Dodge Nitro Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
My parking break lever button has no spring back to it! ( stays in unless I pull it out)
If I pull lever up whilst pulling button out the hand break works otherwise doesn’t stay up.
Does this mean a new unit?.
Thanks

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
i don't think you would need to replace the lever assembly i think you will find that the return mechanism is just stuck, but to clean and free it off it's best to remove the assembly, it's not that big of a job, plus if you give the big springs a good spray clean with WD40 the hand brake cable auto adjuster tends to works alot better,

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi
I pulled out the button on handbrake lever with grips & it came out with a broken spring (button is on a long plastic rod with C shape at the end which i guess slots on to a bar inside parking brake. Seems if fit new spring at the button that now i will have to remove consule o click the c shaped end to the bar on parking brake .

·
Registered
5,418 Posts
maybe its best to get a second hand brake lever,
it's easy to remove the console, the plastic silver cover around the gear lever simply pulls off, then you can see the console fixing screws, also inside the console storage compartment there are few more screws, undo the zip on the parking brake lever gaitor, then pull, wiggle and push and the console will come out, unplug the 4x4 switch connector, i may of forgotten a few bits of info, but thats the basics,

right next to the brake lever there is a ABS module, it's recommended that the vehicle battery is disconnected as a safety precaution,
hope this helps

1 - 6 of 6 Posts