Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious...does anyone know where the outside temp probe is located? With variance of actual temp, I wondered if the heat of the vehicle was affecting the reading. Thanks :Racing:

· Registered
246 Posts
temperature difference

I have wondered where the sensor is myself. There are times when mine reads much different than the actual air temp. This week I've been in Florida and the outside temp was in the high 80's and it was reading 67 for a period of time. Has anyone else seen this happen?

· Dodge Nitro Forum
9,544 Posts
It depends if you've had your vehicle parked in the shade or in direct sunlight. My Nitro is parked in direct sunlight all day and the temperature difference from when I first get in compared to a couple of minutes later is usually 2 or 3 degrees. The wifes Dodge Caravan did exactly the same thing.
I thought the sensor was located at the rear away from all heat radiance from the engine and all the associated components and also in a position where wind chill wont affect it either.

· Registered
752 Posts
I to was having big swings in the temp. It was off sometimes by 7 to 20 degrees. So when I took my truck in for the oil change I told them about it.I don't know what they did but it works better now and only off a couple of degrees. And the temp sensor is right by the drivers side headlight in the upper part of the grill.

· Registered
13 Posts
I have wondered where the sensor is myself. There are times when mine reads much different than the actual air temp. This week I've been in Florida and the outside temp was in the high 80's and it was reading 67 for a period of time. Has anyone else seen this happen?
I have seen mine sticking at low temp when I get in and then it starts adjusting after about 10 minutes of driving. Today in fact I got in the nitro and the tempo said 83 and it was 100 outside after a little driving it started to move and stopped at 102.

· Registered
425 Posts
The temperature will not be accurate until some air flows over the sensor and it adjusts to the outside temp. It can get heated up while parked from the under hood heat, or the sun. A lot of the time my passengers would say the temperature is wrong, I just tell them you have to drive for 15 minutes before it shows the correct temperature.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.