Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, haven't been on in a while as life has been crazy but I need your help. I just finished an oil change and did a seafoam spray treatment through my throttle body. As per the seafoam instructions, after letting the nitro hot soak for 10 minutes, I started it up, let it warm up, and then drove it and applied "spirited acceleration ". Well, this is when things went from all good to oh shit real fast. I got on the highway, was giving it that spitlrited acceleration when safe to do so and was fine for a few miles... then it started. I heard a quick squeal and then a violent jerk as if I lost acceleration for a split second and then it "caught" again.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have checked and cleaned the MAP sensor and IAT sensor and they seemed fine. I also couldn't find any loose or cracked vacuum lines either. P0507 is the only code that is coming up, and the only other thing I've done to the Nitro was to fill the rear differential fluid (which was near empty).

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if this is related at all, but noticed these were a bit wet when I was looking for loose vacuum hoses and don't know what they are. The pics may be hard to see, but these are located right behind where the transmission dipstick should be (dealer use only cap).

Attachments

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,142 Posts
One looks like a breather tube dust cap. Possibility from the front axle.
Squeal and jerk. Maybe a pulley locked up briefly? A/C clutch or A/C pulley seized.

P0507 = Idle speed performance higher than excepted.
Vacuum leak. Did you induce the Seafoam into the brake booster Vacuum line?
This error can also just be because of the Seafom usage. Idol will not be normal till it works thru.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was thinking possibly a seized pulley, but it only seems to happen when I accelerate. I suppose it could be one ready to completely fail? How would I go about figuring out which pulley it is?

I did not put it through the brake booster this time, as inused the spray right into the TB. In the past I have used the brake booster, but never had anything this severe from using it... other than a slight rough idle as it worked its way through.

The idle seems to be fine, and feels more likely a pulley issue. I just don't know how to go about narrowing down which pulley is causing the issue.

Reactions: Scar0

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, so I pulled off the overflow and washer fluid reservoir and pulled the belt off. Belt was in fair condition, but saw some signs of wear so I bought a new one. Checked each of the pullies and all seemed to be good except the idler pulley (which spun a bit too freely and had a slight noise to it). Replaced both and now getting a horrible repetitive whining sound that I can figure out. Everything seems to be lined up right, and plenty of tension on the belt. Don't want to take it out on the road until I figure this out, so won't know if any of that was the cause of the jerking or not. It's hot out, and I'm frustrated so going to take an hour or so to step away from it for now.

Reactions: Scar0 and Nitrogen

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good thing I took that step away... went back to take another look at the belt and realized... I put the beltnon wrong 🤡
After fixing that mistake I thought I was in the clear so I took it out for a quick drive. Halfway through, and the jerk happened again. This time didn't seem as violent though, so I'm wondering if the seafoam spray may have had something to do with it after all. 🤷‍♂️
Going to be putting some cautious miles on it today, so I will update if anything changes.
Is there a diagram of all the vacuum hoses for the Nitro? If it doesn't go away on its own, I'm thinking it may be worth replacing the vacuum lines purely to rule out any leaks that may not be visible, or i simply missed.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
New codes... P0734 and P1790 🤢🤮

I'm really worried this is going to cost me more money than the Nitro is worth at this point, and I can't afford to put a new transmission in it, nor can I afford to buy a new car right now. Is there any chance this will be something simple? ...or am I totally screwed?

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
fingers crossed, everything will be fine

the first thing i would do, is check the condition of the spark plugs

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fingers crossed, everything will be fine

the first thing i would do, is check the condition of the spark plugs
Spark plugs? I thought these were both transmission related codes. Could the plugs really cause the trans to stop shifting?

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
changing the engine oil and spraying the seafoam should not had had any effect on your transmission,

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It mush have just been a coincidence then... because I definitely have transmission troubles now. Driving yesterday I was on the highway and 3 or 4 miles in the trans stopped shifting and stayed in (I believe) second gear. Dropped the trans pan this morning and found this... (see pics)

Attachments

·
Registered
5,029 Posts
oh shit, what do you think the piece is ?.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
oh shit, what do you think the piece is ?.
Not positive, but from what searching I've done today it looks like most likely part of a snap ring to a clutch pack.
No idea how much it's going to cost to get fixed, but I'm thinking it may require a transmission rebuild.... depending on how much that is going to cost, I may have to decide if the Nitro is worth putting the money into it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts