Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My oil has been changed twice by 2 different Dodge dealers(3.7L). The first one charged me around $33.00 and used 5w-30. The 2nd charged me $57.00 for 5w-20 (synthetic). I was told that the high cost was due to my truck requiring synthetic. My questions are: Do I have to use the synthetic 5w-20. 2nd question is - I do mostly hwy driving. Do I really need to have my oil changed every 3000 miles?

·
Registered
790 Posts
From what I've read you don't want to be changing back & forth from dino oil to synthetic & then back to dino. Synthetic is not a requirement on the 3.7, but you can get tons of recommendations for it. And usually the recomendation says to change sysnthetic oil only every 5000 - 6000 miles. So yes, it's more expensive, but you do it 1/2 as many times.

This is my first new car. And I'll probably go synthetic in it.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
First your manual says to use 5w/20, not 5w/30 , if you go to a good syn oil stick with it like keeping the cholesterol down in your engine & like AirJunky said extend your drain intervals.:beerchug:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.