Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 2010 nitro with the 4.0 engine. recently my cooling system has started to over pressurize and cause the coolant to fill up the overflow bottle and spit out of the bleeder hole and eventually cause the car to overheat due to low coolant. I've recently replaced the thermostat and the radiator. Ive checked the heater core and it is not plugged, and the water pump is also having no issues.

Knowing my luck, I have a crack in the head causing the pressure, but I have no oil in the coolant or coolant in the oil. if anyone has had this problem or could point me to a possible cause, that would be great. thanks.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,207 Posts
With engine running can you see rapid bubbles in the reservoir? There is a test kit for exhaust gases you can also use.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes, the overflow bottle is filling up and even the overflow bottle is overflowing causing me to lose coolant. i did the exhaust gas test but it didnt show anything.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,207 Posts
Was it doing this prior to the parts replacement?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,207 Posts
How many miles? Was timing belt and water pump changed at 100K?
If air is trapped in the system, most have just put the RF wheel on a ramp, or jack, to burp the 4.0.

Reactions: intruder

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i kept getting the check engine light and overheating, thats what lead me to replace the thermostat. its just over160k, I never replaced the water pump but it seems to be working fine. no real leaks or anything. there's a bleeder at the back of the intake manifold that i used to make sure there was no major air pocket. i also vacuum filled the cooling system to make sure. im having the cylinders compression tested at the moment to find out if the head happens to be cracked. and im hoping its not that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
update: I did the cylinder leak down test and it is not leaking into the cooling system. I am really running out of ideas on what can cause this issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the short: the cooling system is getting over presurized and it causing the coolant to boil over into the overflow bottle. In turn, the bottle is filling up and leaking out of the cap.

Here is what ive done so far: new radiator, new thermostat (3 new ones actually) heater core flush. hoses checked. radiator cap replaced.

the only thing I really havent done anything with is the water pump but it doesnt seem to have any issues or leaks.

Ive been burping the system to prevent air pockets as well.

please help..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi! 160 K miles (256K kilometres) with the same water pump, seems to much, I change mine at 36K kilometers ,due to very minor leaks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts