Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished changing my oil tonight. It took me a good 30-45 minutes of fighting (and swearing) to get the original oil filter off. Dodge couldn't possibly have put it in a worse location. you damn near have to be a contortionist to get ONE hand in there... And as everyone says, the factory filter is on so tight I had to go get a wrench and a breaker bar to get it out. and it still took 30-45 mins to get out. (and a lot of cuts/scratches on my hands and arms!)

I've done all my own maintenance forever because I don't trust people to get it right. (pretty sad, but I've caught several different oil change places lying about work performed).

I wanted to issue a warning out to everyone to MAKE SURE wherever you are going ACTUALLY changes the filter. I have seen on other sites people have caught the local oil change guy not changing it. I honestly think there will be a LOT of places that skip changing it due to the severe difficulty of even getting to it.

Most places don't carry Mopar filters (other than the dealer) which are solid black, so take a glance down and make sure it's a different color for starters. Also, the factory installed filter actually has a stamp on it that says "factory installed" with a datecode.

Just wanted to share my 2 cents on this one. Hope it helps!

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I also do my own maintenance and after reading your comments on changing your oil I was expecting a real struggle. Actually, it wasn't too bad, the most difficult task was how tight the oil filter was. I used an oil filter wrench that has the rubber strap that tightens on the filter as you put tension on it. It was touch & go for a second. Hey, is anybody using synthetic oil in their Nitro's yet?

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One thing I noticed today at Jiffy Lube while changing the oil in another car, if you ask them to see the used parts they will show them to you. You can also ask them what kind of filter they use and so forth. It's always a good idea to see what is being taken out and what is going in. It costs enough to get this done professionally. I can't do it at home due to restrictions by the Association.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I also do my own maintenance and after reading your comments on changing your oil I was expecting a real struggle. Actually, it wasn't too bad, the most difficult task was how tight the oil filter was. I used an oil filter wrench that has the rubber strap that tightens on the filter as you put tension on it. It was touch & go for a second. Hey, is anybody using synthetic oil in their Nitro's yet?
Yes... a lot of our friends up north... Canada... Alaska etc. Syn's an upgrade just put at least 2 or 3 thousand miles on it first for engine break in and seating purposes. Good info on the oil filter by the way... thanks! :Racing:

·
Registered
28 Posts
2 HOURS 38 Minutes

Just an FYI: Ive got you beat on the 30-45 minutes on the factory oil filter. I think I tried every method in the book on mine. I ended up taking off the little drain tray under the filter so I could get both hands at it (2 bolts, very easy) The screwdriver through the filter trick did not work, as we nearly tore it in half when trying to torque it off.

In the long run a regular socket style oil wrench had to be used while one hand held it on tightly to keep it from stripping the grooves. 1/8" at a time until it gave way.

I really wish I took a picture of the end results....a mangled mess.

Final 2 cents: I agree with the first post on taking your car to get the oil changed. Make sure they actually change the filter. Especially on the first 500 mile change. Even with the right tools the filter could be an "i give up" kinda situation if you get the wrong technician to do the job. And you wouldnt believe the factory metal in the oil during the first change.

·
Registered
28 Posts
3.7l

I have the 3.7 Litre that has the filter pretty much pointing toward the front of the car, Buried behind the 4X4 differential and wedged next to the harmonic balancer, a bunch of hoses, and a really hard to reach place.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone with a R/T tried to do an oil change and had the same issues? Just wondering if the filter is any easier/harder to get to.
Thanks!
I just did an oil change on my wife's R/T yesterday. Easiest oil change I have ever done. Of course the oil filter was a little tight, but the location of everything is perfect and easy to get to.

·
Registered
114 Posts
ALthough I'm a bit nervous about doing my own oil change, the first one is paid for by the dealer. After that I might try a couple different places to see which one I like the best, but I'll definitely make sure the stuff is done right.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Piece Of Cake

I changed the oil in my Nitro today. Took all of maybe 20 minutes (most of that was letting the oil drain down good). Filter was easy to get to and came right off with no problem. This was the first "first time" oil change on any DMX product that I have changed oil in that went that smoothly.

·
Join!Resistance is futile
22,141 Posts
Hey Yo

I did em from about 73 to 86 then I got lazy with a Saab, Now I don't have the time:) But In the years I did do them I always felt that It was done right and you know exactly what goes in ( I used them all in the 70s Graphite that was messy but did improve mileage, Mobile 1 when it came out) be sure to put a light coat of oil on the filter gasket and don't over tighten it and I don't know what they use today on the drain plug but I learned to put a new comperssion washer on every time , Let us know how it goes! ;) oh and check for leaks with the engine running !

·
Registered
421 Posts
Well to be honest with you guys I purchased the service contract and have oil changes done by the Dealer for the next 120K (KM's). They let me watch them perform the oil change through the window to the bay. This way I know it is getting done but I have seen them struggle a few times.

I stopped doin it myself when I started purchasing new vehicles in the late 80's and now I dont even think of doing it myself. But I do verify everytime for oil level and old filter.

·
Nitro Addict!
538 Posts
Probably old news, I didn't read the whole thread.

Has anyone with a R/T tried to do an oil change and had the same issues? Just wondering if the filter is any easier/harder to get to.
Thanks!
The R/T's 4.0L oil filter is easy to get to, but the factory installed filter is torqued on so tight, I also literally tore my filter apart trying to get it off. Took me about 2 hours and a trip to the store in another car to get a filter wrench. The kind that works like channel locks and has many teeth to grip the filter. As one other person on this thread said, it was a mess by the time I finally got it removed. Someone on the line should adjust the torque setting on the robot that is installing those filters.

I used Castrol Syntec after my break-in oil at about 2,700 miles.

·
Join!Resistance is futile
22,141 Posts
Yes you need a good wrench

that I learned the had way,I should have said that , I had to "spike" a few on some cars I did in my day( not my own)( thats knocking a screwdriver or rod though the filter getting possibly hot oil on your self and using it as a large handle to twist the filter off) and it better if its hot all the oil will drain better. ;)

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The more I read about all the problems with the Nitros with the 3.7 L motor the happier I am that I changed my order to an R/T.

No one should be nervous e about changing oil themselves. If you can change a tire you can change your oil. I still change my own oil even though I could afford to have someone do it. It gives me quality time with my son or daughter.

·
Registered
148 Posts
No one should be nervous e about changing oil themselves. If you can change a tire you can change your oil. I still change my own oil even though I could afford to have someone do it. It gives me quality time with my son or daughter.
+1 on that... When I turned 14 my dad "let" me do the first oil change on his brand new Ram. I thought it was a really big deal. I was all excited about finally "wrenching" on something. Heh, now I look back and think of all the many, many hundreds of times I've done oil changes over the years and it seems funny from this end of the timeline...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Another thing to look out for when having your oil changed. Usually you have a choice on whether you want bottle or bulk oil. The bottle oil is displayed nicely on their shelves where the bulk oil comes out of a gun from barrels buried under the premises. Bulk oil is usually cheaper. Used to know of an oil change place that used to keep the old plastic oil containers and refill them with bulk and put the lids back on. I always get out of my vehicle when getting an oil change so I can watch what these morons are doing.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.