Dodge Nitro Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I need your help with a 2008 (2010 in paper) Dodge NitroCRD 2.8. The issue is that te engine seems to be in Degraded Mode, transmission cannot go beyond 100km/60mph because it cannot accelerate to more than 3000rpm. The engine check light is ON, Alarm is ON and scan tools getting only P0610 fault code.
Decoding the fault code pointed the PCM/ECU. We checked the PCM and found that the VIN printed in front of the PCM (which is showing in OBD interface too) does not match the VIN printed in the vehicle/chassis.

Is this mismatch can cause poor transmission? Is it possible the engine start sand runs even if the PCM is not well programmed with correct data of the vehicle?
Current ECU Ref : 0281013651 bosch / 05094575AE Chrysler

·
I work so I can... SQUIRREL!
2,508 Posts
It sounds like the ECU may have been replaced at some point. I read up on this issue and found this...

Code P0610 = Control Module Vehicle Options Error

The ECM looks for input from a TCM (transmission control module), indicating an automatic transmission is in service - if that signal is not present, ECM assumes manual transmission. You might try removing the ECM connectors, clean the connection pins, then reinsert them. Disconnect your battery first! Reconnect power and see if this fixes it...

Otherwise, you may need to have the ECU re-flashed at a dealership to fix the problem, and have the variant coding reset (this is part of the flash procedure). You only need to replace the ECU if you have a P0606 that won't disappear. Ask the dealership to do this re-flash first before replacing the module. You could also disconnect the battery overnight, but I'm not sure if it will do anything for you.

·
2,508 Posts
I also found this on Allpar.com, in regard to ECU and TCM communication, which may explain your inability to go above a certain speed/RPM.

From www.allpar.com...
  • When the computer indicates major failure, it can activate Limp In mode, which guesses about data to compensate for sensor failure, allowing you to get the car to a mechanic. One major symptom of this is the transmission sticking in second gear. This is a feature!
  • Ground strap broken/missing - may be misdiagnosed as needing a new transmission and/or computer.
  • Gear selector issues.
  • Loose electrical connection
  • Computer firmware needs upgrade (Chrysler dealer should do this for free but might run up to $200)
Hope this info helps in figuring out the issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you Metadog for these useful information.
I'll try the instructions on Monday with Reparator. I think the ECU needs only to be reflashed with correct data/VIN and YME. Can you suggest any OBD interface that can help me proceed with the reflash with the help of the reparator? And what software should I use?

We need to do it ourselves because there is no approved dodge dealer in the market.

·
2,508 Posts
Unfortunately, I have no suggestions on an ECU re-programmer, interface, or software. That's said, someone more knowledgeable than I may know of one.

The Chrysler dealer uses the StarScan diagnostic tool. A used one will cost easily $1K+, and $2500+ for new.

Some mechanics shops may have reprogramming tools. So, you could call around to some shops. Find out if they can do it, and what they would charge.

Wish I had a better answer for you...

·
Registered
92 Posts
weird.

intercooler hoses are ok ?

at very beginning of problems, cracks are not really evident..

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,201 Posts
StarScan tool and an account with dodge is required to flash the computers.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hear that StartScan is obsolete and no longer supported. Cn you confirm this? Or suggest a link to buy the Interface?

By Dodge Account you mean buying an access to techauthority.com?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Not sure a reflash will do it. I've only seen failsafe like this a couple times before. Once it was bad wiring another it was a bad module. Limp home mode should make it locked into 2nd or 3rd gear. It may also hold the waste gate wide open to prevent over boost.try disconnecting the battery to reset it. If your rig ran fine for you before than you have more than a software problem. If you do not have a sensor or wiring problem you need a new ECU....sorry.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for your input. A new ECU alo will require reprogram right? Or, it'll be plug and play?

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,201 Posts
You are correct the StarScan is out dated but still used by some shops. The latest is StarMobile and WiTech.
The link you posted says " Can't Be Updated, also pls do not connect the network".
My guess is it is pirated... Only usable for basic functions.

·
Registered
322 Posts
You need a shop with a flash tool. I think it's a j2534 pass thru. What this does is allow you to link with oem software through a computer and let you do flashing or anything else a OE scan tool can do. These tools are becoming quite common at independent garages due to how complex new vehicles are. I'd rec. Calling around and asking shops if they have that tool and if they are familiar with flash programming Chrysler vehicles. And yes a new ECU will need programming. Plug and play on that stuff did away in the mid 90s.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everybody for your suggestion. I bought a J2534 pass thru device from Drew Technology along with an online subscription at TechAuthority to do the Flash. When attempting to Flash using the Chrysler Flash Application, after reading part number, it fails and point out the ECU part number.

I intend now to hack the flash file and force it to change Part Number. But I'm wondering about the VIN and vehicle info rewriting. I read somewhere that Chrysler does not provide VIN rewriting for j2435 device for vehicles with CAN protocol? (the 2008 Nitro 2.8 use CAN protocol).

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,201 Posts
Can you treat the PCM as new/replaced and reflash it with your VIN# ?

·
Registered
322 Posts
Some ecus lock the vin only to allow for a one time flash. Been down that road on lots of different makes trying to use salvage yard ecus. It's hit or miss. Let me know if you can hack it I'd be interested how. Could save my customers some bucks down the road. But hey props for buying the j tool. That's going over and beyond. FYI while doing flashing unless you have a VERY good battery charger it is a good idea to hook up a jump pack while flashing. You do not want battery voltage to fall and most chargers don't produces a clean enough voltage to be doing flashes.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,201 Posts
With a VIN mismatch I would guess it is not original.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got the car with this ECU in it but it's not the original one. According to the Part Number and the VIN printed to it, it's from a 2007 Nitro 2.8 while mine is a 2008.
Replace requires VIN rewriting while Chrysler's legacy Application for j2435 doesn't support VIN writing using CAN protocol. The J-Device support Read/Clear/Write ECU VIN and Write, unfortunately the nitro is CAN protocol based.

Without a "don't do that or you card will no longer run", I intend to apply the flash calibration today.

Thanks.

·
Khaki Nitro Nut
30,201 Posts
I found this on the dcc tools web site in the J2534 PDF manual.
"1996- 2009 All PCMs
If you are REPLACING a PCM or ECM and the vehicle is equipped with a
theft deterrent system (Sentry Key), it must be initialized to properly function with the Anti - Theft module.
You also need to reprogram the VIN when replacing a PCM or ECM.
To write the VIN to the ECU and initialize the PCM to work with the theft deterrent system, you may use aftermarket software support, or use an
OEM Chrysler Group LLC scan tool (DRBIII or StarSCAN)."

Also see Article ID: 69 titled "PCM Has Been Replaced – What To Do Next?"

Can you see the TCM (NAG1[W5A580] automatic transmission control module) on the J2534 tool? It is physically located under the dash.
P0610-ECU VEHICLE OPTIONS MISMATCH
Set Condition: There is a transmission coding error in the Engine Control Module (ECM).

1 - 20 of 47 Posts