Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The new Nitro got it's first oil change and let me say that it was the biggest pain in the a$$ to do of any vehicle I have ever owned. Not sure if this has already been discussed but I have to vent. Whoever designed the location of the oil filter on the 3.7L needs to have his balls put in a vise and squeezed. This being the first time I've changed oil in this vehicle I was a little lost. By that I mean it took me a little while to even find the filter. Once I located it, removing it was to say the least, miserable. Once I finally got the filter off the rest went pretty smoothly. I suggest to anyone that changes their own oil in these things to use the K&N filter (HP2009) because it will make your life a lot easier. These filters are a little more expensive than others but with the 1" nut on the end of the filter it's worth it. Having this nut made it hugely easier to install. All you need is a long handled 1" wrench and your good to go. I don't care if these filters cost $30 each, I'd still buy them just because of the sheer ease of installation. Just thought I'd share that.

· Registered
148 Posts
Another vote for K&N's. The nut is handy, and they're some of the best-quality filters available. They're cheap if you order online through summitracing.com. The RT version (HP2004) is $10... at AutoZone they wanted something like $21!

Fortunately on the RT the filter is laughably easy to access.:Na_Na_Na_Na::D

· Registered
27 Posts
Really not that hard?

Just putting my 2 cents in, but I really didn't find it that difficult to change the oil filter. I completed the whole oil change in less than 15 minutes from start to finish. You should try changing the filter in a 06 Nissan frontier if you think this one was difficult. You have to remove an access panel that has a drain gutter(for lack of better words) behind the panel. You can't even see the filter after you remove the panel, much less get a grip on the thing.

I guess that may be the reason I thought this one was so easy.

Have a great day!!!

· Registered
136 Posts
You have to get to the filter on the 3.7 from underneath right? I think the filter is in the same spot as on the wife's Libby, but in the Libby, you can reach the filter from up top. I think hers is a pain in the ass to change too....

· Registered
413 Posts
filter change on my R/T was simple

filters right there on the bottom out in the open easy to change :D

had a GMC jimmy 2.8 V6......the filter was on the side of the block right above a frame crossmember so no matter what you did the oil drained and dripped on the crossmember and got all over eveything...............even tried to make a funnel type device to help get the oil past the crossmember but still didnt work very well.............stupid stupid design :eek:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.