Dodge Nitro Forum banner

Oil Pressure Light on off on off

6K views 5 replies 2 participants last post by  Nitrogen 
#1 ·
Hi there. First post here. Been an owner of a 2007 Nitro V6-226 3.7L for 6 months. Just last week my oil pressure light came on. I pulled in and got my oil changed. had them add high max life high mile as I have 129k. Now every time RPM is 1 or under the light comes on and of course the 'ding' comes with it. I took it to another place to have this looked at. They found no pressure leaks and no codes thrown. I also confirmed no codes with my dinky little device. They told me it's running hot. It does not over heat though. So am I right to conclude that it is safe to drive and I just need to figure out if it's the switch or sensor? Is this something I can take care of myself? price?

thanks ya'll

#2 ·
just from your description i would say the high max oil is too thick for your engine, maybe the oil pump is stuggling to pump the thick oil,
when the garage checked the vehicle what was the oil pressure reading with the engine at idle speed ?

#3 ·
just from your description i would say the high max oil is too thick for your engine, maybe the oil pump is stuggling to pump the thick oil,
when the garage checked the vehicle what was the oil pressure reading with the engine at idle speed ?
Thanks for the reply. I didn’t get that info from them. This did cross my mind. I can go back with my receipt to the oil change place and have them give me regular 5/20.

#6 ·
3.7l engine oil pressure should be minimum 4 psi at idle (vehicle stationary), workshop manual says if idle oil pressure is low DO NOT run engine at 3000rpm
and 25-110 psi at 3000rpm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.