Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spoke with someone at the Daystar company about the 2" lift kit.
He said that with that lift I would be able to run a tire that is 2 sizes bigger than the largest size stock tire available. So my question now is...
What size does that equate to? Also, What size tires would that be if I decided to run a 15" rim on my rig? I can't wait to get this thing up in the air.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
I spoke with someone at the Daystar company about the 2" lift kit.
run a tire that is 2 sizes bigger
mr8500

The best thing you can do is measure the distance across the inside of the wheel well, both at front wheel and at rear, to determine maximum width. Subtract at least 3/4 of an inch, assuming your wheels are centered in the wheel well. This should give you a good idea of your max tire diameter. Even with a 2" lift, you will still be limited by tire clearance between these two fixed surfaces. While you are at it, measure from the center of your wheels to these same fixed surfaces to make sure the wheels are centered in the wheel well. Let us know how this turns out.:wiggle2: Fair warning-just remember, you are about to throw off your speedometer calibration which could possibly cause a malfunction in several subsystems of your vehicle, like your anti-lock brakes for starters and the stability control. Be prepared!!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think that it could cause a problem? I would think that the speedo would be off but I wouldnt think that would affect anything else. I could be wrong. Im no expert... Anyone here work for dodge????

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
The SLT comes with approx. 91" around tires. The R/T has the largest stock size at about 93". Go bigger than that and you'll notice a speedometer change. It could also affect air bad deployment ect.
For the speedometer changes from tire size to tire size, Google... Aspect ratio calculator or tire size calculator. There are sites that let you play around and put in different sizes on there.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The SLT comes with approx. 91" around tires. The R/T has the largest stock size at about 93". Go bigger than that and you'll notice a speedometer change. It could also affect air bad deployment ect.
For the speedometer changes from tire size to tire size, Google... Aspect ratio calculator or tire size calculator. There are sites that let you play around and put in different sizes on there.
I'm not concerned about the speedo being off, there will be new speedo gears out to compensate for that soon enough. My concern is any other issues that I might have. I have never put a lift in a truck with this kind of computer technology before. I have however owned many lifted trucks so the ride compromise is understood. I just don't want the computer freaking out on me after it is all in.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts
mr8500 I was in no way trying to disuade you from proceeding with the lift and larger tires. I am interested in not only how it looks, rides, and handles, but also if any of the electronics are affected. Just wanted you to be prepared if something happens so you don’t get surprised, damage your Nitro, and/or injure yourself. I guess someone has to be a guinea pig.

I remember a post that I read back in December that said the largest tires that a dealer could select on the Dodge computer were 275/60/17. This is basically a 30” tire with a 10.83" section width. As rbnsal mentioned above, a 15” wheel will not work on the Nitro due to brake clearance issues.

The following are BFG All-Terrain T/A KO tires.

LT255/70R16D 115S RWL 94265 Rim Width 6.5-8; Section Width 10.2 on 7.5; 30.2 diam-16”

It is basically the same size as the 275/60/17, but allows you to go with 16” wheels. If it turns out that 31s will fit in the wheel wells, then you could go with the following size and have to live with the speedo being off.

LT275/70R16D 119S RWL 58521 Rim Width 7-8.8; Section Width 11.1 on 8; 31.2 diam-16”

Good Luck. Please keep us posted.

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
I'm not concerned about the speedo being off, there will be new speedo gears out to compensate for that soon enough. My concern is any other issues that I might have. I have never put a lift in a truck with this kind of computer technology before. I have however owned many lifted trucks so the ride compromise is understood. I just don't want the computer freaking out on me after it is all in.
The speedo thing may even be something that can be re-calibrated by the dealer. Some of the tech guys in here probably know and will say something when they read this. Outside of air bad deployment sensors I can't think of anything that would screw ya up. You'll have to switch your wheels TPM sensors (TPMS) over to your new wheels. Some of the tech guys will know! :Racing:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.