Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I need some help. 2 years ago I installed the OEMassive Projector Halo headlight assemblies in my 2011 Nitro SE 3.7L. Recently the LED parking light went out on the driver's side. The hazards work perfectly. When I use the turn signal the first time I start the truck, it'll blink normal 5-7 times then it starts blinking really fast. Kinda like on a car with bulbs, when the bulb blows out. The weird thing is, the LED turn signal in the assembly still blinks, just faster than normal, but only if I don't have my lights on. If my lights are on, since the parking light is not lit, the blinker doesn't work. The other weird thing is that if I shut off the truck, when I start it up again, the blinker will work normally for the 5-7 blinks then go back to being fast.

So far I've tried a 30 minute neg battery disconnect. I also took the assembly out and looked for loose connections and frayed wires. I found none. Now I am at a loss as to what the problem may be. I don't think it would be the LED or the assembly itself. My reasoning is that if either of those were the case, the LED wouldn't do anything at all.

Any help, suggestions or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,997 Posts
If the computer detects a problem is will turn off that circuit. My bet is the LED control chip is bad within the unit.

Reactions: Nitrogen and CDB

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Scar0. If it were the control chip, wouldn't the blinker not work at all? It still blinks on the outside when the lights are turned off, just faster than normal (after initial 5-7 blinks). It blinks normally on the outside with the hazards turned on. The only time it wont blink on the outside is if I have the lights turned on, because the parking light is out.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,997 Posts
With after market lights its hard to say.

Reactions: Nitrogen

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Could it be the multi-function switch or the clock springs? I can't find a replacement for anywhere, without buying a set of headlight assemblies and the sets are twice what I paid for the ones I have. I even emailed OEMassive, but have not heard back from them. I guess I'll have to do this by trial and error.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
my guess would be the LED resistor pack that comes with the headlights is faulty,
the small brown module in the pic.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Nitrogen. I didn't even think about that being faulty. Now to find one online somewhere so I can start with that.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
not really sure what's in the small brown box could be a simple resistor or CAN BUS device, could be an LED driver, could be both, so be careful what you order,
the connectors on the aftermarket lights are not the best for waterproofing, so definatly have a close look at them before you order anything

is the hyperflash issue with both left and right turn signals ?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank again Nitrogen. I don't know what it is either. I can't find anything that looks similar when searching resistors. When I look at similar headlight assemblies, none of them call out exactly what the brown box is. I'll keep searching though.

Hyper flash is only on the driver's side.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
do you think you can remove the front grill with the headlights, (only takes 10 minutes) then plug the left headlight into the right side and see if the fault is still there, the only reason i say this is because a few members have had issues with a bad ground to the turn signal,

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will try that this weekend, if I have time and good weather. I still can't find anything that resembles the little brown box. Can't even find what it's call. Well, I can find ones that look similar in appearance, but they are just listed for motorcycles. Not sure if I want to try and rig that up to work. Everything else is an inline resistor with one wire on either side or they have plugs on either side and are made to plug directly into a bulb. Not looking promising. I just emailed OEMassive again. Hopefully I'll hear from them soon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I finally heard back from OEMassive. The said they can't, or don't have available just the resistor for sale. Their recommendation was to take my car to a mechanic or auto shop and have them install a new resistor. Yeah, like that's gonna happen.

On the bright side, I went out to pick up dinner last night and the parking light came on when I turned on my headlights. Still went into hyper flash after the initial 5-7 blinks, but it is a step in the right direction. This leads me to believe that it is definitely the resistor. Just wish there was a replacement available.

I'll keep trying things and post back if/when I make any progress.

Thanks to all.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, it's not the resistor (little brown box). I wasn't able to switch the assemblies around like Nitrogen suggested. I would have to undo the splice for halos on both sides & I just don't have the time for that. I think if the ground was bad it wouldn't light up or flash at all. What I did do is switch the resistors and the hyper flash stayed on the drivers side. The only thing that would be an issue with the resistor, is if the plug from the headlight assembly that plugs into the resistor is bad. It's either that or, like Scar0 stated, it's the control chip in the assembly went bad or has a loose wire. Guess I'll have to take it somewhere to have it diagnosed. This sucks.

·
Registered
4,988 Posts
maybe one last thing to check is, at any point when the blinker is flashing, are any of the LED's dead or dieing ?

i wouldn't take it for a diagnose, just put the money towards a new set, ScarO is all ready on his second set due to the lenses discolouring, just a thought.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for all your ideas Nitrogen. There are no dead or dying LED lights.

I really wish there was a simple fix. I can't see buying a new set for such a small, stupid problem. A new set is going to cost a lot more than what my wife paid for these 2 years ago. They were a gift for Father's Day. I'll probably just deal with it until I get pulled over or have to take it for inspection. Then I'll just put the stock ones back in, since I haven't found anyone to buy them yet.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
29,997 Posts
Then I'll just put the stock ones back in, since I haven't found anyone to buy them yet.
That was going to be my next suggestion. At least to see if the fault goes away.

Reactions: CDB
1 - 16 of 16 Posts