Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so this is for a friend of mine. So what would happen if your car needs 5w20w synthetic high mileage oil but he put 10w40w?

N what would we need to do to fix it
?

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
change oil and filter for correct type, and you should be fine, IMO

Reactions: Scar0

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
07Lifted,4X4,6sp-man,3.7L
30,638 Posts
Agree with Nitrogen... 👍

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
you should always use what the manufacturer states for your engine ?
as for using a different grade oil because of high milage, not sure what is right and what is wrong,
using a thicker oil to take up the slack between worn parts and make the engine quiter, sounds great, but your engine has to work harder to pump the thicker oil around the engine,
this is just my opinion,

·
Registered
10 Posts
Most engines made since the early 2000's were designed against lighter weight oils for better efficiency. They should be run with the oil that the manufacturer specifies. The oil passages and bearings were made for that specific type. Also, I don't like running anything that says "high mileage" because it causes the seals to plump up to stop oil leaks. Once the seals wear into it, you're basically stuck running the high mileage oil until you rebuild the engine.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I believe the place I normally get my oil changes at had been putting the 5w20 conventional oil in my Nitro for the last couple of years because I have a slight oil leak. He said it would help. I had them change the oil at the dealership when I went in for the ridiculous recall. Now I've noticed more oil leaking and it isn't from the oil change. I just thought that maybe because they used another kind of oil or it could just be because the oil is fresh and thinner I don't know because that isn't my gig!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Most of this in your case is all water under the bridge. But, when an oil leak comes up due to a worn seal, you have a few options.

1) Live with it. Check oil more often and add as necessary to keep the level in spec.

2) Fix it. Looking at at least a few hundred dollars if you have a shop do it. But, this is the best option if you want maximum life out of your vehicle.

3) High mileage oil. This stuff has additives that cause rubber to swell up. Worn seals might re-seal and stop the leak for a time. Good seals will press harder against what they are sealing against. Shaft seals will wear down pretty quick. After a couple of years, you may start to see a leak again. If you shift to a premium oil that would go in a healthy engine after a couple of years with this option, the seals will no longer swell up and you'll have more leaks. At this point, you could look back at your options. Bear in mind, option 2 would be a whole lot more expensive because all the shaft seals will need to be replaced.

4) Stop leak. Ummmm, no.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Most of this in your case is all water under the bridge. But, when an oil leak comes up due to a worn seal, you have a few options.

1) Live with it. Check oil more often and add as necessary to keep the level in spec.

2) Fix it. Looking at at least a few hundred dollars if you have a shop do it. But, this is the best option if you want maximum life out of your vehicle.

3) High mileage oil. This stuff has additives that cause rubber to swell up. Worn seals might re-seal and stop the leak for a time. Good seals will press harder against what they are sealing against. Shaft seals will wear down pretty quick. After a couple of years, you may start to see a leak again. If you shift to a premium oil that would go in a healthy engine after a couple of years with this option, the seals will no longer swell up and you'll have more leaks. At this point, you could look back at your options. Bear in mind, option 2 would be a whole lot more expensive because all the shaft seals will need to be replaced.

4) Stop leak. Ummmm, no.
I am going 1 and 3. Mechanic told me that if I get that seal changed, it won't be long before another would need to be changed. With over 180,000 miles, I'm not sinking much else into it. Sadly, it still looks great. At this point, I have never had to add oil to it. I check it weekly now. I just see more on the mat under it. Why is the stop leak bad? I read great reviews on Blue Devil but I know professionals are totally against it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am going 1 and 3. Mechanic told me that if I get that seal changed, it won't be long before another would need to be changed. With over 180,000 miles, I'm not sinking much else into it. Sadly, it still looks great. At this point, I have never had to add oil to it. I check it weekly now. I just see more on the mat under it. Why is the stop leak bad? I read great reviews on Blue Devil but I know professionals are totally against it.
Stop leak: The idea is you add this stuff to your oil, and when it finds an exit from your engine, it hardens into this resin like substance to stop the leak. It should not be used in cases where the leak is on something moving such as cam seals or crank seals. There are a few cases out there where one has used this stuff and continued to run the engine for a few more years. But, those are the lucky ones.

There is a chance that this stuff will solidify in places where you don't want it to such as small oil passages. This risk increases if the engine is opened for work of some sort. When this happens, things get starved for oil and you won't know anything is amiss until something bad happens such as a spun bearing.

Typically, most mechanics if they find out that a stop leak product was used, won't want to touch the engine with a 10 foot pole. In order for most mechanics to comfortably give such an engine a clean bill of health, it would have to be completely disassembled and every part individually cleaned. I also want to say that many reman engine suppliers will decline to return the core deposit if they find out that a stop leak product was used in the engine returned to them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts