Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening guys/lasses

I hope I'm not being cheeky by signing up to this forum and asking for advice but I'm new to discovering this group and need help, my 2008 nitro failed it's Mot today, first time in 3 years (I know I've been lucky) but the garage had no idea what could be causing the problem without stripping the rear brake down, basically the hand brake on the rear drivers side isn't working at all, the passenger side is fine but the drivers side isn't, has anyone experienced this before and is it a simple fix? I have a friend who is mechanical minded so we can give it a go but just wanted a head start so have been googling it and this is how I've discovered this site! Any help would be really appreciated!
Cheers
Jim

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,427 Posts
Check the e-brake cables. The one to the driver side may have broken or stretched enough to not engage the brake.

Reactions: pat5150

·
Registered
180 Posts
Maybe the cable broke, but when I did my brakes, I found the cable to be very robust and in good condition. The lever, on the other hand, that the cable is connected to behind the dust cover could have snapped off. On the driver's side, it's behind the axle inside the entire brake assembly.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Yes when you remove Centre console you can see the start of the 2 cables and see if they move freely. One may have rusted internally and thus won't move.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments so far, think I'll start with removing the centre console and then go from there, appreciate the help guys

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi all,
Here is another Nitro with parking brake failure, it won't hold even
at the top position. I took off the console to see there has been some DIY fixes to the self-adjusting system by previous owner.🤔 The spring-drum is fixed by two screws (see the photo). I don't know what will happen if I loosen those screws😬. Any advice how to improve the parking brake is welcome.

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
this rod that ison the stud of the rear most ount on the brake leve. I so not have that in my Nitro.Perhaps this is an attempt to prevent the whole mechanism from pulling back>

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,827 Posts
Hi all,
Here is another Nitro with parking brake failure, it won't hold even at the top position. I took off the console to see there has been some DIY fixes to the self-adjusting system by previous owner.🤔 The spring-drum is fixed by two screws (see the photo). I don't know what will happen if I loosen those screws😬. Any advice how to improve the parking brake is welcome.
The spring around the drum is broken! That is why the "fix" screws are in there.
IMO the whole thing needs to be replaced.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts