to see is let some water out. Let engine run for 10-15 mins then sit and cool for a couple hours. Fill the radiator back up, start it, you should see the water suck down after 5-10 minutes when thermostat opens. If it doesn’t or sucks down immediately its stuck open. ,If it never sucks down the. Its stuck closed. could be water pump as well. Also that stop leak is horrible, it could have killed new thermostat or you coukd have a plugged water jacket somewhere.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Have Ben having the same issue since owning ours for 2 years. Only thing that worked after replacing thermostat a few times, heater core, radiator, flushing the system, is flushing the system completely. It lasted about 3 months and now no heat again. Talked to a dodge guy in town and he told me with the Nitros most of the time they can fix them, but occasionally they get the one that nothing fixes it and recommended we sell it. Unfortunately I think it is time to trade this thing in.
Hope you find a fix that we can't figure out!

·
Registered
54 Posts
just a note about bleeding air form the coolant system, it can take a long time, even the dealerships can have trouble with it. a Nitro with everything working correctly should provide great heat, enough that you will want to have the window open about an inch in subzero temps or set it off high to about 2 marks from the medium heat lvl after it is fully warmed up inside.
as for overheating there are only a limited number reason why it happens and it sounds like you have replace most of them. stop leak is bad and hard to remove from the system I have seen it take more than 3 time to flush the system at a shop to get it out and there still might have been some floating in the system. if your doing it at home do as Patrick suggests with CLR. hope you get it figured out

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,
I have a near identical 07.
When I flushed the system out I made a set of pipes with garden hose connectors on them.
I flushed the core both directions, then filled it with Radiator cleaner/flush let it sit , drained it out and repeated the flush each way. I did all that 3 times . Took an hour or 2 .The heat coming out now is phenomenal.
I'd flush your system out thoroughly,then do the core separately .
You could check the heater hoses to see if they're warm. If you pull one off when the engines running, you'll see what flow you have got, which may help you decide if you need to do the pump.
Good luck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts