Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Might be useful to list the third party part numbers on that same sticky thread. I didn't stop to think that this is a new model vehicle, and wasted an hour this morning going to the parts store to pick up a filter only to find that they didn't have anything listed yet. (The Nitro was in the computer, but not parts were listed.)

I'm getting a Mobil this time around, but I prefer K&N. If anybody finds the K&N equivalent, please post it...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes, I had the store cross-reference and they came up with HP-2009, too.

I bought an HP-2009 (and comapred it in the store to the Bosch 3422, they appeared to be identical), but when I got under my truck -- which is a 4 liter -- the Mopar filter was very different -- fatter and shorter. The Mopar filter has the part number shown in the sticky thread (5281090).

On the 4 liter engine, the oil change is very simple -- the filter sticks straight down off the bottom and isn't blocked by anything. The bad part is that the drain plug is on the front instead of the back, so when you have it up on ramps, the oil wants to arc out under pressure -- it shot nearly 2 feet forward. Very difficult to catch in the pan, and it splashes everywhere, and you have to keep moving the pan as the pressure drops. Kind of annoying.

Anyway, since the filter hangs straight down, the problem I see with these tall, skinny replacements is that they actually protrude slightly below the crossmember -- having your oil filter as the lowest point on the truck is very bad news. Although I greatly prefer K&N filters, they're the worst of all in this situation because they also have that 1" nut on the bottom, making them protrude even further down. Even the stock one is pretty vulnerable to impact, though. The oil lines are right next to the filter, and are also extremely vulnerable.

An easily-removable skid plate is practically a necessity, I think. Fortunately, the cross member and a rail in front of the oil pan are in exactly the right place to mount one.

·
Registered
148 Posts
That's odd. The sticky thread doesn't show different part numbers for each engine. I use HP-2004's on my Viper and my V10 Ram, and now that you mention it, the HP-2004 does look just like the stock 5281090.

Well, that's two for two now, where the sticky-thread info doesn't specify a model and isn't right for my truck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.