Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know what is up with Dodge not supplying a dipstick with the Nitro. There is a cap that has to be removed by a dealer tech just to check the tranny fluid.:shakehead:

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
A lot of vehicles no longer come with transmission dipsticks. Chrysler has gone that route I would suspect due to the influence of Mercedes. The dipstick tube on the Nitro's transmission maybe the same as the Liberty's. So I'm guessing it might work if you bought the Liberty one. Here's the dipstick part number 53013592AC. They are less then $10.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nitro dipstick

Does anybody know what is up with Dodge not supplying a dipstick with the Nitro. There is a cap that has to be removed by a dealer tech just to check the tranny fluid.:shakehead:
When I bought my Nitro the salesman pointed that out and said the reason that Dodge has sealed the transmission is because in the past most mechanics and owners would use the wrong type of tranny fluid. Dodge wanted to keep this from happening since Dodge already has a bad rep about tranny probs; they are hoping to eliminate some of their bad rep. The salesman also told me that if any message comes on about the tranny, to take the Nitro straight to a Dodge dealership.:Racing:

·
Registered
148 Posts
I agree, it's yet another unfortunate effect from the Daimler takeover. I just got rid of a Mercedes E500. A friend of mine was a service writer at the Benz dealership, and I asked him about that. He said it was a legal thing -- you have to check the tranny level with the engine running, and apparently some lawyer with too much time on his hands decided that was an unacceptable risk for the great unwashed masses (that's us).

·
Registered
28 Posts
Tranny Dipstick

A lot of vehicles no longer come with transmission dipsticks. Chrysler has gone that route I would suspect due to the influence of Mercedes. The dipstick tube on the Nitro's transmission is the same as the Liberty's. So I'm guessing you could have a dipstick if you bought the Liberty one. Here's the dipstick part number 53013592AC. They are less then $10.

Thanks for the part number, but Im having a hard time finding one. Do you have a source where this item may be found? I have checked several "parts" stores online and cannot find a match. Any suggestions? No Offense, But I can only trust a dealer as far as I can throw them. Especially one that scratches your nitro's b-pillar column while fixing a wiring harness! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Thanks for the part number, but Im having a hard time finding one. Do you have a source where this item may be found? I have checked several "parts" stores online and cannot find a match. Any suggestions? No Offense, But I can only trust a dealer as far as I can throw them. Especially one that scratches your nitro's b-pillar column while fixing a wiring harness! Thanks!
Dealer only item. Ask our supporting vendor here. Eastway Chrysler.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looks like you nee Special Tool #9336 for the job. It is described in one of the service bullitens regarding our 42RLE 4 speed Tranny.

Price Tag: $69.99......All it is, is a pretty chrome-end Dipstick. Transmission service bullitons regarding shuddering transmissions describe how to use it, and have a chart for accurate readings. My source = TSB_2100604a

·
Banned
6 Posts
As I mentioned in my previous reply to this thread. There is a little more to checking the transmission fluid on these cars today besides just a dipstick or even the special tool referenced here. Checking the fluid requires that tool as well as a chart and the Diagnostic scan tool to read the transmission fluid temperature. The dipstick tool is measured off in 10mm increments and those increments refer to a specific temperature on the chart. If the temp and measurement do not match then fluid will either need to be added or removed. While it is an inconvenience to the average consumer, it does assist in solving fluid contamination issues previously had on Chrysler group vehicles. The use of your local lube shops bulk fluid (usually Dexron) can cause shifting issues as well as premature wear in these transmissions. The only place to currently purchase the proper fluid (ATF+4) is at the dealer. It may be available on the aftermarket soon, but Im not holding my breath for it. Because of the limited availability of ATF+4, it is rather expensive.Hope this helps,Billy

·
Registered
62 Posts
As I mentioned in my previous reply to this thread. There is a little more to checking the transmission fluid on these cars today besides just a dipstick or even the special tool referenced here. Checking the fluid requires that tool as well as a chart and the Diagnostic scan tool to read the transmission fluid temperature. The dipstick tool is measured off in 10mm increments and those increments refer to a specific temperature on the chart. If the temp and measurement do not match then fluid will either need to be added or removed. While it is an inconvenience to the average consumer, it does assist in solving fluid contamination issues previously had on Chrysler group vehicles. The use of your local lube shops bulk fluid (usually Dexron) can cause shifting issues as well as premature wear in these transmissions. The only place to currently purchase the proper fluid (ATF+4) is at the dealer. It may be available on the aftermarket soon, but Im not holding my breath for it. Because of the limited availability of ATF+4, it is rather expensive.Hope this helps,Billy
You can buy ATF+4 at WalMart. I have been buying there for 6 months now.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There was a serious proposal to seal the hoods so no one could tamper with the emission systems :SHOCKED:
latest word on the street is they are planning to cap off the ignition so a key cannot be inserted. It turns out that if the engine is running it will eventually wear out over time and also it produces nasty greenhouse gases.
Manufacturer found after extensive study that if it's not running none of these can happen.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just a thought, but I have used my engine oil dipstick just to check the color of the ATF and see if it is burnt at all. Make sure you wipe off the motor oil before you do this. As far as how much is in there you still cant tell, but at least you can see if it needs to be changed.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I've seen ATF+4 on the shelves for quiet some time. It isn't a dealer only required purchase.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.