Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
suspected starter died. it started delay starting in the am, ran a few earns for my job, came out my last stop at the store, tried to start my nitro and no start. lights cam on but nothing else. no crank no nothing. also where is the starter located? Sxt 4x2 3.7 .

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
First thing I would check is the battery. You may need to replace it. The Nitro hates a low battery.
Everything else can work fine, but it will not start.
Always disconnect Neg (-) first then Pos (+), reconnect Pos (+) then Neg (-)!
NEVER disconnect the Pos (+) with Neg (-) still connected, and NEVER connect the Neg (-) without the Pos (+) already connected.
If you do it backward, you can fry the TIPM, as another member here learned the hard way...

The starter is located driver's side bottom. If you have 4 wheel drive you may need to drop the front drive shaft to replace it.

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,683 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Good to have you here. Enjoy!

BTW... Post a pic of your Nitro when you can!:cool:

·
Premium Member
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,657 Posts
Glad to hear you are back up and running!
Thanks for getting back to us with the fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Glad I found this post as I've been dealing with a similar issue of delayed starting for a couple months.

Had the battery, alternator and starter tested when it fist happened and everything was good, then a week later had things tested again and the battery barely failed its test, but it was about 5 years old so I swapped it out and seemed like the problem was fixed. A few days later the problem started up again and took it to the dealer in town and they said it was the TIPM and the fuel pump, but they didn't know if the TIPM made the fuel pump go bad or vise-versa, after they wanted to charge me $5000 for the work, I had it towed home and did it myself and did it for far cheaper ($44 fuel pump purchased from eBay For Jeep Liberty 3.7 2008-12 For Dodge Nitro 3.7L 4.0L 2007-11 E7219M Fuel Pump | eBay and $65 TIPM from a salvage yard. I previously got a $170 TIPM rebuild by Your Part Source, also on eBay , but was still a week out from delivery so tried the salvaged unit TIPM REPAIR SERVICE 07-14 JOURNEY CARAVAN LIBERTY NITRO WRANGLER 1500 DURANGO | eBay). This was back in May and everything was fine until a few days ago when it started again. I pulled the positive connector off the starter and found a significant amount of corrosion so I cleaned that all up and put some electrical grease on it, which stopped the problem, for a day. I had heard that the ignition switch can also cause this problem, but alas, not luck after replacing it yesterday. I'll try the K3 relay and report back. Just hoping the fuel pump doesn't have another issue.

Oh, forgot to mention that the dealership I took my nitro to some years ago for a fuel tank warranty issue had left 3 mounting bolts out of it or they might have been installed loose and rattled out. I had picked up new hardware and gotten it put back together correctly, but that was a scary find.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well, gambled on a cheap fuel pump and paid the price as my shop diagnosed weak suction and saw that it was not an OEM part. Guess I get to spend my Saturday replacing it with a better unit. #lessonlearned

1 - 9 of 9 Posts