Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Operation of the Nitro DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) is a function that occurs via the CAN bus. There is not external module for DRL's and is a function that is performed within the TIPM (Totatlly Integrated Power Module.)

Vehicles equipped with the Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) feature illuminate the high beam filament of both headlamp bulbs at a reduced intensity when the engine is running, the parking brake is released, the headlamps are turned OFF, and the optional automatic transmission gear selector lever is in any position except PARK. The park lamps may be ON or OFF for DRL to operate. For vehicles with a manual transmission, the DRL will operate in any transmission gear selector lever position. The TIPM must be programmed appropriately for this feature to be enabled.

Once enabled, anytime the TIPM receives electronic messages over the CAN data bus from the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) indicating the engine is running, from the ElectroMechanical Instrument Cluster (EMIC) (also known as the Cab Compartment Node/CCN) indicating the status of the left (lighting) multi-function switch is in any position except headlamps ON and the parking brake lever is released, and from the Transmission Control Module (TCM) indicating the automatic transmission gear selector lever is in any position except PARK, the TIPM provides a pulse width modulated voltage output to the headlamp high beam bulb filaments through high side drivers on the right and left high beam feed circuits to produce illumination at a reduced intensity.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Wow, this is great information! Its just a matter of time before I hack into that CAN bus, but I'm a ways away from that yet. Is this something that can be programmed (turned on) through some type of end-user sequence, or is it a dealer only programming change?

If dealers only, will United States dealers make this change? Based on other posts, it sounds like Canadian Nitros already have this future enabled.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just found the following which says basically the same thing. So what I'm wondering is if "Daytime Running Lamp system" is something more then just TIPM programming. In other words, is there hardware (the PWM circuitry that controls the high beam intensity) not included on Nitros built for the US market.

DESCRIPTION

Vehicles built for use in Canada, and also available as an option on vehicles for sale in the U.S., are equipped with a Daytime Running Lamp (DRL) system. All the exterior lighting messages come from Steering Control Module (SCM) or left multi-function switch on Local Interconnect Network (LIN) data bus and goes to the Cab Compartment Node (CCN), then the CCN sends out a Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus message to the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) for each lighting function according to the request from left multi-function switch. Then the TIPM will turn ON/OFF the requested output. The DRL function is controlled by TIPM. Daytime running lamps are High beam lamps at lower intensity.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have enabled DRL's on US built vehicles such as a 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee and it was just a software enabled feature. I don't have access to a US built Nitro so I can't confirm it would be the same. There have been reports from owners of US built Nitro's who have requested their dealers to enable the DRL's but so far it hasn't been available.

This is not to say in the future this feature may once again be available through the StarSCAN.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I was surprised that it didn't have this in the first place, alot of roads have signs that say " turn your head lights on for safety" I wish it could be turned on with out a major ordeal. I see this as a safty feature, and a no brainer.:SHOCKED:

·
Dodge Nitro Forum
12,771 Posts
I wouldn't advocate running around with your high beams on during daylight hours but DRLs that use high beams at reduced power don't cause me any grief. The greatest glare I've encountered during daylight hours comes from the sun when the roads are wet or I'm heading west shortly before dusk.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I suppose if you want to get really picky, electrical power comes from your alternator. If you start pulling down more amperage than the alternator can supply, then you begin drawing down from the battery, but that's pretty unlikely in any vehicle, and certainly wouldn't be the case with the daytime running lights.

Unlike accessories such as the air conditioner compressor, an alternator is very nearly a static load. It is going to require the same amount of work out of the engine at a given RPM no matter how much power is required by the electrical system it feeds. This is why the alternator's output passes through a voltage regulator.

I say it's nearly a static load because technically (and this is as thoroughly picky as you can get) the load does change a tiny bit. An alternator derives it's name from the fact that the magnet portion is an electromagnet which can be switched on and off, so the load does vary a little (older cars and motorcycles with generators instead of alternators use permanent magnets). But the effects of doing that is negligible -- virtually undetectable -- relative to all the other loads the engine is pushing around as it runs.

In fact, recently one of the car magazines (I forget which) did an informal study of air conditioner compressors to see how much modern-day AC systems really affect mileage, and they had great difficulty identifying any differences. If running a compressor doesn't affect mileage, running a pair of relatively dim light bulbs certainly isn't going to produce any noticeable impact.

Yes, I had some time to kill this morning. :Banana01:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Well, I went ot the dealer this morining and wwas told that the feature of DRL is not available yet...:mad:
but maybe some day.........:thk:
I'm sure someone will find the hack for it :)

As for DRLs, we've had the mandatory up here in Canada for a few years now. My beef with them is that there are way too many morons who use ONLY them at night time. I mean, how do you 'forget' that your gauges are not lit?!?!

I take every effort to be aware of the condition of my vehicle at all time (i.e. checking reverse lights in glass on a building and such), it astounds me the complete lack of such things in others.

So then you have the 'cool kids' who drive with their driving lights and DRLs only. Yeah, they are soooooo cool. :i_rolleyes:

For those that are truly interested in learning about lighting, check out http://www.danielsternlighting.com/home.html

He's and awesome resource, and if you contact him, tell him DragonDon sent ya and that you own a Mopar (he likes to give discounts to Mopar owners :Banana01: ). Any ways, he's a good resource to have around.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.